Naomi Netboot Help (continuation thread)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I opened this thread to end the off-topic i created here: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?246150-Atomiswave-to-Naomi

Following you guy's latest advice, i tried "triforcetools.py" with the same result:

oi2e.jpg

After that, i went the router way.
I connected both the Naomi and the pc. My PC acquired the IP 192.168.2.100 and i set the Naomi to 192.168.2.101. Machine Ping's OK with no packet loss. Tried to boot again, and guess what?

b2xy.jpg

I also used the files sent by Tyranix95.

I'm running out of solutions :crying:

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Have you ever successfully net booted with this Net DIMM? Is it possible there is something wrong with it? Is it running 4.0.1 or the hacked 4.0.2 software?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
What NAOMI are you using: 1 or 2?

And what BIOS is on the board?

And can you access the DIMM board in the NAOMI Test Menu?

If so, what is the Firm Ware version on the NET/DIMM board?

And, can you preform a DIMM board test?

---

FTR: I use:

1. XP Pro (Win_32 based). And the Python files for Win32.

2. With either a NETGEAR RangeMax Wireless N Router (WNR834B v2) or a LYNKSYS WRT300-N Wireless N Router--with default settings. DHCP configured. And both wireless and straight through cable work fine.

3. And a NAOMI 1 with either a G or H BIOS chip.

4. And my NET/DIMM board has 4.02 Firmware.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Q-Have you ever successfully net booted with this Net DIMM?
A - With a friend's PC we were able to boot games but we got an error at the end, bu at least we could see the progress and Naomi booted to the "Memory check" screen.

Q- Is it running 4.0.1 or the hacked 4.0.2 software?
A - 4.0.1

Q - What NAOMI are you using: 1 or 2?
A - 2

Q - And what BIOS is on the board?
A - 23605B

Q - And can you access the DIMM board in the NAOMI Test Menu?
A - With no problems

Q - If so, what is the Firm Ware version on the NET/DIMM board?
A - 4.0.1

Q - And, can you preform a DIMM board test?
A - Everything checks ok

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
What OS are you using for the cpu? Looks like Windows 7.

Also, trivial question at this point, but what Power Supply are you using for the Naomi?

... After that, i went the router way.

I connected both the Naomi and the pc. My PC acquired the IP 192.168.2.100 and i set the Naomi to 192.168.2.101. Machine Ping's OK with no packet loss. Tried to boot again, and guess what?

And, double checking:

1. The router sees both the CPU and the NAOMI 2.
2. And you can PING both the CPU and the NAOMI 2.

Last edited:

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
1 - Yes
2 - And Yes

It's the standard Power Supply that comes with every Naomi Universal.

I'm using Windows 7 because it's the only Laptop i have acces to.

I will be damned if during this week i don't disconnect my entire PC and bring it close to the naomi to try with Windows XP :mad::mad::mad:

Edit - I just remembered i have a veeeery long ethernet cable. Will try to connect the Naomi to the router with a Windows PC.

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Find the naomi_boot.ph and the triforcetools.py files.

Next Right Click on each file (on at a time) and open it with "Edit with PythonWin."

Next a window will open up. Click on Edit, in the menu bar. Then select GoTo Line.... . And enter 10.

You should go to the line with the triforce ip info.

My line looks like this:

Code:
triforce_ip = "192.168.1.103"

What does your line look like?

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Long live the Windows XP :buttrock:

I just installed everything IN THE EXACT SAME WAY on my Windows XP computer and worked on the first try. I'm so happy and mad at the same time,lolol.

I can't thank you enough for all your help, i really can't, you guys were great!!!

Tried a couple of games and all worked great, except for Border Down that gave me Caution 54. Is it monitor related? Border Down is in "yoko" not "tate" right?

Ikaruga, altough it is tate worked great.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
All Right!! :)

---

Error 54 means go into Test Mode and Change the Screen Orientation in the System Assignments Menu.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
Long live the Windows XP :buttrock:

I just installed everything IN THE EXACT SAME WAY on my Windows XP computer and worked on the first try. I'm so happy and mad at the same time,lolol.

I can't thank you enough for all your help, i really can't, you guys were great!!!

Tried a couple of games and all worked great, except for Border Down that gave me Caution 54. Is it monitor related? Border Down is in "yoko" not "tate" right?

Ikaruga, altough it is tate worked great.

Glad you got it working. This is why I use linux for python stuff, but anyway...

Yes border down is normal (yoko) monitor orientation. If you still had your system assignments set to vertical for Ikaruga you'll need to change it back in test mode.

