Possible lead on an undiscovered Neo proto: Ninja Ryukenden/Gaiden 2

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Saw this and thought you folks would be interested.

http://www.gamengai.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3108

Shou said:
So I had drinks with someone who worked at Tecmo back in the day, after much alcohol, it was revealed that they threw out a bunch of classic stuff during a power outage one day including an Argos no Senshi belt used for promos!

However, I did get that the Neo Geo game is backed up but only accessible by PC98s. Since I have a PC98, I've asked to see if I can recover the code....

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
Billy won't be interested, it sounds like they never actually manufactured any carts. :P

Boredom

Morden's Lackey
I know him well enough from lurking. If there's no proto cart to hoard or beg people for, then his interest level will be middling at best. It sounds like this only exists as data sitting on an old storage tape or something, maybe even uncompiled source code.

Let's hope it's not still in Tecmo's possession. These old Japanese companies will fight tooth and nail to keep stuff like this from getting out of their hands, even if they have no intention of ever using it. Sega just recently C&Ded the Try Amusement Tower arcade for installing a modified PCB with the Fantasy Zone II proto ROM on it.

Last edited:

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Billy won't be interested, it sounds like they never actually manufactured any carts. :P

Though I'm sure some other Big Tymer would be willing to spend $$$$$ to get that code so that they can put it in a brown box on their wall for the most amazing conversations ;)

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
When im drunk the last thing i would talk about is neo geo protos. Takes all types i guess.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
And when i get drunk i only do it with Fosters of course.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I really fucking hate when Shigeru Miyamoto gets drunk and calls me, talking about prototype ROMs for Mario 128 and whatnot all night.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
From the sounds of it this game is probably better off not being found.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
People paid 1500 for a barely playable and joyless horse racing sim.

What do you think theyll pay for this?

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
As someone who liked the arcade version of Ninja Gaiden enough to pick up the PCB at one point, a playable MVS sequel would be a really big deal. It does depend on how far along it was, though.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well for what it's worth, the quote is from Shou, one of the biggest PCB collectors that I know of.

indierocklocks

Geese's Thug
So are we now moving from straight boots to undiscovered "prototype repros". Oh and the bad game programed in some Chinese basement can suck as bad as needed because "that's why the project was scrapped". I'm calling it now.

Fox1

Bub & Bob's Bubble Buddy,
20 Year Member
And it will miraculously turn up in a Japanese video game store with a crappy cover reading "NOT FOR SALE! NO PICTURES!!"

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Jesus Fucking Christ.

1326219396_monkey_business_zps94a9d9c4.gif

Magic finger smell.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also wasn't it found that the "Ninja Gaiden" game was actually Ganryu? Something about the characters having similar names.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I'm guessing the homecart versions are sitting in storage locker, but his car is in the shop so he can't quite make it down there.