The JP NG Games Co-operative Translation Thread....

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Ok lads...

It's been a while... but as a forum.. we can pull together... and do something worth while...

Kabob started this off... HERE! ... and I wish to see if it's possible...

The aim is to translate into ENGLISH the non english Neo geo titles...

We will need:

1) To dump the Non-English only games...
2) Tranlsate the text
3) Reprogram the code to reflect:

TEXT
AUDIO
GRAPHIC

4) Burn the roms again into a format we can use...

Look lads... I just want to see if this is possible and if some of the guys here would help us the fook out...

There are some issues...

A) Funding... we may need donations to pay said programmers AND possibly to negotiate rights issues.
B) We need fully dedicated people... you will be rewarded with cash or sex... maybe both...

If there's ANYTHING that you can contribute... be it information... Constructive posts... and maybe even cash...

Please post it in this thread...

xROTx

PS. I'm in chat almost constantly... either pop in and see me... or leave a message with anyone who's there... if you find that easier...

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I'm offended.

It should be JP, not JAP.

JAP is an ethnic slur.

JP is the accepted shortening of Japan/Japanese.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I'm offended.

It should be JP, not JAP.

JAP is an ethnic slur.

JP is the accepted shortening of Japan/Japanese.

Sorry... my mistake Yodd pal...

I'll amend that...

xROTx

PS. I know you've just moved... but spamming my thread will get you royally killed...

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
wish I knew JAPanese so I could help! Would be nice to get some english MAHJONG titles (I've never played and would like to... maybe)

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
wish I knew JAPanese so I could help! Would be nice to get some english MAHJONG titles (I've never played and would like to... maybe)

thats where im at. i also lack the tech knowledge to help in other departments.

good luck!

aria

Former Moderator
Thanks for starting this, Rot. Once we sort out exactly what would be required, we can create a scope of work.

When we start planning something that involves hiring people and money it's best to make a thread that's formal (who wants to donate money to a person who sounds confusing?), straightforward (if I can't understand it, why donate?), and with clear goals (when do I have a legitimate beef that things aren't happening?).

As you've seen, going sloppy can cause distractions. The lack of professionalism and transparency toasted TonK, and I believe in operating completely differently. I've already raised over a thousand dollars for a reddit donations project earlier this year by practicing what I preach.

Fundraising will be simple, there are plenty of options for collecting funds.

Here's how I view where we are now:

What we need help with now is help identifying the scope of work. Once we get that, we can start finding possible candidates and get quotes for the scope of work. Once we get quotes, we can see if it's an amount we can realistically fund raise--and for that we need to start promoting off-site as a NG.com Community program meant to benefit all gamers everywhere.​

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
This is a great idea Rot and I woudl love to help.. If I could.

I hava a close friend living in Japan and he loves his Neo so I would be more than happy to pass over any blocks of text to get translated. He now also has a Japanese wife so that will make sure it is translated 100%.

And as much as I agree that the term 'JAP' was once used in a derogatory way, it is only regarded as such when used in that context. The term JAP is totally acceptable when being used it in it's correct context as you were.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I can code in quite a few languages, if I could see the dump of a game I could offer services for game/text offering. However I would request for me personally to do the Mahjong titles as I'm tired of getting my ass kicked as them. Would do all the work for free, only request would be a Neo Mahjong controller :)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
And as much as I agree that the term 'JAP' was once used in a derogatory way, it is only regarded as such when used in that context. The term JAP is totally acceptable when being used it in it's correct context as you were.

I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in the USA calling a Japanese person a JAP or using it in ANY context is the same as using the the N word.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
This is a great idea Rot and I woudl love to help.. If I could.

I hava a close friend living in Japan and he loves his Neo so I would be more than happy to pass over any blocks of text to get translated. He now also has a Japanese wife so that will make sure it is translated 100%.

Thx Roger... ANY help would be appreciated...

I can offer the sex.

If it comes to that... I'm going tohold you to it fooker...

I can code in quite a few languages, if I could see the dump of a game I could offer services for game/text offering. However I would request for me personally to do the Mahjong titles as I'm tired of getting my ass kicked as them. Would do all the work for free, only request would be a Neo Mahjong controller :)

Thx Sazae pal... I'm waiting for the tech guru's to pop in and dump the roms for me...

Once I have the code.... I think... i'll find a place to host them... and find some people who can co-operate with each other...

xROTx

PS. Sazae... if we can get this working... the Mahjong controller won't be a prob... i'll personally source one for you...

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Ohh and to actually add something to the thread, I can assist with funding.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
I don't know what it's like in the UK, but here in the USA calling a Japanese person a JAP or using it in ANY context is the same as using the the N word.

Like Rot orignally used it in the context of.. in the UK when I used to buy import games and Anime in the 80s and 90s they were always referred to as JAP.. nothing offensive, just abbreviated. The term in the UK has not been considered that way fro many decades, although the N word is when used by white people but is used by black people all the time.

To me, it is all about context and a term is only considered offensive when it is said in that way. The fact that we are having this discussion is making it come over as that when it isn't.

Anyway, back to the thread.... :D

Rot, have you spoken with your brother about it... has he the time or contacts to help out...?
And probably best you don't offer him both cash and sex though... there are laws about that I think... ;)

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Rot, have you spoken with your brother about it... has he the time or contacts to help out...?
And probably best you don't offer him both cash and sex though... there are laws about that I think... ;)

My brother lives in japan with his wife and kid...

..I won't lie to you... i'd rather he NOT be involved... because he's one anti-social fuck... he nearly killed me when I asked him to source a game for a friend here...

Let's just say... if he was a member here... I'd be forced to ban his arse...

xROTx

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Umm... No mention of the games involved?

We're looking for a PROCESS first before individual titles can be decided upon....

Don't make me fuckin kill you here man... the list of games is unimportant until we can get a PROCESS and the correct people onboard...

xROTx

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

Calm your anus, yankee.

rcantor77

Baseball Star Hitter
Rot, If we want more commitment on funding... why don't we look at setting up a Kickstarter Project.

We can try and draw up how much we believe the costs to be, lay out some milestones and then offer CDs/Carts of the created games.

That way we could possibly get money quicker and maybe more back people donating as they would only have money taken once the venture reached it's milestone and was started. Just a thought.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Them and any other ethnic group, including us. Infact, I think you should apologize everytime you meet some with native american heritage :smirk:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Nice one, Rot.

I can't offer any technical help but I'd be willing to donate for the good cause.

I think it would be a good idea to stick to ROM releases for emulators first and then decide which format the respective games can/should be converted to, homecart, MVS, CD, etc. Of course there's no real choice in some cases (like SSRPG or Mahjong Final Romance 2) but stuff like Quiz Chibi or Meitantei Neo & Geo could be released as roms for playtesting and debugging purposes until they're good to go.