I just completed KOF 98 without cheating

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
Hello:

In the past I have beat KOF 98 a few times by choosing carefully the power up where the enemy (in this case, Rugal) has only one third of the health. For the past year or so I have been declining the power ups and playing the normal game. I have slowly been getting better. Now I can, depending on the team, reach level 6 in an hour or less. When I get to Rugal he always annihilates me.

Lately I have been trying to follow the advise on this page to defeat Rugal.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/562642-the-king-of-fighters-98-the-slugfest/faqs/218

Today, without really knowing what I was doing or if I was doing it right, time ran out when my last fighter had a little bit more health than Rugal. I was surprised when I then saw the credits. Technically I won, although it still feels like cheating.

In my experience from playing video games in general for 35 years, you first reach a milestone by mistake or by chance. As you keep practicing, you then learn to reach it consciously and more often. So today the foundation has been laid in order for me to win the game.

By the way, I was using Iori, Mature, and Vice, and a consolized Neo Geo.

Peace.

Ghaleon

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Peace.

Ghaleon

Ghaleon.jpg

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Hello:

In the past I have beat KOF 98 a few times by choosing carefully the power up where the enemy (in this case, Rugal) has only one third of the health. For the past year or so I have been declining the power ups and playing the normal game. I have slowly been getting better. Now I can, depending on the team, reach level 6 in an hour or less. When I get to Rugal he always annihilates me.

Lately I have been trying to follow the advise on this page to defeat Rugal.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/arcade/562642-the-king-of-fighters-98-the-slugfest/faqs/218

Today, without really knowing what I was doing or if I was doing it right, time ran out when my last fighter had a little bit more health than Rugal. I was surprised when I then saw the credits. Technically I won, although it still feels like cheating.

In my experience from playing video games in general for 35 years, you first reach a milestone by mistake or by chance. As you keep practicing, you then learn to reach it consciously and more often. So today the foundation has been laid in order for me to win the game.

By the way, I was using Iori, Mature, and Vice, and a consolized Neo Geo.

Peace.

Ghaleon

I have to give you total respect for the avatar you carry.

But if all of the above is really serious, you Sir, suck.
Big time.

:)

Nobody plays 98 at level 6!

LV8 is mandatory because it's already too easy.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
Thank you for praising my avatar. And yes, I do suck. I play all my Neo Geo games on level 4, the default, ha ha.

I'm going to play King of Fighters 98 again to see if I win.

I have to give you total respect for the avatar you carry.

But if all of the above is really serious, you Sir, suck.
Big time.

:)

Nobody plays 98 at level 6!

LV8 is mandatory because it's already too easy.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I'm with you. KOF 98 is no cakewalk for me either, even on the default MVS settings. I'm no pro, though.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
I defeated King of Fighters 98 again. You don't need to defeat him with your third warrior. As long as time runs out and the character you are currently using has more health than Rugal, you win the fight. And the game. I defeated him the same way I defeat characters like Goro. I stayed as far away from him as I could. Once he approached me and he was within reach, I pressed back and did a strong kick. I did that over and over until time ran out.

By the way, I used Leona, Ralph, and Clark this time.

This game is becoming easy.

Last edited:

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
For the first time in my life I completed a King of Fighters game (which happened to be King of Fighters 98) without using any continues. Of course, it helped that I was using Iori, Mature, and Vice. I am good with that team. It also helped that I am still using the method to defeat Rugal described here:

Yes, I am still playing with my Neo Geo on level 4. I play for fun. Once it stops being fun on level 4 I will increase the level.

Peace,

Ghaleon

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Damn it! now I have to pull the sega cd out and run through lunar again! Thanks buddy :D

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
The latter half of the game once you leave for meribia has been completely re-written. I do have the PSX version, but prefer the Sega CD. Plus im a Sega fan boy so any reason to put up the SEGA CD 32X is good enough for me! Might play some snatcher while its out too! Side note, anyone have a extra light gun they wanna sell me!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Nice! The first KOF I managed to 1cc though is R-2 though. XD

Archdesigner03

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I 1cc all the street fighter games before but have yet to 1cc ANY neo geo fighting games...cheap cpu and bosses.:hammer:

congrats on your gaming achievement

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
For the first time in my life I completed a King of Fighters game (which happened to be King of Fighters 98) without using any continues. Of course, it helped that I was using Iori, Mature, and Vice. I am good with that team. It also helped that I am still using the method to defeat Rugal described here:

GHALEON! It's been a long time since we saw that Crazy Taxi shirt of yours. You headin' out to CAX this year?

Yes, I am still playing with my Neo Geo on level 4. I play for fun. Once it stops being fun on level 4 I will increase the level.

Peace,

Ghaleon

GHALEON!! ~ congrats. It's been a while since we've seen that Crazy Taxi shirt of yours. You headin' out to CAX this year? There should be a bunch of us there.

Esper Wizard

New Challenger
Of course I'm going to California Extreme this year! I went for the first time last year and I loved it so much that I'm going every year from now on. I will be wearing a King of Fighters 97 shirt. Hopefully I will see other Neo Geo forum members there.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
The latter half of the game once you leave for meribia has been completely re-written. I do have the PSX version, but prefer the Sega CD. Plus im a Sega fan boy so any reason to put up the SEGA CD 32X is good enough for me! Might play some snatcher while its out too! Side note, anyone have a extra light gun they wanna sell me!

Lol those guns have gotten insane in prices now.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Grats on this, man! The first (and so far ONLY) KoF/ Neo game I can 1cc is KoF '97. Keep plowing at it, like complete it once a day. It'll get addicting. Then.. slowly you'll bump the difficulty up a notch... and keep bumping till you can do it at lvl 8! Not a lot more satisfying than that. Also not a lot more frustrating when you get intoboss territory (The 97 team of Orochi Chris/Shermie/Yashiro is living hell on lvl 8).

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Annnnd i'm still struggling with Aof2...man I'm crap at fighting games compared to you guys...

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Annnnd i'm still struggling with Aof2...man I'm crap at fighting games compared to you guys...

Dude, AoF 2 is INSANE hard, unless you can memorize patterns like an asian. I would NEVER get past the second fight without my memory card. Also, I've been stuck at Geese Howard (thank you save games) for around 7 years. Never beaten the game to this day. Dunno if I'll ever be able to!

AoF 1 and 3 on the other hand, I can beat pretty readily. On a REALLY good day in AoF 1, I can get to Mr. Karate on 1c. Can't close a 1cc yet, though.