MVS = AES 2.0?

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Geddon_jt's reply in another thread inspired me to start this thread. There has been a permanent market shift in Neo collecting and I wanted to get your opinions on this.

The AES market is saturated with fakes, bootlegs and conversions. Some of the European fakes are so sophisticated, they can be made to pass for the real thing. Unless you're happy playing launch titles, KOF and SS, having a large AES library will be extremely expensive.

Once you get into the rare AES carts (Slugs, BTG, Ninja Masters, Pulstar/Blazing Star, etc.), your risk of getting ripped off increase exponentially. Unless you know people on the forum, or buy from Shawn's store or have a trusted domestic or foreign seller, rare carts are going to be a crap shoot. It gets worse if you are seeking English carts, nevermind the drama that goes with them.

That leaves us with MVS. New and old collectors are scooping these up for various reasons. Once common carts, like Magician Lord, are soaring in price because there are less of these items in the marketplace. The new elegance of CMVS systems, shockboxes and inserts are also driving up demand.

Just like the OG collectors that are keeping their genuine AES carts, people are scooping up popular MVS titles and keeping them as well. When rare carts (like SSVS or Sengoku 2) come up on Ebay, the bidding wars are ruthless. These factors are driving up MVS prices and inspiring these same criminals into producing MVS bootlegs.

Ganryu and NITD are almost extinct in MVS format. SS3, KOF96 and FF3 AES carts are headed that way too, thanks to conversions. Will genuine MVS carts, untouched by greedy cart-killers, be the most sought-after Neo Geo product?

5-10 years ago, you could buy most MVS carts for under $50. Now a fair price is almost double that, and in some cases, much much more. Is MVS becoming AES 2.0?

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
5-10 years ago, you could buy most MVS carts for under $50. Now a fair price is almost double that, and in some cases, much much more. Is MVS becoming AES 2.0?

I predicted this when people started printing fancy inserts for their MVS carts and lined them up like homecarts. Back then, I got laughed at.

Ah well. Hope the ol' things-come-and-go-in-waves thing will bring down interest in amassing as much stuff as quickly as possible again. Until then, I'm going to play my 100% genuine homecarts and CDs, sit back and watch the madness unfold.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
It won't be nearly as bad. Nice copies of the more sought after games may end up costing a bit more than $100 but it will still be worth it.

Also, those who just want cheap games can always opt for the hockey puck carts.

Last edited:

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ah well. Hope the ol' things-come-and-go-in-waves thing will bring down interest in amassing as much stuff as quickly as possible again. Until then, I'm going to play my 100% genuine homecarts and CDs, sit back and watch the madness unfold.

Right on. I hope so too. With the Neo Geo X disaster and the disillusionment of new collectors, I have seen a dip in prices. Let's hope this trend continues. I'm enjoying my genuine MVS collection. No pretty artwork needed. :D

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
MVS is the fleshlight of the neo world.

It'll get you to the same place and feel nice, but doesn't feel the same and is less expensive than the real thing.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I predicted this when people started printing fancy inserts for their MVS carts and lined them up like homecarts. Back then, I got laughed at.

It's like it was so obvious that this would happen.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Right on. I hope so too. With the Neo Geo X disaster and the disillusionment of new collectors, I have seen a dip in prices. Let's hope this trend continues. I'm enjoying my genuine MVS collection. No pretty artwork needed. :D

Yeah. I still feel kinda sorry for those who are genuinely interested in the Neo and would love to play all the great games on real hardware but can't due to the ridiculous prices most Neo-related items fetch nowadays.

Thankfully, a lot of Neo games have been released as decent ports on various systems. It's not the real thing but better than nothing (read, ROMs ;) ).

It's like it was so obvious that this would happen.

Back then when putting high-q DIY inserts into Shockboxes was new, people didn't want to hear about it. MVS still had this street-cred thing going about it so it was considered blasphemy to call MVS owners collectors, except for those who went for complete kits. In reality, some (not all) of them obviously wanted to recreate the homecart feeling by letting their MVS collection look as homcart-y as possible...

And look where we are now.

Last edited:

Jeneki

Enemy Chaser
MVS is the fleshlight of the neo world.

It'll get you to the same place and feel nice, but doesn't feel the same and is less expensive than the real thing.
That depends what you're looking for. Some want a legit arcade hardware experience, in which case AES doesn't even get considered.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
one day in the future, future hipsters will collect Neo Geo games to look more hipster.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
That depends what you're looking for. Some want a legit arcade hardware experience, in which case AES doesn't even get considered.
AES is so far removed from being an arcade hardware experience it's laughable. I'd sooner just kick back and play Real Bout Special on the Gameboy colour. A much closer experience to the MVS release...

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,

Sticking with the fake vagina HW analogy, some people also buy, sell and trade real dolls (on this forum no less).

Some people don't want real female interaction and the price that comes with it.

Some people don't want real arcade experience and are willing to pay the price..

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
With the influx of CMVS production, people want more mvs carts and they want it now.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I think the shift would be very obvious once the Omega shells are produced and circulated.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
serious MVS collectors:

Convince neo Noobs to buy the 161, then the only rare carts will be the ones not on the multi (shock troopers, ML, ghost pilots, sengoku2 etc.) but at least you'll have less fighting over your pulstars, NitD's and ss5 specials.

Geddon_jt

Creator of the Master List,
20 Year Member
AES is so far removed from being an arcade hardware experience it's laughable. I'd sooner just kick back and play Real Bout Special on the Gameboy colour. A much closer experience to the MVS release...

I can't tell if this is a joke, have you played an AES? What does this statement even mean?

Believe it or not, for some (myself included) there is no better way to play Neo than an AES thru a good CRT tv, period. It sure beats having to hook up a big arcade machine, or worse, the CMVS route... To each their own for sure, but to say AES is "far from the arcade experience", that's not true at all, the games are identical, and in many ways the experience is more convenient and overall enjoyable.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Magician Lord was never a very common game on MVS. Some of the early games that we consider common on AES were not big in the arcade, and simply aren't as plentiful. Because the games are easy to find and cheap on the home system, it causes the misconception that the MVS version should also be cheap.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I think the shift would be very obvious once the Omega shells are produced and circulated.

I just hope it doesn't end up killing off more original carts in the long run.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It's a good thing I'm pretty much done buying mvs carts. Nothing beats the big red neo cab for the arcade experience, including the part where you have to insert a quarter.

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
It is rather mess up on how much prices have spiked for some titles on the mvs.I see allot of the blame going towards the cmvs and in a way i can see why.Heck when i bought one years ago 'there were not that many at all for choices in it.Back then were more towards a aes or the mvs+supergun.Now with the analogue woody and the omega,plus what people offer here there are more to choose from.

Still i never did finish off collecting for it because i got into other consoles as of late.I do have most of the games i wanted for it expect for NITD and SSVS.Oh well maybe in the future i'll just buy a multicart and play those titles that way.

Last edited:

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've got most of the MVS carts that I'd ever want so I hope the prices go up. Transform my stuff into someone elses silly idea of an investment ;)

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
It's a good thing I'm pretty much done buying mvs carts. Nothing beats the big red neo cab for the arcade experience, including the part where you have to insert a quarter.

Good thing I'm done too. Eventually when I can upgrade my home with some real space, I plan to restore a big red as well. It's one of my dream projects.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Magician Lord was never a very common game on MVS. Some of the early games that we consider common on AES were not big in the arcade, and simply aren't as plentiful. Because the games are easy to find and cheap on the home system, it causes the misconception that the MVS version should also be cheap.

I bought mag lord for 25 shipped last year, common or not, it still shouldn't be what it is now.