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_NAOMI_Error_Codes

Caution 54

Display: GAME ASSIGNMENTS ARE INCORRECT. SET CORRECTLY IN SYSTEM ASSIGNMENTS OF TEST MODE.
Cause: The setting of MONITOR TYPE differs from the correct setting of the game.
Countermeasures: Enter the TEST mode, and change the MONITOR TYPE setting of MONITOR TYPE in SYSTEM ASSIGNMENTS to the correct setting suitable for the game. For the correct setting, refer to the Instruction Manual attached to the game. If necessary, perform Horizontal/Vertical transposition of the monitor, as applicable.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Only answering now because i found the solution (easy this time) and was testing Border Down.

Wow! what a blast, can't wait to proper test it tomorrow. Time to sleep now :D

Westcb

Give an Azn, A Break Here!,
Only answering now because i found the solution (easy this time) and was testing Border Down.

Wow! what a blast, can't wait to proper test it tomorrow. Time to sleep now :D

So I got the exact same error you did 10054, following all the steps from the atomiswave thread, and I too am using win7, is there no way to use win7 for this setup? Looks like your solution was use winxp, is that the only thing you did different?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
So I got the exact same error you did 10054, following all the steps from the atomiswave thread, and I too am using win7, is there no way to use win7 for this setup? Looks like your solution was use winxp, is that the only thing you did different?

For the hell of it, I tested the naomi_boot.py script with windows 7 and it worked fine for me. I'm not positive if it varies at all from the triforcetools.py script. It may be working becuase my laptop has a 32 bit install of win7 for some reason. I usually use linux anyway, and the standard python install on ubuntu netboots just fine.

I'll send you the files that worked for me.

Westcb

I finally got it sorted, I tried the files on 3 pcs different OS and turns out for whatever reason I can't use 192.168.0.178 on the net city. I tried every python revision script and same result. The router was setup correctly would ping and everything but I got that same error over and over. Changed ip to 192.168.0.8 and worked perfect. Changed everything back to 178 and quit working. Tried 192.168.0.7 worked. Went back to 178 , nope. Oh well it's working great :-) just stay away from 178 :-)

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
In my case, i tried different IP's, i could ping all of them but always got the error when booting the game.

I copied everything to the Windows XP computer, it worked and i never looked back.

Now i'm using a tp-link tl-wr710n to wireless netboot, and it's just perfect :buttrock:

Westcb

In my case, i tried different IP's, i could ping all of them but always got the error when booting the game.

I copied everything to the Windows XP computer, it worked and i never looked back.

Now i'm using a tp-link tl-wr710n to wireless netboot, and it's just perfect :buttrock:

Sounds awesome, I would love to load games wirelessly, is there a link to a setup like that? Also, using the files that were uploaded for you, I can not get street fighter zero 3 upper to load, does that one work for you? It loads but then says it's not compatible with I believe it said this main board or something like that.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
I remember trying that game and worked with no problem.

maybe it has something to do with the bios? I have a Japanese by the way.

Edit - If you want to go wireless, it's the exact same way as if you were using a router but you connect the netdimm to the wireless bridge instead. It's that simple.

Last edited:

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Definitely get a japan bios if you're not using one already. There's a program (patchv6.exe) that can patch / remove most region locks too.

Vladi

n00b
do you have a link of this patch because i was trying street fighter zero and it says its not compatible with the main board ?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
http://photosuckit.com/images/patchv6.exe

Most of the games I fixed with this were ones that would freeze or black-screen after boot. That said, it might work, as I did notice it removes region lock from a lot of files.

Just put this in the folder with your naomi games, pull up a cmd prompt and type "patchv6.exe gamename.bin" (If you're really lazy, dragging / dropping the .bin onto the .exe should work but then you won't see the output of the program to tell you what it did.)

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
http://photosuckit.com/images/patchv6.exe

Most of the games I fixed with this were ones that would freeze or black-screen after boot. That said, it might work, as I did notice it removes region lock from a lot of files.

Just put this in the folder with your naomi games, pull up a cmd prompt and type "patchv6.exe gamename.bin" (If you're really lazy, dragging / dropping the .bin onto the .exe should work but then you won't see the output of the program to tell you what it did.)

good to know :D thanks mang

Vladi

n00b
The patch worked with street fighter alpha 3 but it didnt work with capcom vs snk millenium fight pro

Westcb

Tried the patch worked great, and I actually have a Japanese bios here I can use, do all the games work with it? Like should I take out the USA H and use the JpN H instead?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
Glad it worked.

I use Japan bios for everything NAOMI 1, and I actually can't think of any games that don't boot on that bios. The only game I like a USA / Export bios for is Marvel vs. Capcom 2, since the assist type select is in Japanese if you use a Japan bios. That said if all the games you like to play work on your current bios with the patch, then I wouldn't bother changing it out.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Sorry for the necro bump...

Is there a stupid bitch proof way of doing all this?

I feel like I am running around in circles...

I got it to where I can ping the netdimm with no problems...

But I really don't understand all this python stuff at all.

Whoops....

Got it all worked out. transfergame.exe worked was easier.

Last edited: