What exactly did I buy? (MVS Stuff)

Yeagert

Banned
I know that a lot of you here have a lot of expertise in this kind of stuff. I recently bought a 2 slot MVS cabinet, but it looks different from the neo geo cabinets I am used to. The control area isn't the red and white graphic, and the sides are black instead of red. Additionally, the coin door is off to one side instead on in the middle.
Is this a custom cabinet that somebody made to house the MVS board and electronics?

Also, it came with a 2nd 2 slot MVS board that was attached to a controller panel. The strange thing is that it appears to be a left handed control panel. Does anyone know if this was OEM, or if it appears to be a custom job? Any ideas what kind of cabinet this came from?

Thanks for any insight you can give me. I appreciate it!

-Jeff

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
Pretty sure that's a conversion cab, looks almost like one of the Capcom ones that were everywhere back in the day.

Yeagert

Banned
Pretty sure that's a conversion cab, looks almost like one of the Capcom ones that were everywhere back in the day.

Yeah, I just did an image search. That strange grey/"white noise" pattern under the controls seems to be on a lot of the street fighter cabinets...Thanks for the lead.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I would agree that it looks like a conversion cab. That "left-handed" control panel definitely looks homemade, too. Any time you see the four Neo Geo buttons in any arrangement other than a straight line, there's a good bet that it's a modified (or completely homemade) control panel.

NEgO MANIAC

Sieger's Squire
15 Year Member
The control panel attached to a board is from a Dynamo cabinet. If you look at the underside of the panel, it probably has a lot of holes punched in it for different configurations. The dynamo cab is a generic cabinet to put just about any game in.

Yeagert

Banned
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help. Now I'll feel better about pulling it apart and reusing parts knowing that I'm not ruining something OEM.

El Maricon Loco

Galford's Poppy Trainer,
What did you get it for? A backup 2-slot + control panel is a serious bonus, I'd be finding a cheap Dynamo donor cab - have 2 Neos running. You might want to look underneath the cp and see how hacked up it is, you might be able to swap the sticks/buttons back to normal

Yeagert

Banned
What did you get it for? A backup 2-slot + control panel is a serious bonus, I'd be finding a cheap Dynamo donor cab - have 2 Neos running. You might want to look underneath the cp and see how hacked up it is, you might be able to swap the sticks/buttons back to normal

I paid $250 for the full working cabinet, the bonus 2 slot with control panel and 8 games. Pretty good score I think.
I looked underneath and the extra control panel is in great condition. All of the other holes are there and I should be able to just take the buttons out and reorganize them. Thanks for the tip!