About Rage of the dragons

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
I always liked this game, but I never spent much time on it because I had never had the chance to play it at the arcade (what arcade? in 2002 they were already dead here...) or on a home system... and I hate playing neo games on EMU.
Finally I got it on MVS, after about a 11 years wait :mr_t:
I just started to explorer the game system, looks really nice to me and combos are quite easy to perform, I love the graphics and the characters are cool, musics are tasty to me but the SOUND FXs REALLY SUCK ASS, they're noisy and distorted, very annoying... this is a pity! I tend to lower the volume on this cart, while I usually like to pump it up to get more "atmosphere".
What are your thoughts on this game?
I think it should get much more love, sond FXs aside :cool:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The game really sucks. I owned it for years and the only regret I have is that I didn't wait to sell it for the stupid price it goes for right now.

Negatives:
Small cast of characters
Very limited move sets
only real combo system is a dial-a-combo system, a la SSIV/KI/Mace/<insert shitty fighter no one cares about>
game plays like it should have been an unreleased proto, but rushed out to grab cash.

Positives:
Really nice sprites for some characters
backgrounds with the barriers
hard boss fight

Lord_Tibor

FLIPTASTIC PRICEJACKER!
I haven't tried them all yet, right now I was figuring out how to play as billy and lynn! are there multiple commands for the same supers or maybe my fingers are going crazy? lol
I'm going to check jimmy soon, pepe looks like a really cool character! what i love about this game the most is that it's making me feel the same way I felt when i first got garou and kof 98 back in the days.
The neo was and still IS pure magic! ^^ I think I'm lucky to still have games to discover after all this time ^^ I wish there were a little more, at least. but surely we have many masterpieces on the system!
Great game, who's your fave fighter thus far? Pepe?

View attachment 5465

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I love it. As soon as I get a jerb I'll save up and plonk down the $1000 it goes for on AES.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Had it, wasn't impressed, sold it, don't miss it.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
what i love about this game the most is that it's making me feel the same way I felt when i first got garou and kof 98 back in the days.

You're going to be so very very disappointed. Garou or 98 this is most certainly not.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
It's a guilty pleasure of mine. I'm a big fan of Jones and Kang.

Tacitus

Staff member
lol - Speaking the truth brother. That "WTF, people are really paying that?" feeling.

NG.Com collector's rule:

If it has SNK printed on it, has less than 10k pieces produced and someone has owned it for longer than 5 minutes, immediately add 25% to the original purchase price upon resale.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I really like the game, I need to get back into it, I don't remember how to do shit in it. The price it goes for is madness though, it's certainly not top tier, and I'm glad I paid $50 for the MVS kit back in the day.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
NG.Com collector's rule:

If it has SNK printed on it, has less than 10k pieces produced and someone has owned it for longer than 5 minutes, immediately add 25% to the original purchase price upon resale.

If I had 3 6 slots in an arcade, I still wouldn't bother to load RotD. (I would load MVS copies of what I have homecarts for, for sure... No fucking doubt. But would include Dodgeball, Shocktroopers, Metal Slug 1, SSVS and TSS)

Rule: if you're not interested in playing the game on MVS, don't harp on how great it is on the home system as a game.

For me, RotD and Sengoku 2001 are too mediocre to own. Zero interest.

Of course, that's purely subjective.

I love Sengoku 2, and freely admit it's a mediocre game.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
If I had 3 6 slots in an arcade, I still wouldn't bother to load RotD. (I would load MVS copies of what I have homecarts for, for sure... No fucking doubt. But would include Dodgeball, Shocktroopers, Metal Slug 1, SSVS and TSS)

Rule: if you're not interested in playing the game on MVS, don't harp on how great it is on the home system as a game.

For me, RotD and Sengoku 2001 are too mediocre to own. Zero interest.

Of course, that's purely subjective.

I love Sengoku 2, and freely admit it's a mediocre game.

I've always liked the RoTD style of game as it reminded me of the art style of Guilty Gear. The gameplay may leave some things to be desired as the dial-a-combo dumbs down the game and the final boss is brutal, but I still really enjoy it.

And speaking of Sengoku 2001, I still want to own that game even though the gameplay looks hella shallow for a beat-em up. It makes sense for me to own all of the Sengokus at the very least to show my appreciation for the early editions, where you could turn into wolves and shit :)

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I've always liked the RoTD style of game as it reminded me of the art style of Guilty Gear. The gameplay may leave some things to be desired as the dial-a-combo dumbs down the game and the final boss is brutal, but I still really enjoy it.

And speaking of Sengoku 2001, I still want to own that game even though the gameplay looks hella shallow for a beat-em up. It makes sense for me to own all of the Sengokus at the very least to show my appreciation for the early editions, where you could turn into wolves and shit :)

I would say get the roms. If you play through the roms and feel you absolutely must own the game, then buy it. Chances are, someone out there was just like you and has been waiting to unload the game for a profit.

Tacitus

Staff member
If noise factory could predict the future, they probably wouldn't have made Sen2001, RotD and Matrimelee as their crown jewels.

Matrimelee is a decent game. In terms of fighting games on the neo, it's pretty good.

Sengoku is garbage, never liked the series. s2001 is just a generic beat 'em up they decided to throw a known name on to sell more copies and appeal to nostalgia.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
I remember how I went to Hong Kong and bought the game from Maurice when it was published.

and played it in my hotel room.

Yamazaki

Belnar Institute Student
15 Year Member
yeah...didnt he get bought by Play-Asia in the end?

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I put '98 in a few weeks ago and felt like I was so over it. I find '99 to 2002 so much more interesting.

I am over 98 too, but technically it's a more sound game than RotD. Any KoF is. Besides that, it's just a dream match. KoF 95 is the real pinnacle of KoF gaming.