My Neo Geo AES might be dead (fixed)

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I ordered a Flame Meister recently, mainly because I got the fighter bug again and wanted to get down with some Neo Geo action.

Turns out that my AES (one of those with a good serial) seems to be dead. I got a hold of a step down converter (couldn't find the one I've always been using) and tried to plug it in, but I hear no sound from the headphone jack. Only a slight buzz that goes away if I remove the power supply from the console.

Isn't there a little red lamp inside the console that lights up when the power is on? I couldn't find it.

I can't see if it has a picture, cuz I don't have the Flame Meister yet. I have no Scart inputs in my otherwise awesome setup, and I've never come across a composite cable. I've been through ALL my cable storage boxes over the last few days.

Any ideas? I really would like not to have to get a new console. And then I'd have to send it away to be modded, since I probably won't get one with a good serial again.

:help:

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I seriously doubt you fried it. Wait for the xrgb to come in.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I took it by a friend's place and it's the sound that's missing. No sound on headphone jack or AV out. What to do? :)

If some of y'all have some pics to go by that would be great; we have no idea what we're looking for.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I took it by a friend's place and it's the sound that's missing. No sound on headphone jack or AV out. What to do? :)

If some of y'all have some pics to go by that would be great; we have no idea what we're looking for.

turn the volume control on the bottom of the system all the way to the right.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
And it's working again :) He fixed some capacitor that seemed to be shorted, and now it's up and running again, including sound in the headphone jack. We don't know if that was the exact cause, and I probably had a picture all the time, but it's cool now in any case.

My own RGB Scart cable was quite fucked, so I borrowed his Genesis 1 cable until I get a new one.

What power supply are you using?

I'm using an official power supply with a step down. No problems there :)

Thanks very much for all the suggestions in this thread here.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
And it's working again :) He fixed some capacitor that seemed to be shorted, and now it's up and running again, including sound in the headphone jack. We don't know if that was the exact cause, and I probably had a picture all the time, but it's cool now in any case
a.k.a. you turned the volume control on the bottom of the system all the way to the right... ;)