[MV1-FZ] Minor Bios/Xhatch Problems

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Ok things get frustrating when ... after a couple of weeks of not playing any NG due to work/family etc....I go into my games room, fire up my CMVS and something pops up :/ (not in a good way)

So basically, few years back I consolized my 1slot FZ board, I have basic (VERY BASIC:scratch:) electronic and soldering skills but thanks to this forum, Xian Xi`s site (JammaNationX) and a couple of helpful chaps I managed to do it, all worked fine, then I noticed I need a UniBios to get things running as intended :) and got one off Razoola its on 3.0 or 3.1 atm

Now my problem is, when I swtich on my MVS, if there is no cart inserted I just get a white blank screen, if there is the 161 in 1 cart it just loads up normally, but goes into default as "AES" and "Europe".
The Xhatch should pop up, if no cart is inserted, and tbh I don`t know if there is something wrong with the board or my wiring so I did not try any legit MVS carts so as to avoid damage (i`d rather damage the 161 in 1 tbh).

I am pretty sure, from my little exp that if I remove the Unibios and plug in a standard bios chip some error will pop up. (I cannot try it as I dont have the original bios :angry:)

Also finally the dip switches (there are 7 or 8 on the left side when the console is facing cart inserts towards person) I noticed that the 1st and 2nd switches are "loose" as in they don`t click and lock properly in place, they do move, but I have no idea if they are actually making a change or not.

Any hints of where I should start?
(p.s. otherwise I can play all night long, everything works fine, just can`t set region or mvs/aes and therefore I know somerthing is wrong, and w/o cart inserted nothing pops up just a white screen!)

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
So if you hold down A+B+C when you boot it up with the cart inserted you are not taken to the menu where you can change the MVS/AES settings?

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Will check out later today when I get home after work and let you know :) (2am here and away atm)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's in AES mode then it will just show a white screen if you have a Unibios.

When you power your board on at the Unibios screen hit A+B+C and change the region/setting to MVS/Arcade instead of Home/AES.

GadgetUK

Ace Ghost Pilot
If it's in AES mode then it will just show a white screen if you have a Unibios.

When you power your board on at the Unibios screen hit A+B+C and change the region/setting to MVS/Arcade instead of Home/AES.

Sounds like the start of a backup RAM problem to me. Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery - to force a full backup RAM test? Not sure if unibios does a test as a matter of course or only when the RAM has not been flagged as previously tested and setup.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Heya all, thanks for the prompt reply, so it had turned out that (as I told you) my soldering sucks and button 3 got dc from the board`s soldering point, thus I could not access the unibios menu, now that is fine, got some weird kinda missing sounds (like the neogeo intro logo jingle etc) but i`m sure it is because of the custom rgb scart cable I did, probably some other solder points got loose, I checked all the board while I was there and all is ok, so it just cuts down to the cable I did :)

One last thing I also remember I had placed a new battery holder i.e. changed it a per tutorial on JammaNaxtionX but never actually fitted a battery lol so it is not saving the bios settings and resets to Aes and Europe everytime I switch it on, but at least its minor stuff :)
Thanks once again, I really wouldnt have ever turned that 1 slot w/o ur help guys :)

Owwww bdw, any recommendations for a good but cheap supergun, might keep an eye out for a cheap 2 slot board (as I like the top loading like the AES) and would like to test it first, before starting any works, and also might come across a couple of PCB games which I wouldnt mind keeping for collection, and whats the point of having a game and not be able to play it :)

So i got my neo geo controllers, a 400x atx PSU (dunno if it has -5v on it, quite possibly it was on a P4 or amd from that time), apart a standard scart to scart for my crt would I need speakers for sound? or there are any superguns that output sound firectly into the tv`s scart? (dont want to spend more than 45 euros really this might sit there for months doing nothing xD)

Pope Sazae

Be on the lookout for a Vogatek supergun. They ca be found for pretty cheap and are very good.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Be on the lookout for a Vogatek supergun. They ca be found for pretty cheap and are very good.

yes did some research and found them poppin in most ppl`s discussions, however I cama across a couple of issues of ppl complaining they took ages to get theirs delivered, but, my biggest question now is, which Mark (version) should I go for? (all i need is a simple supergun where I can plug scart to tv(and if possible includes sound), 2 neo geo controllers and an atx psu) If i remember correctly MkIV was ideal .... am I right? (this is a MkIV http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/JAMMA-ARC...eo_Games_Coin_Operated_MJ&hash=item4d1368cc0b)

and finally and particular recommended sites were to check?

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

If you can use an SCART connection for your TV then the MV IV would be a great one to get. Check the eBay for one and you can also create a WTB thread on here looking for one and you may get lucky.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
If you can use an SCART connection for your TV then the MV IV would be a great one to get. Check the eBay for one and you can also create a WTB thread on here looking for one and you may get lucky.

cool, will post one here yea, someone might have one that isnt using much or not at all :) as for the sound will that be outputted via scart (i.e. from tv speakers) or will have to use some seperate speakers via a 3.5mm jack output (cos I notoced most superguns have that output)

Pope Sazae

cool, will post one here yea, someone might have one that isnt using much or not at all :) as for the sound will that be outputted via scart (i.e. from tv speakers) or will have to use some seperate speakers via a 3.5mm jack output (cos I notoced most superguns have that output)

Since I'm in the US I have no use for SCART so I couldn't tell you how the sound output is as I have never used a Mk IV