PDA

View Full Version : Best EURO SCART Switch for use with XRGB Mini?

Docfitz01
10-14-2013, 12:11 PM
I believe the title says it all. I am looking for recommendations on a EURO SCART switch for use with my XRGB Mini. I have been told that the silver and black ones sold on eBay between 15$ and 30$ are garbage and I want to find one that will not disappoint me and has at least 4 SCART inputs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Docfitz01

Teddy KGB
10-14-2013, 12:31 PM
http://www.videogameperfection.com/av-gear/scart-switch-roundup/

Check the link here. Pretty informative.

In general, the Hama 100s is probably the best bang for the buck along with decent performance. I had to use amazon.co.uk as I wanted the black box (vs the silver). If you decide that's what you want, I may have an extra.

MtothaJ
10-29-2013, 05:14 AM
I believe the title says it all. I am looking for recommendations on a EURO SCART switch for use with my XRGB Mini. I have been told that the silver and black ones sold on eBay between 15$ and 30$ are garbage and I want to find one that will not disappoint me and has at least 4 SCART inputs. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Just got the Hama AV100S in black from Amazon.co.uk yesterday - it looks and feels like a quality product, RGB works fine on every input, there are no problems associated with interference / signal degradation, also has a handy RCA breakout for sound.
Not using it with a XRGB Mini though but with a Sony BVM monitor connected via BNC to Scart cable.

MtothaJ
01-03-2014, 02:52 PM
Just got the Hama AV100S in black from Amazon.co.uk yesterday - it looks and feels like a quality product, RGB works fine on every input, there are no problems associated with interference / signal degradation, also has a handy RCA breakout for sound.
Not using it with a XRGB Mini though but with a Sony BVM monitor connected via BNC to Scart cable.

Need to come back on my above comment - as mentioned I am getting no interference using this switch box on a Sony BVM however I have also tried it on w Sony TV with Scart RGB I am getting intereference when using a Sega Mega Drive through the switchbox. The interesting thing is that on the BVM the RGB button on the switchbox does no do anything, while on the SOny TV it is a prerequisite that it is depressed for RGB mode to work. I guess the two displays process the signal differently.

For the Mega Drive I am using an offical Sega 'Adapteur R.V.B.' Scart cable and also tried with one from Retro Gaming Cables - same symptoms so cabling can be eliminated.

Xian Xi
01-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Is the MD cable using composite video or composite sync? Could also be a ground loop.

MtothaJ
01-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Is the MD cable using composite video or composite sync? Could also be a ground loop.

MD cable is using composite sync. I get no interference when connecting directly to the TV so its specifically something to do with the switch box. In any case not that much of a big deal for me but a bit disappoing nontheless considering the generally good reviews this box has.

Xian Xi
01-03-2014, 05:27 PM
MD cable is using composite sync. I get no interference when connecting directly to the TV so its specifically something to do with the switch box. In any case not that much of a big deal for me but a bit disappoing nontheless considering the generally good reviews this box has.

The cheap boxes have no shielding or filtering at all so that could be it.

MtothaJ
01-04-2014, 03:07 AM
The cheap boxes have no shielding or filtering at all so that could be it.

So what would be a recommended upmarket box (or put simply one that works without any degredation to signal quality etc.)?
My impression was that the one I got (i.e. Hama AV100S) was amongst the favourites on this forum and elsewhere with group buys being organised out of the US etc.

Weighing up my options of whether I should return this to Amazon...

Yodd
01-04-2014, 06:51 AM
I own and have sold a number of AV100S and clones of it.

When using it, for RGB sources, you want to make sure all 3 buttons on the left side are NOT pressed in. Sometimes you have to fiddle with them to make sure none of those 3 are pressed in. Those are used when recording from Scart sources to another scart device (VCR or dvd recorder or similar) and I have found that if they are pressed in then can lead to interference between multiple input sources. Especially if more than one source is turned on.

Is it only this one MD scart cable that is behaving this way?

jessiewonka
03-24-2014, 08:22 PM
So which switch did you end up with?

Do you have any Hamas left? I ended up with a Bandridge, though no SCART-to-SCART cable to try it out yet. But it sure seems pretty cheap.

In general, the Hama 100s is probably the best bang for the buck along with decent performance. I had to use amazon.co.uk as I wanted the black box (vs the silver). If you decide that's what you want, I may have an extra.

lwizardl
03-29-2014, 05:05 AM

thanks for that link, I plan on buying a xrgb mini and I know that info will help me

Dark Sakul
03-31-2014, 12:23 AM
I picked up a Bandridge 5 way scart selector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181291441109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Works pretty well, just as well as my silver Hama AV100S
I didn't see any cross talk or noise or brightness lost.

It also has this nice Red LED that lights up with a connection is active

One con I have is the switch box is all plastic and very light.

jessiewonka
03-31-2014, 04:42 AM
I picked up a Bandridge 5 way scart selector

http://www.ebay.com/itm/181291441109?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
Works pretty well, just as well as my silver Hama AV100S
I didn't see any cross talk or noise or brightness lost.

It also has this nice Red LED that lights up with a connection is active

One con I have is the switch box is all plastic and very light.

Do you happen to be using it with an XRGB-mini and/or any cable with a sync stripper?

sammargh
04-01-2014, 12:46 AM
I use a Shinybow SB-5525 with my XRGB-mini and have had 0 issues. It costs a bit more than the Banbridge however if you live in the states Shinybow actually sells it locally. Unlike the article says it's very easy to find but it's not cheap however it works 100% out of the box which is why I spent the extra penny.

http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=199

This is Shinybow's US distributor through Texas. According to my paypal history it was just under $190 shipped.

I spend a lot of time on something awful and they've found that with the Banbridge 5 way the 5th scart port is wired up weird and will cause strange things to happen like the power led on consoles turning on while being off using different ports. If you use it I'd just avoid plugging anything in the 5th port and you should be golden.

jessiewonka
04-01-2014, 04:25 AM
I use a Shinybow SB-5525 with my XRGB-mini and have had 0 issues. It costs a bit more than the Banbridge however if you live in the states Shinybow actually sells it locally. Unlike the article says it's very easy to find but it's not cheap however it works 100% out of the box which is why I spent the extra penny.

This is Shinybow's US distributor through Texas. According to my paypal history it was just under $190 shipped.

I spend a lot of time on something awful and they've found that with the Banbridge 5 way the 5th scart port is wired up weird and will cause strange things to happen like the power led on consoles turning on while being off using different ports. If you use it I'd just avoid plugging anything in the 5th port and you should be golden.

Tonight I was finally able to test the Banbridge and it's not working reliably for me. Some consoles turn on but have an unstable image, some won't turn on, some off/on. I suspect it's due to strange wiring in some ports as you say, and possibly due to not being powered and conflicting with the sync stripper in my XRGB-mini adapter. Some talk of this on the Shmups forum.

I see that Shinybow is powered, is goddamn sold in this country, well reviewed, and has a 6th port, making this feel like a solid choice. The cost is significantly higher, but I assumed I was going to need to spend beyond the Banbridge anyway.

One annoyance with the Banbridge, which may be the case with any switch, is that it amplified the slight buzz I get from the Omega to a very noticeable degree. I may end up just leaving it off the switch if the same thing happens with the Shinybow.

Yodd
04-01-2014, 08:22 AM
Is the Bandridge that you have the powered version? or the unpowered, completely manual version?

If you want to use a sync stripper in line with a XRGB-mini (or any other device), I would highly suggest not powering it off the bus power of consoles. It's really best to either use a completely separate psu, or get one that plugs into the power cable going into the Mini.

There is a fix for the 5th port acting up. Cutting a trace on the pcb inside it fixes it. Most likely it behaves this way because that last port is designed to have something bidirectional (like a VCR) hooked up to it.

Thread @ Shmups:
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48460

I would like to hear thoughts from others with the manual Bandridge as I am getting ready to import a bunch of them.

jessiewonka
04-01-2014, 12:10 PM
I have the manual, unpowered Bandridge. Saw that thread about the fix for the 5th port, but I'm having problems with nearly every port.

The sync stripper is in a retro_console_accessories mini adapter, unbeknownst to me until recently.

DeusVult
04-01-2014, 01:36 PM
I have the powered version and it seems to work fine, at first the picture sometimes vanished for a split second which was very annoying, I traced this to a dodgy cable once I replaced it that issue never happened again, I use a panel plasma so no speakers so the headphone out is great for me

jessiewonka
04-04-2014, 04:16 PM

Dude! Thank you for the Shinybow suggestion -- arrived this afternoon and works great. I tried it with with the Omega, SNES and Genesis, all via XRGB-mini, and can't tell the difference in quality. Built like a tank compared to the Bandridge, much higher quality than it appears in photos.

At first the Genesis seemed to have a sync issue, and I recall reading a review or two with some stability issues with Mega Drives. But now it seems fine and isn't dropping the connection.

Great find.

opt2not
04-04-2014, 04:48 PM
Dude! Thank you for the Shinybow suggestion -- arrived this afternoon and works great. I tried it with with the Omega, SNES and Genesis, all via XRGB-mini, and can't tell the difference in quality. Built like a tank compared to the Bandridge, much higher quality than it appears in photos.

At first the Genesis seemed to have a sync issue, and I recall reading a review or two with some stability issues with Mega Drives. But now it seems fine and isn't dropping the connection.

Great find.
Have you tried out the multi-output yet? I'd like to know if there is any video noise or degradation displaying on two TV's.

jessiewonka
04-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Have you tried out the multi-output yet? I'd like to know if there is any video noise or degradation displaying on two TV's.

No, I don't have a second display to try. But it's one or the other, I think, so can't imagine why there would be any degradation.

opt2not
04-04-2014, 05:12 PM
These switchers are supposed to be able to display 1 source to two outputs, which is one of the main reasons I'm interested in it. I'd like to have one output to a PVM, and the other to a XRGB-mini for capture.

jessiewonka
04-04-2014, 05:21 PM
These switchers are supposed to be able to display 1 source to two outputs, which is one of the main reasons I'm interested in it. I'd like to have one output to a PVM, and the other to a XRGB-mini for capture.

Here's what we do: send me your PVM and I'll test 'er out for a few months?

opt2not
04-04-2014, 05:24 PM
Here's what we do: send me your PVM and I'll test 'er out for a few months?
Heh, for the price of shipping my 20" PVM down to SF, I might as well spring for one and try it myself.

I figured if you were chiming-in on how great these are, you would have at least been able to comment on all it's capabilities. I figured wrong. :(

jessiewonka
04-04-2014, 05:35 PM
Heh, for the price of shipping my 20" PVM down to SF, I might as well spring for one and try it myself.

I figured if you were chiming-in on how great these are, you would have at least been able to comment on all it's capabilities. I figured wrong. :(

lol

kuze
08-16-2014, 10:39 PM
I just got around to testing out my Genesis through my 5-port Bandridge switches (the manual model) and found that I only get video when I hook it up via the fifth port (the one marked VCR). Anyone else experience this? My other consoles, like my Super Nintendo, work via the other ports -- but for some reason the Genesis only likes port 5?

The video out on the Bandridge switch is going to my XRGB-mini euro SCART adapter -> XRGB-mini, not sure if that would make a difference -- but I currently don't have any PVMs or other means of displaying RGB besides the Framemeister.

Yodd
08-16-2014, 11:11 PM
I just got around to testing out my Genesis through my 5-port Bandridge switches (the manual model) and found that I only get video when I hook it up via the fifth port (the one marked VCR). Anyone else experience this? My other consoles, like my Super Nintendo, work via the other ports -- but for some reason the Genesis only likes port 5?

The video out on the Bandridge switch is going to my XRGB-mini euro SCART adapter -> XRGB-mini, not sure if that would make a difference -- but I currently don't have any PVMs or other means of displaying RGB besides the Framemeister.

That's very odd.

Are you using a sync stripper anywhere in the video chain?

Teddy KGB
08-16-2014, 11:18 PM
If it's any consolation, I don't have this issue with my Genny or MD 1st gen, nor my CDX. I have the same Bandbridge + XRGB mini set-up.

kuze
08-17-2014, 12:06 AM
That's very odd.

Are you using a sync stripper anywhere in the video chain?

I don't believe so but I'll double check. The Genny SCART cable was sold as having 'raw sync', but I just figured it was using the csync line as is. It's a model 2 US Genesis.

Yodd
08-17-2014, 02:42 AM
I think you bought two of the switches through the group buy. Does it happen on both?

And if so, if you have the switch empty with no other cables plugged in, does the genesis still only work on port 5?

If so, I am leaning towards something be up with the scart cable. Perhaps open the scart cable end and take a couple high res photos of how it's wired.

GohanX
08-17-2014, 10:29 AM
I've got my Genny cable connected to the first port, it's worked with several different systems. I do get a nasty hum in the audio so I use the audio out of the Sega CD instead.

kuze
08-17-2014, 06:03 PM
I think you bought two of the switches through the group buy. Does it happen on both?

And if so, if you have the switch empty with no other cables plugged in, does the genesis still only work on port 5?

If so, I am leaning towards something be up with the scart cable. Perhaps open the scart cable end and take a couple high res photos of how it's wired.

Yeah it happens with both switches even if the Genny is the only connected source. I think you're right that it's something to do with my Genny SCART cable. Unfortunately the SCART side is glued shut on my cable so I can't open it without potentially breaking it. As such, it will just stay as input #5. Thanks for the input guys.

Archdesigner03
09-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Hi there,

I'm also interested in knowing which euro scart switch performs best with the mini. I plan to connect the AES, Omega, Genesis Model 2, and rbg Modded SNES Mini to the framemeister.

So far, based on my research Shinybow is the best bet but it's really pricey and Bandridge is a crap shoot from what I read. Any other alternatives?

Thanks!

KRiSX
09-22-2014, 09:40 PM
I'm using a gscartsw... 8 ports... auto switching... pretty awesome... pricey and you'll most likely be in for a wait for its great

Archdesigner03
09-24-2014, 02:53 AM
Damn, I'm late to the party for the gscartsw. SuperG stopped taking preorders.

MtothaJ
09-24-2014, 04:00 AM

Hard to say whether this will solve your problem but this thread recommends cutting a trace going to port 5: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=48460

Mercuttio
11-17-2014, 10:05 PM
So I've got the manual Bandridge, and I'm having no luck with it. Everything is darker and has a slight blue cast through the unit; my Saturn doesn't even light the little LED. Signal seems strong and never loses sync, but it definitely doesn't look as it should. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Xian Xi
11-18-2014, 02:25 AM
So I've got the manual Bandridge, and I'm having no luck with it. Everything is darker and has a slight blue cast through the unit; my Saturn doesn't even light the little LED. Signal seems strong and never loses sync, but it definitely doesn't look as it should. Anyone else ever have this issue?

Make sure your cables are properly wired.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 07:01 AM
Make sure your cables are properly wired.

Hmm. It'd have to be my male to male connector if anything, right? All systems work fine and connect to my xrgb properly when the switch and cable aren't in the signal chain.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 08:04 AM
I opened up my Male to Male SCART cable, and found this:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/dapietri/IMAG0287_zpsmeuyalgy.jpg

I checked continuity on the cable, and many of the connectors do not match side to side. Is this the way these things are supposed to be?

Xian Xi
11-18-2014, 08:08 AM
I opened up my Male to Male SCART cable, and found this:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i271/dapietri/IMAG0287_zpsmeuyalgy.jpg

I checked continuity on the cable, and many of the connectors do not match side to side. Is this the way these things are supposed to be?

Male to Male cables are not 1:1, the sync and a few others go from output line to input line. The output from the SCART box does use the output pins though so if you are using it for the output then it should be fine as long as the correct side is plugged into the output.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 09:52 AM
Male to Male cables are not 1:1, the sync and a few others go from output line to input line. The output from the SCART box does use the output pins though so if you are using it for the output then it should be fine as long as the correct side is plugged into the output.

Huh! SCART sure is weird. I've been hunting for a diagram of how Male to Male should be wired but I'm having no luck... is there one out there somewhere?

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 09:56 AM
There is this one, but it doesn't seem to be the way mine is wired...

http://www.leadsdirect.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/Scart-Cable-Connection-Diagram.gif

Yodd
11-18-2014, 10:04 AM
All systems work fine and connect to my xrgb properly when the switch and cable aren't in the signal chain.

I think that might be part of the issue.

Which model XRGB do you have?

Can you give us a complete breakdown of the signal chain? I.E. Console->Switch->Male to Male scart cable ->???

Are you using any Euro scart to JP21 adapters? How long is the male to male scart cable...etc.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I think that might be part of the issue.

Which model XRGB do you have?

Can you give us a complete breakdown of the signal chain? I.E. Console->Switch->Male to Male scart cable ->???

Are you using any Euro scart to JP21 adapters? How long is the male to male scart cable...etc.

I've got the XRGB Mini. I believe it is running the latest firmware; I updated it around a month ago.

My chain is:

Japanese Saturn (Victor JVC Unit) / Neo Geo Omega CMVS ----> European SCART ----> Switcher ---> European SCART Male to Male ----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini.

When I run either system as System -----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini, they work perfectly.

The male to male is about 3 feet, I believe? Might be four.

Yodd
11-18-2014, 10:18 AM
I've got the XRGB Mini. I believe it is running the latest firmware; I updated it around a month ago.

My chain is:

Japanese Saturn (Victor JVC Unit) / Neo Geo Omega CMVS ----> European SCART ----> Switcher ---> European SCART Male to Male ----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini.

When I run either system as System -----> RetroGamingCables EuroSCART to JP21 XRGB connector ---> XRGB Mini, they work perfectly.

The male to male is about 3 feet, I believe? Might be four.

I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. Bandridge switch defective. That's always a possibility. I imported like 60+ of those models this year and users have had very, very little issue with them. But there is always the chance of a defective one.

2. Issues with that male to male scart cable going from the switch to the cable on the Mini. Does your EuroScart to XRGB cable have a built in sync stripper?

If not, I would personally eliminate the male to male scart cable and the Euro Scart to XRGB mini cable. Replace it with a Male Euro scart to XRGB mini cable. Instead of using 2 cables, replace them with a single, direct cable. I have heard of noise issues coming out of switches and going into the Mini using 2 cables like you do.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 10:25 AM
I have 2 thoughts on this:

1. Bandridge switch defective. That's always a possibility. I imported like 60+ of those models this year and users have had very, very little issue with them. But there is always the chance of a defective one.

2. Issues with that male to male scart cable going from the switch to the cable on the Mini. Does your EuroScart to XRGB cable have a built in sync stripper?

If not, I would personally eliminate the male to male scart cable and the Euro Scart to XRGB mini cable. Replace it with a Male Euro scart to XRGB mini cable. Instead of using 2 cables, replace them with a single, direct cable. I have heard of noise issues coming out of switches and going into the Mini using 2 cables like you do.

Nope, no sync stripper in my mini cable.

Any good place to get a single cable as you're describing? It sounds like that might be the ticket for me.

Yodd
11-18-2014, 10:40 AM
Nope, no sync stripper in my mini cable.

Any good place to get a single cable as you're describing? It sounds like that might be the ticket for me.

You will probably need to build yourself one as I am not aware of anyone currently offering them.

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 10:43 AM
You will probably need to build yourself one as I am not aware of anyone currently offering them.

Agh, bummer. I don't really trust myself to build cables properly.

kahel
11-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Xian Xi built me a custom cable that plugs directly to the XRGB-Mini DIN port and has a Male scart end that i plugged directly in my SCART switch to avoid the XRGB mini scart cable. You can probably ask him to make you a custom cable with your specs , he is really good .

Mercuttio
11-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Xian Xi built me a custom cable that plugs directly to the XRGB-Mini DIN port and has a Male scart end that i plugged directly in my SCART switch to avoid the XRGB mini scart cable. You can probably ask him to make you a custom cable with your specs , he is really good .

Thanks for the tip; I'll email him!

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions; I really hope I can get this thing working.

TeamShake
11-19-2014, 01:04 AM
Thanks for the tip; I'll email him!

Thank you, everyone, for the suggestions; I really hope I can get this thing working.

RCA on ebay made me one, so she is an option also. Just ask her to put a male scart end on this instead of the female:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micomsoft-XRGB-Mini-Passive-adapter-for-Euro-SCART-to-XRGB-Mini-8-pin-/201199876700

She might charge you a few more bucks if you want it longer.

Xian Xi
11-20-2014, 04:17 PM
For the bandbridge input 5 uses inputs and outputs.

Mercuttio
01-23-2015, 12:54 PM
RCA on ebay made me one, so she is an option also. Just ask her to put a male scart end on this instead of the female:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Micomsoft-XRGB-Mini-Passive-adapter-for-Euro-SCART-to-XRGB-Mini-8-pin-/201199876700

She might charge you a few more bucks if you want it longer.

I wanted to pop back in and say that I did the same, and had RCA make me a 2 foot Male Scart to the XRGB Mini connector. It works perfectly, and I can't tell the difference between my setup with the Bandridge in it vs not in it. Works extremely well.

Larrs888
02-18-2015, 03:56 PM
I just bought a Bandridge 3 Way Scart Box VSB7713 to use with my xrgb mini and as a heads up to everyone here it's garbage! The image is darkend quite a bit and your end up with a chequered pattern on the image which really ruins the quality, also for some reason my ps1 wouldn't even work via the switch but is fine when inserted directly into the scaler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271576859569?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lucky for my I only paid 5.00 so it's no big waste, guess it's the Hama 100 for me then!

nam9
02-23-2015, 04:24 AM
I've had good success with the Bandridge 5-way (plus 5th port fix) but presently happy with the Joytech AV Control Center 2. Powered unit, boosts weak audio signal for my PCE and worked well with partially wired scart inputs. Only issue i have is that scart in audio is only passed to scart out. No sound on the RCA breakout...

Archdesigner03
02-24-2015, 02:10 AM
Just bought Hamas 100s to use with the mini. It work fine with my aes and the genesis but it won't work with the omega. The omega produces only sound but no picture. It's like this with aĺl the the inputs. Does anybody have this issue and how to resolve this issue? Overall, I wouldn't recommend this product as it is also cheaply make. Currently looking into shinybow...but 200 bucks for a scart switch is hard to swallow at the moment

nam9
02-25-2015, 10:48 AM
Best follow the gscartsw thread over at Assemblergames... Hardly cheap, but not Shinybow expensive...

