When making your pretty supergun...

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
What do you guys use to cut out holes, fittings, db-15 slots etc.?

Do you use a drill and or a dremel? Trying to make this one look good.. Not that in the past they've looked bad, but they haven't been "perfect" enough for me.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
First it depends on the case you're using. Is it plastic? Metal?

For plastic at least, a drill is fine for starting holes and finishing holes, but you'll want a dremel with a few styles of bits to cut odd shapes, like DB15 ports.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
plunge router... And a laminate router for the fine work.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
Making non-circular holes is the part about doing this kind of work I dislike the most.

I will use a ruler and with pencil I can easily clean off, draw the outline of what the final shape is. Then I'll drill holes to take out the bulk of it, possibly cut a little away with dykes, and use metal files to slowly get it to the final shape. I have never had luck using a dremel for cutting plastic or metal; I always ended up disappointed with how it looked when I was done.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Making non-circular holes is the part about doing this kind of work I dislike the most.

I will use a ruler and with pencil I can easily clean off, draw the outline of what the final shape is. Then I'll drill holes to take out the bulk of it, possibly cut a little away with dykes, and use metal files to slowly get it to the final shape. I have never had luck using a dremel for cutting plastic or metal; I always ended up disappointed with how it looked when I was done.

This is pretty much the correct answer.

A good file set is a must for doing odd shapes like DB15 and the like.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Didn't think about a file, harbor freight sells a "usable set for cheap.. I'm gunna try that! I'm good with metal, but I can't weld plastic and re finish it lol, but I don't want a metal enclosure. I'll give it a shot and post pics!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Didn't think about a file, harbor freight sells a "usable set for cheap.. I'm gunna try that! I'm good with metal, but I can't weld plastic and re finish it lol, but I don't want a metal enclosure. I'll give it a shot and post pics!

Use a "diamond" file set. They work good on plastics and metals.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
Mine are just regular files and they work pretty good. Most important thing is to be patient.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Mine are just regular files and they work pretty good. Most important thing is to be patient.

Yeah with a 20% off coupon at harbor freight, I got a file set with all different shapes for a little over 3 bucks.. As for xian, when I get paid, I might splurge on a sync cleaner, maybe some other goodies.
My enclosure is going to house a full size adjustable power supply, prolly throw a small quet fan in the back as well. This apartment life 18000 miles away from home sucks... Everything is there, and jobs out here are part time minimum wage @ 7.80/hr... But I'm determined. Hopefully being on the west coast within the next year I can afford a trip to so cal and a candy neo. That's my absolute goal.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
Picked up some diamond files, they were 5 something for the set, so I said screw it. Only problem is that I don't like my enclosure.. :-/ guess I'll have to dig around, but only interweb I got right now is cell phone.. I want something about 3.5 inches tall, 6 inch by 12 inch - ish. Basically something wide, but looks professional. Because again, I'm putting in an entire adjustable switching power supply, with a small quiet fan.

JammaGuy

Previously I-d-o-s-k-8
As do most people, but I want something a little bigger, small supergun a look good and everything, for a while I said the smaller the better, but idk, I think bigger like a DVD player size would stand better.. It's that or I'm going to make one the smallest I possibly can. Where's a good external power supply? For a full supergun... Not just neo.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
It depends on the games that you want to play. You could use something like the SC200 or get a used arcade power supply and make your own power brick similar to the one that came with the xbox360.

Finding a good looking VCR or maybe even a nice amp that isn't all scratched up can be hard.

How much would you want to spend on a case anyway? If you can spend up to $100, then maybe have a look at one of these:
http://www.streacom.com/products/f1c-chassis/

I've got a black one that I bought for 70€ and I can tell you that the build quality is really good. It should also be big enough for an internal power supply.