Buzzing sound from MVS 4-slot rev 3 speakers.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
Depending on the game that's currently being played, the speakers in my 4-slot have a different pitched buzzing sound. It's not particularly loud and is easily ignored once you're playing, but it's still somewhat annoying.

I assume that this is likely caused by interference with the monitor in some way or another since the pitch differs depending on what game is being displayed (with the Metal Slug 3 attract title screen, there's none oddly enough), but I'm an MVS/arcade n00b so I could use some advice/direction on how to tackle this.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Well, I will say this, in my car audio adventures if you would get a pitched whine it was due to a ground loop. Maybe the cab doesn't have a really good ground through the audio circuit? Just a thought.

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Few suggestions..
Make sure the Games contacts are super clean..
http://www.hardmvs.com/html/projects.htm

Clean the Mother boards slots..

slide the volume slider back and forth a few times,,sometimes it gets dirty inside..

Clear the Back Up Ram,..

If the machine is not original via it has general type power supply or other hacked in wiring,check for proper connections and ground wires...

Check the wires molex plugs that run up inside the cabinet to the speakers and lights..

This also can be caused by the marquee panels or driver ..disconnect the MV-ELA LCD Circuit Board driver from your mother board(wire) to see if it goes away..

http://www.hardmvs.com/html/marquee.htm

Fygee

20 Year Member
Thanks guys, I'll check these suggestions out!

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the volume slider located? I opened up the marquee, back of the machine, and underneath the joystick panel previously and I didn't see it anywhere.

Last edited:

chris1

POCKETBIKE NUT,
Thanks guys, I'll check these suggestions out!

Pardon my ignorance, but where is the volume slider located? I opened up the marquee, back of the machine, and underneath the joystick panel previously and I didn't see it anywhere.

It's either on the side or front of the motherboard..

ASM

n00b
Just wanted to bump this because I had the same issue.

I first thought it was a ground issue, but then realized the pitch was changing depending on the game being played. This made me realize it's the EL panels, not the speakers. Disconnecting the circuit will eliminate the noise, and replacing the EL panels will also reduce the whine.

Fygee

20 Year Member
Sorry to bump this ancient thread, but I gave it a try and it worked. Specifically, I had to disconnect the connection to the board that then connects to the EL panels.