Larrs888
02-27-2015, 12:24 PM
So the 3-way Brandridge went in the trash and I recieved a brand new old stock MadCatz scart selector from Italy today. Whilst I initially felt really lucky to score one of these after reading glowing reviews, I am sadly disappointed. I get slight interference on the image, the picture isn't darkend like it was on the Brandridge but the noise is noticeable especially if you disable the scan lines. Secondly just as with the othe switch I had my PS1 won't even display a picture yet works fine when connect directly to my Xrgb mini. I'm getting to the stage were I'm just going to manually swap cables over :(

Edit:

The omega produces only sound but no picture. It's like this with aĺl the the inputs. Does anybody have this issue and how to resolve this issue

For my Omega I had to use a Sync Stripper since the Omega uses composite video for sync and not raw c sync. Shadow was kind enough to build me an Omega scart cable with an integrated sync cleaner but you can also get a mini din to scart adapter with one included.

Edit 2:
I've tested my Omega with the MadCatz switch and it works perfectly, there is no noticeable loss in picture quality, it's bizzare as my snes has noise and my ps1 won't display an image but works ok when connected directly to the xrgb mini. I guess the switch just doesn't like the cables. My Snes scart lead is a high quality one from retro gaming accessories so that leaves me puzzled :(

kotter
02-28-2015, 01:11 PM
I just got my Hama 100s and plugged it in along with all my systems but got no audio or sync.
Opened it up only to find no connections at all going to the sync and audio lines of the output connector... Maybe it isn't supposed to be used the way I wanted or something went seriously wrong when manufacturing this thing but I added a couple of wires and now it works like a charm.
Other than that I'm happy with the output and build quality.

Archdesigner03
03-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Looks like the US distributor for shinybow is now carrying the 4x2 scart matrix switcher with a cheaper price of $129. I've decided to jump on this and will let you guys know how it performs.

http://www.ani-av.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=205

axlblazeadam
11-24-2015, 08:45 AM
Looks like the US distributor for shinybow is now carrying the 4x2 scart matrix switcher with a cheaper price of $129. I've decided to jump on this and will let you guys know how it performs.

Sorry for the bump, but i'm interested in this one. Can you let me know if you're satisfied with this switch?

MtothaJ
11-25-2015, 01:55 PM
I just bought a Bandridge 3 Way Scart Box VSB7713 to use with my xrgb mini and as a heads up to everyone here it's garbage! The image is darkend quite a bit and your end up with a chequered pattern on the image which really ruins the quality, also for some reason my ps1 wouldn't even work via the switch but is fine when inserted directly into the scaler.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271576859569?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Lucky for my I only paid 」5.00 so it's no big waste, guess it's the Hama 100 for me then!

Had exactly the same problem with the auto version of the Bandridge 3 slot switch: http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?258397-Any-Solid-SCART-Switches-Out-There&p=3917498&viewfull=1#post3917498

I also have the manual Bandridge 5 slot and that works fine and is more convenient than daisy chaining 3 slotters together - would be keen to get another one however they do not seem to be available anylonger.

MtothaJ
11-25-2015, 02:00 PM

Dunno if I am missing something but $130 for a scart switch offering just one slot more than a AV100S for $10-15 does not seem like good value.

axlblazeadam
11-25-2015, 02:10 PM
Dunno if I am missing something but $130 for a scart switch offering just one slot more than a AV100S for $10-15 does not seem like good value.
My Hama 100s is generating noise. I tried several 100's and they all have this problem.

MtothaJ
11-25-2015, 02:48 PM
My Hama 100s is generating noise. I tried several 100's and they all have this problem.

Can you elaborate on the noise issue? Do you mean audio buzz or some interference in the video?

axlblazeadam
11-26-2015, 05:43 AM
Can you elaborate on the noise issue? Do you mean audio buzz or some interference in the video?
It's noise, you can see it very clearly where there are large shapes of color. It gets this pattern over it. A bit hard to describe, if i have time i can make some screenshots of it.
When i swap out the Hama 100s and connect it direct to my Framemeister, it's gone.

