The King of Fighters '98 is a Rare Masterpiece. Defines the Neo Geo in my eyes...

Strange

War Room Troll
I discovered The King of Fighters '98 last year in 2012. OMG, it was love at first sight - The incredibly fun and for the most part balanced gameplay! The timeless art style and dynamic stages! One of the best soundtracks in all of video gaming! Characters with such strong interesting personalities! That amazing charming Japanese high pitched announcer! A multiple character round based fighting system that adds so much diversity to each match! Heck even the sound effects are amazing! - I consider KOF 98 one of the genuinely few masterpieces in all of video gaming. A game that really does stand the test of time with pretty much endless replayability.

Am I the only one who feels this way? KOF 98 single-handedly is making me save up my pennies in order to purchase that nice wooden CMVS. I don't see myself tiring of this game ever. Since I've discovered 98 I've played most big Neo Geo games, and there are a lot of great games on the platform no doubt, but 98 really is in a league of it's own. I'm American and Street Fighter was always the hot stuff here while KOF was nothing and to me KOF completely annihilates SF. I'm really surprised how wonderful 98 really is after all these years. A 10/10!

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I think street fighter defined the neo. In a round about way of course...

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
This thread is prolly like 1,000 others saying how great KOF 98 is. I agree it's awesome, but all the KOF have a little something to offer.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It is a great game but you've turned it into some sort of love affair. NAM-1975 is quite honestly better all round.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
no, 98 is generally regarded as one of the weaker kofs. get with the times, noob.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
He hasn't discovered the deepness of Legend of Success Joe yet

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
The series peaked at KOF '2006' for me. Mignon Beart helped define KOF in my eyes...

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
no, 98 is generally regarded as one of the weaker kofs. get with the times, noob.

Yeah, it got replaced by 2k2.

...or was that KoF2k3, a.k.a King of gay androgynous Hello Kitty my-first-Sony fighters 2003.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
KOF 98 single-handedly is making me save up my pennies in order to purchase that nice wooden CMVS

If 98 is your holy grail, why not go AES? The system is cheaper than a CMVS, and KOF98 on AES is cheap.

ChrisB

Another Striker
I agree for me its 98, 99 then 97 are my favourites in that order. Great fighter, I own it on AES recently picked that up and on the mvs.

Strange

War Room Troll
Mainly I go with CMVS because I love the joystick of the Analogue Interactive. I like the component output also.... So, might as well get the matching system as well.

Last edited:

ESP_SVT

New Challenger
The Analogue Interactive stick will work with the AES. It will work on any Neo system with DB15 inputs, actually.

As for KOF '98, I think it's the best fighting game SNK has ever made and the second best fighting game of all time.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
As for KOF '98, I think it's the best fighting game SNK has ever made and the second best fighting game of all time.

Second best next to SSF2T, Third Strike, MVC2, GGX, Killer Instinct?

I'd agree that KOF98 is among SNK's finest fighters, right up there with MOTW, SVC: MOTM, and Last Blade 1/2.

Strange

War Room Troll

I can only think of Super Turbo as someone's favorite over 98. Super Turbo is definitely The Queen of Fighting Games from the most innovation fighting game series of all time.... Yet in the end KOF98 is literally The King of Fighting Games for my taste...

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
At first I read that as SvC Chaos and gagged a little :)

Originally I wrote it as MOTM, but I added the SVC part so people wouldn't read over it and think I had listed MOTW twice. All these acronyms in the NG community can be confusing at times. In any case, I'd have to say Match of the Millenium is my favorite SNK fighting game of all-time.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah, it got replaced by 2k2.

...or was that KoF2k3, a.k.a King of gay androgynous Hello Kitty my-first-Sony fighters 2003.

Actually, I'm strongly in the camp that 2K2 makes 98 irrelevant.

ESP_SVT

New Challenger
I can only think of Super Turbo as someone's favorite over 98. Super Turbo is definitely The Queen of Fighting Games from the most innovation fighting game series of all time.... Yet in the end KOF98 is literally The King of Fighting Games for my taste...

You got it. ST is the best, IMO. The gameplay is perfect and every hit counts. In the words of Daigo Umehara, "Only real men play 2X." That being said, I think MOTW is third best. I like it better than 3rd Strike, which is a great game as well.

Strange

War Room Troll

Oh yeah. That's why there are 3 lobbies always packed for KOF98 on GGPO as opposed to the sparsely populated single room for 2K2. 98 is just outdated shite.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member

Yeah, I was only half-joking as I know that 2k2 replaced 98 as the game of choice of many skilled players and tournament regulars shortly after its release. It has a spot-on and deep engine, great speed and very interesting (and practically useful) movelist updates, and it's relatively bug-free. I've made my peace with stuff like frog-hop Takuma a long time ago, took me a while to tune in to the game... ah well.