Bang & Olufsen CRT TVs.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I'm looking into getting a B&O CRT TV to use with my consoles.

Any of you guys have them, and are they any good?

You're help is greatly appreciated. :)

BTW if this is in the wrong place, mods please move. Thanks.

neo-geo-mvs

Sieger's Squire
10 Year Member
I'm looking into getting a B&O CRT TV to use with my consoles.

Any of you guys have them, and are they any good?

You're help is greatly appreciated. :)

BTW if this is in the wrong place, mods please move. Thanks.

rcantor77 got one.

I think Sony Trinitron CRT are suppose to be better, but the B&O look cooler. I like them anyway

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
B&o is always near the top of the line. If you can find a CRT, cool. I didn't know they did CRT back in the day.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah, they made some amazing looking CRT tvs. They pop up regularly on fleabay. I'm just looking for one that's quite close to home. :eye:

Does anyone know how they compare to Sony Trinitrons?

Last edited:

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Ouch! That's ridiculous. I've seen them way cheaper over here in the uk. Just missed out on one on ebay :(. It went for under £60 as well.

K1ngArth3r

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I have the MX4000, the sound quality is fantastic and the picture quality definitely lives up to expectation.

I would recommend one over a Sony for sure!

Make sure you get a Beo4 remote with it though!

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Yeah, sure will. I am lucky/unlucky enough to live in an area where a lot of people have money so I'm hoping I can scoop one close enough to me for next to nothing!

Don't think they will be too happy when they see the working class man and his van pull up on their drive though. Some of the snooty gits would probably call the police! :lolz:

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Only just spotted this thread.. yep, I have an MX-4200 and they are fantastic sets.

I bought mine for £45 but sadlly it did not have the LCD remote that you need if you want to easily get into the Installer menu.

Not only does the TV look great, it is tiny and weighs next to nothing compared to a Trinitron. But it also has perfectly flat sides so you can rotate it really easily.

And if you can get into the Installer menu you can change de-interlacing settings too, so nice looking retro scanlines on a 360. :D

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Mmmmmmm, nice.

Will definantely be getting one. Just gotta keep my eyes peeled.

amurphy245

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I bought a mx6000 a while ago but it was faulty and in attempting to repair it i made things worse so will be scrapping it,i am however constantly on the lookout for another because its the most beautiful tv ive ever had,the picture quality is amazing and the style of the unit is unlike anything else.

Just be warned if you get a 28" unit it weighs a fucking ton,if your strong you will just about be able to lift it by yourself but its definitely a backbreaker.

Oh and also the de-interlace feature is not that great as it generates a lot of flicker.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'd be willing to bet you'll find a decently sized Sony PVM for much cheaper.

amurphy245

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I'd be willing to bet you'll find a decently sized Sony PVM for much cheaper.

If your going purely for image quality its something to look into but for me the pvm is just a box ,the b&o has a beautiful design and for someone like me who prefers crt over modern displays its perfect,but if its just for retro gaming then yes maybe a pvm is a better option but then again in europe all our tvs accept RGB scart anyway and even a cheap crt can look really good.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If your going purely for image quality its something to look into but for me the pvm is just a box ,the b&o has a beautiful design and for someone like me who prefers crt over modern displays its perfect,but if its just for retro gaming then yes maybe a pvm is a better option but then again in europe all our tvs accept RGB scart anyway and even a cheap crt can look really good.

Ahh I see. Well for everyday viewing sure. I once had a Loewe CRT and the Neo looked fantastic on RGB.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
The most beautiful CRT TV ever made

mx4000d.jpg

kuze

Akari's Big Brother
10 Year Member
Wow those are some nice looking CRTs. Wasn't even aware of this brand until I saw this thread.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Just tried this little beauty with tatsujin on my megadrive and I looked and sounded so sweet!

The geezer I got it off had another aswell, I may just get another one and stick it in storage :drool_2:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
These have to be rare. I cant imagine many people would be willing to part with them.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
I never had an experience with B&O TV's.
However, my old man still has his Hi-Fi B&O system from 86'ish ( methinks ) and I have yet
to witness anything with a better clean sound quality.

This is the kind of brand that never let's you down.

Halfabag

B. Jenet's Firstmate
These have to be rare. I cant imagine many people would be willing to part with them.

They are quite rare, especially compared to other brands but they come up fairly often on ebay uk.

Like I said before, the area in which I live has a few fairly well off people and some of them are quite old. When they decide to re-decorate their homes, they want one of those "fancy thin televisions" so they can't wait to get rid of their old B&O tank! They are clueless when it comes to what these are worth to some people.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
I never had an experience with B&O TV's.
However, my old man still has his Hi-Fi B&O system from 86'ish ( methinks ) and I have yet
to witness anything with a better clean sound quality.

This is the kind of brand that never let's you down.

Not really. Unless you really prefer shiny brushed aluminum over performance. 25 years ago their price performance ratio was more in check; however, things have changed greatly.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
be careful if you get one in the states....

From the picture above, I have the white one on the right. It doesn't work (even with stepdown). Just a gigantic, sexy, garage paperweight right now.....

GameLifter

New Challenger
Seeing threads about nice CRT TV's makes me want a new one even more! I'm still stuck with a 20 inch CRT that doesn't even have stereo.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Not really. Unless you really prefer shiny brushed aluminum over performance. 25 years ago their price performance ratio was more in check; however, things have changed greatly.

I remember my friends being jealous back then when they saw the setup.
Most of them had great brands like Technics, Pioneer or Sony. None sounded like B&O.
The sound of that system is really crisp and the only downside I can think off, is that I'm not rich
enough to get one.