Also ruled out the SCART cables i'm using from the Hama 100S to the Framemeister, because even when i put that SCART cable between the cable out of the console and into the Framemeister with 2 female-female extenders it's still noise free.

Xian Xi
11-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Most times, the noise will come from improper grounds in the switch/converter. When using custom made cables a lot of times not all the grounds are connected and some switches are the same. I'd open it up and confirm all the grounds are the same.

axlblazeadam
11-26-2015, 11:38 PM
Most times, the noise will come from improper grounds in the switch/converter. When using custom made cables a lot of times not all the grounds are connected and some switches are the same. I'd open it up and confirm all the grounds are the same.
Thanks, gonna check that out!

axlblazeadam
12-07-2015, 11:54 PM
Sorry for the bump, but i stumbled upon another really weird issue.

This only happens with my Gamecube and Sega Saturn cables (bought from retrogamingcables). I actually tried several Saturn cables.

If i connect these to my Hama 100S, which is hooked up to the XRGB Mini, the picture looks great, no visible noise whatsoever. When i start to daisy chain my two Hama 100S units, the signal gets noise that looks like a sort of moving moire effect.

Now here comes the strange part!

You might think the scart cables that connect the Hama units are faulty. I tried swapping these cables with high quality ones, but no luck. Also checked if one of the Hama units was causing the noise, but it was perfectly fine. So i connected all my other consoles (NES, SNES, SMS, Megadrive, PS1, Dreamcast) and none of these have problems with the noise, even when i daisy chain. The picture is clear and noise-free!

There must be something weird happening with the combination of the Gamecube/Saturn cable and daisy chaining the scart switchers.

Any idea what his could be? There's nothing wrong with the cables or the Hama switchers, i totally ruled that out now.

MtothaJ
12-08-2015, 04:32 AM
Sorry for the bump, but i stumbled upon another really weird issue.

This only happens with my Gamecube and Sega Saturn cables (bought from retrogamingcables). I actually tried several Saturn cables.

If i connect these to my Hama 100S, which is hooked up to the XRGB Mini, the picture looks great, no visible noise whatsoever. When i start to daisy chain my two Hama 100S units, the signal gets noise that looks like a sort of moving moire effect.

Now here comes the strange part!

You might think the scart cables that connect the Hama units are faulty. I tried swapping these cables with high quality ones, but no luck. Also checked if one of the Hama units was causing the noise, but it was perfectly fine. So i connected all my other consoles (NES, SNES, SMS, Megadrive, PS1, Dreamcast) and none of these have problems with the noise, even when i daisy chain. The picture is clear and noise-free!

There must be something weird happening with the combination of the Gamecube/Saturn cable and daisy chaining the scart switchers.

Any idea what his could be? There's nothing wrong with the cables or the Hama switchers, i totally ruled that out now.

The moving pattern interference sounds like a ground loop.

Shakepants
12-08-2015, 12:18 PM
Ideally one that amplifies the video signal. Joytech does this I believe.

axlblazeadam
12-08-2015, 10:13 PM
But why does it only occur with the Gamecube & Saturn signal? All other consoles are fine with this setup

Xian Xi
12-08-2015, 11:40 PM
It's either the ground or the 5v supply in the cable. If you don't need the 5v line, try disconnecting it.

axlblazeadam
12-09-2015, 02:54 PM
It's either the ground or the 5v supply in the cable. If you don't need the 5v line, try disconnecting it.
Thanks! I'm not good a reading diagrams. Is this pin 8 and 16 on the SCART end?

Xian Xi
12-09-2015, 04:56 PM
I meant inside the scart switch. If it's a euro pinout then it will be on pin 8, JP21 I think is 11.

axlblazeadam
12-10-2015, 05:53 PM
I meant inside the scart switch. If it's a euro pinout then it will be on pin 8, JP21 I think is 11.
Thanks, but the scart switch is fine if i use it with the Saturn/GC cable plugged in to the Framemeister. It only happens when i daisy chain two Hama switchers?