SNK Licensing

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I was wondering Nintendo had a exclusivity contract with all of their game developers where they were not allowed to develop for other systems.

That being said how was SNK able to release Baseball Stars and Dodgeball on the Neo Geo if there was an exclusivity right to the NES for those titles?

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Those games started out as arcade games which is different than them being developed purely for another system.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Dodgeball was a Technos game... Not SNK.

Maybe exclusivity contracts with Nintendo is partially why a Crystalis sequel for Neo Geo never came out eventually.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I was wondering Nintendo had a exclusivity contract with all of their game developers where they were not allowed to develop for other systems.That being said how was SNK able to release Baseball Stars and Dodgeball on the Neo Geo if there was an exclusivity right to the NES for those titles?

The way the exclusive rights worked for Nintendo of America was, you could not release a game on a competing system for I think a period of 3-5 years (I gave myself a buffer there). In Japan it was very common that a developer would release a game across multiple platforms. SNK stopped making games for the Famicom/NES before the Neo Geo system came out, plus SNK OWNED the properties itself so I'm sure there was no argument there. Neo CD had SS RPG and CS II, so a possible Crystalis sequel could have happened. But the system didn't break the market enough to warrant that type of R and D into a game that late for the system.

Last edited:

wildo2ne

Tarma's Gun Polisher
thats a shame, I would have loved to played a Crystalis sequel on the Neo Geo

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Crystalis has always been one of my favourite NES games. Fantastic music. I would LOVE to have seen it on any NG platform. Honestly, I think it would have made an amazing NGCD exclusive.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The way the exclusive rights worked for Nintendo of America was, you could not release a game on a competing system for I think a period of 3-5 years (I gave myself a buffer there). In Japan it was very common that a developer would release a game across multiple platforms. SNK stopped making games for the Famicom/NES before the Neo Geo system came out, plus SNK OWNED the properties itself so I'm sure there was no argument there. Neo CD had SS RPG and CS II, so a possible Crystalis sequel could have happened. But the system didn't break the market enough to warrant that type of R and D into a game that late for the system.

A lot of arcade conversions are released as the famicom version and pc-engine version almost simultaneously. For example Dragon Spirit was released on both systems about 4 months apart, where Nintendo gets a considerably less faithful conversion.