The samurai shodown 3 hitbox fix

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Just hoping I could get a bit more info on what exactly it does. Particularly interested in any changes made to basara. Thanks

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
The hitbox fix is for the hit detection. SS3 has some of the worst hit detection. There are times that your weapon would go right through the enemy if you were too close. It applies to all characters.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
cool, any other changes made? Hopefully getting a cart in a few days an was wondering if it was worth getting it fixed.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
smkdan also made a menu that lets you change the damage level and multipliers for each character.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Right, read somewhere that he changed timings of some moves, or was that just an idea that never happened or an effect of the hitbox fix? Anyways, thanks for the info.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
ok, got the cart an want to do the hitbox fix, am I right that you only need to swap the p1 rom? Don't spose anyone could point me at the fixed version please? Ta

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ok, got the cart an want to do the hitbox fix, am I right that you only need to swap the p1 rom? Don't spose anyone could point me at the fixed version please? Ta

Yup, just swap out the PG1 if it's the BK1 version board. If it's the PROGSS3 then you have to swap out like 4-5 eproms.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
The original fix from SMKDan was to swap the PG1 from SamShoIV into SamShoIII. That fixed everything.

So basically, all you need is to find a copy of SSIV to sacrifice, and remove the PG1 chip.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Yup, just swap out the PG1 if it's the BK1 version board. If it's the PROGSS3 then you have to swap out like 4-5 eproms.

I'd like to upgrade my SS3 to the fixed version. I've got the PROGSS3 so I'm going to need to swap some eproms. Where can you find files for reflashing? I'm googling and searching the forums here and got zip.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
ah balls, mine's a ss3 board. Funnily enough it's one of the repaired ones on mvs scans, same coloured marker on the chips an everything...

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Another game that will go through the roof price wise.

Fulkelmis

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Hi,
and how to fix ss3 w/o sacrifying a SSIV card? Possible with an eeprom?
Thx.

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
yeah, deffo foolish to sacrifice an ss4. Just locate the roms, cough cough m**e and burn the right eeprom.

ahcmetal

Super Spy Agent
10 Year Member
Didn't stop the people from SAC'ing Ganryu for Sengoku 3.

Indeed...I have the art set...never would have thought the hard part would be finding another cart...

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
I'd like to upgrade my SS3 to the fixed version. I've got the PROGSS3 so I'm going to need to swap some eproms. Where can you find files for reflashing? I'm googling and searching the forums here and got zip.

I posted some info in here a while back. It's just the original revision SS3 program ROMs with some hitbox tweaks, a power on menu and a couple of bugfixes from what I remember. I used one of yaton's Korean SS3 carts personally since he had heaps of them for cheap a few years ago. The one ROM that causes the censoring and muting gets replaced anyway so you have a fully working JP/US region cart after the EPROM swap. The matching ROMs on the board just get swapped with the ones in the zip. No dead SSIV carts necessary :lolz:

mr aize

Dodgeball Yakuza
Whoop, just converted my Korean cart an it worked perfectly, big up to smkdan for the programming an chears Xian for the link. Happy days.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
Do people tend to prefer SS3 to SS4 once the hitbox glitch has been removed? SS4's always been a favorite, and I hadn't really considered purchasing SS3 unless it came as part of some kind of set.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
The hitbox's are fine in SSIII. The whiff's make sense if you understand the engine. You wanna fix something, fix the death combos characters like basara have off of crouching kicks. I am a good SSIII player, not even kidding, and replacing aspects of this games engine with changes can fuck it up worse. SSIII has the best engine of the entire series. The parry system is amazing, being dumb and getting AB'd into death combos is fun to. Stupid shit is stuff like I mentioned and other easy infinite's that don't require swapping behind an opponent.

SSIII is such a brutally great counter poking game at its best, its not even funny. And Ukyo was never more fun then he is in SSIII.
How the heck is this game going to go through the roof price wise?

I wish the SSIII engine remained in this series, and they just removed the infinite's. SSIII has meta game like 3rd strike does at good level. Totally more rewarding then any other SS in the series IMO. Love SSIII.

The damage level change is just ignorance of what SSIII is. It's about counter attacks, that's why it shoots out a percentage of damage based on a dirty counter. Its what makes it a balls out amazing game. You learn fast to either manage your poking game well, or just get beef'd out by a counter. Counter's taking more then half life is justified for what it is. You deserve it if you screw up so bad or get read out, and get a fierce slash to the face. Great stuff.

SSIV, dumb ass game with 14 hitters you can make into corny infinite's with the right amount of practice, a watered down sluggy engine, and other bad changes. Just isn't a good fighting game compared to SSIII. Everyone loved it over SSIII. Nothing about SSIV is better then III. V is painfully unnecessary, but leagues better then IV, and I haven't played special, but from what I've seen, its missing important stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuyhbEDVBsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6BYfsrhLA

This is what is dumb about SSIII. The easy access infinite's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsNSIbEo-g

haha btw, watch this one while you're at =]

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
The hitbox's are fine in SSIII. The whiff's make sense if you understand the engine. You wanna fix something, fix the death combos characters like basara have off of crouching kicks. I am a good SSIII player, not even kidding, and replacing aspects of this games engine with changes can fuck it up worse. SSIII has the best engine of the entire series. The parry system is amazing, being dumb and getting AB'd into death combos is fun to. Stupid shit is stuff like I mentioned and other easy infinite's that don't require swapping behind an opponent.

SSIII is such a brutally great counter poking game at its best, its not even funny. And Ukyo was never more fun then he is in SSIII.
How the heck is this game going to go through the roof price wise?

I wish the SSIII engine remained in this series, and they just removed the infinite's. SSIII has meta game like 3rd strike does at good level. Totally more rewarding then any other SS in the series IMO. Love SSIII.

The damage level change is just ignorance of what SSIII is. It's about counter attacks, that's why it shoots out a percentage of damage based on a dirty counter. Its what makes it a balls out amazing game. You learn fast to either manage your poking game well, or just get beef'd out by a counter. Counter's taking more then half life is justified for what it is. You deserve it if you screw up so bad or get read out, and get a fierce slash to the face. Great stuff.

SSIV, dumb ass game with 14 hitters you can make into corny infinite's with the right amount of practice, a watered down sluggy engine, and other bad changes. Just isn't a good fighting game compared to SSIII. Everyone loved it over SSIII. Nothing about SSIV is better then III. V is painfully unnecessary, but leagues better then IV, and I haven't played special, but from what I've seen, its missing important stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kuyhbEDVBsg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl6BYfsrhLA

This is what is dumb about SSIII. The easy access infinite's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rsNSIbEo-g

haha btw, watch this one while you're at =]
I agree. While I think it's awesome that smkdan put all the work into this, and that people are using it and loving it, I find it hard to fathom that SNK made mistakes so glaring that they could be fixed by fans. I also worry a bit about legitimate carts from the factory being modded and getting into circulation (although it isn't a rare game). The hitboxes are as they are because of the way SNK intentionally balanced the game. Perhaps the game is more accessible with the modifications, but it is actually a very advanced level game. Perhaps players find it hard to understand because they find it difficult to play certain characters or see hits landing that look as if they missed, but I do believe they were done intentionally in order to balance the game the way the programmers saw fit. No way could such a high quality production have that many glaring problems.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Programmers make mistakes all the time. The hitboxes in SS3 are not fine, certain moves don't hit the enemy if you are too close to them even though the animation makes it look like you are. SNK made a lot of mistakes programming some of their games ranging from hit detection to slowdown.