Neo Geo Crackling Audio

jaydie1

n00b
I get a crackling audio sound when explosions happen in the metal slug games. I got a z80 error recently but when i turned the neo off and turned it back on it worked fine but i still have the audio issue. Today i felt some of the sound chips while it was on and the yamaha sound chip was running a little hot. There is no trace damage to the board, cart is clean as is the cart slot. Is the yamaha sound chip going bad ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it gets hot quickly after turing on the board then it is going bad and needs to be replaced.

jaydie1

n00b
Found one on ebay for cheap, while im at it should i replace the z80 with a z80a ?

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
Either or will do. Also, crackling distorted audio could be related to the amp HA13001.

jaydie1

n00b
The audio only crackles durring certain explosions that have a alot of low frequencies.

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Either or will do. Also, crackling distorted audio could be related to the amp HA13001.

In all my years of working on game boards I've found ONE bad HA13001. That chip is on CPS1, MVS, and many other boards. It's a VERY robust chip and VERY difficult to damage.

I would start by cleaning the cart and the slot. If the sound program ROM on the cartridge is unreadable because of poor connections you will get a Z80 Error message. If the Sound FX ROMs are not readable because of poor connections, you will get really odd sounds.

jaydie1

n00b
I have cleaned the cart many and the cart slot many times and the problem is still there. This has happened twice so far but i have left the game running once with metal slug and metal slug 4 and another time with metal slug and metal slug 5 and the sound would go out completely. If i reboot the neo the problem would go away also the ym2610 chip gets very hot. Xian Xi suggested that i replace the ym2610 chip. I have ordered the part and will post my results once i replace the chip.

monads

Mr. Big's Thug
10 Year Member
In all my years of working on game boards I've found ONE bad HA13001. That chip is on CPS1, MVS, and many other boards. It's a VERY robust chip and VERY difficult to damage.

After I recaped the board I didn't expect to discover the problem. But sure enough, after a 5-min warm-up of gameplay, crackling/distorted audio appeared.....most notably on the Slug carts. My research pointed to the sound chip or amp going bad. I went for the amp first. Board has been working perfect since then :)