I Didn't Think This Existed....? (Ghostlop AES)

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
What's so weird about that? It's a Ghostlop conversion for AES. Why would you assume it's a crock of shit?

Looked like it was being sold as "genuine" . No mention of a conversion and was only listed as a proto on the master list. didnt know it made it out in MVS format.... Never mind...

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Ghostlop was never released. All copies floating around will have EPROMs in them. So they are bootlegs, not conversions.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Ghostlop was never released. All copies floating around will have EPROMs in them. So they are bootlegs, not conversions.

All conversions are bootlegs to me. I don't care if you took real Metal Slug MVS PROMs and stuck them in a home cart shell with nice art. It's a fake. It's a bootleg. There is no difference in terminology in my book.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
All conversions are bootlegs to me. I don't care if you took real Metal Slug MVS PROMs and stuck them in a home cart shell with nice art. It's a fake. It's a bootleg. There is no difference in terminology in my book.

Amen to that. Conversions blow.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Unfortunately, buying a genuine Ghostlop cart just isn't an option here for people other than TSmallz or TonK. XD

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member

At least get the definitions right. A conversion has to involve two donor carts, AES and MVS. You can't convert an unreleased game, it was never on either format. EPROMs also don't count, since they will probably be bought used, programmed and slapped into a cart.

I have one fake AES game. It suits my needs perfectly.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
At least get the definitions right. A conversion has to involve two donor carts, AES and MVS. You can't convert an unreleased game, it was never on either format. EPROMs also don't count, since they will probably be bought used, programmed and slapped into a cart.

I have one fake AES game. It suits my needs perfectly.

Wait, what? Says who? You? You're wrong:

con·vert1 [v. kuhn-vurt; n. kon-vurt] Show IPA
verb (used with object)
to change (something) into a different form or properties; transmute; transform.
to cause to adopt a different religion, political doctrine, opinion, etc.: to convert the heathen.
to turn to another or a particular use or purpose; divert from the original or intended use: They converted the study into a nursery for the baby.
to modify (something) so as to serve a different function: to convert an automobile factory to the manufacture of tanks.
to obtain an equivalent value for in an exchange or calculation, as money or units of measurement: to convert bank notes into gold; to convert yards into meters.

Don't be stupid. To covert something simply means to take one thing and change it to something else. Someone took a perfectly good home cart and converted it, by replacing it's chips, to a Ghostlop cart. If you're going to try and be the word police, at least learn what words mean.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Now you're just getting picky. Neo-Geo strays pretty far from norms. It's effectively the only console with two physically/electronically different cartridge formats, but with the same ROM chips. A conversion involves taking chips from one cart and putting them into another. Anything else is a bootleg. Neo-Geo also wields insane prices, causing people to do anything to swipe those big bucks.

But, I do know that the sole purpose of mask ROM conversions is to scam people. From that perspective, you're free to call any non-legitimate AES cart a bootleg or fake, regardless of how fake it is. Personally, a mask ROM conversion is a lot more legitimate than an EPROM cart.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I think the seller is assuming everyone knows that all Ghostlop carts are homemade. It's probably against Ebay rules to sell them.

El Capitan

Mai's Apprentice
I think the seller is assuming everyone knows that all Ghostlop carts are homemade. It's probably against Ebay rules to sell them.

Yeah, it's mine.

Yep - it's not a conversion, since as someone said above, it's never been released, so it's not a conversion from MVS to AES.

This is a Ghostlop from Mr Rot Te.... it's as "original" as you can get since he had some of the first copies of the game once the code was dumped.

I will add some blurb to the listing for those who don't know the history of this game...

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
It's a conversion in theory as Ghostlop was an MVS proto cart however because it's just ROM's burnt onto chips and placed into a sacrificed home cart, it's a bootleg. That said you have very little options with a proto so it's not really either. and... who really cares anyway.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I hate how excessively heavy Neo Geo carts get if they have a lot of EPROMs in them. I had one with nearly full PROGBK1 and CHA256 boards. It was ridiculously heavy for it's size. I don't think the AES cart slot is designed with that kind of weight in mind.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I hate how excessively heavy Neo Geo carts get if they have a lot of EPROMs in them. I had one with nearly full PROGBK1 and CHA256 boards. It was ridiculously heavy for it's size. I don't think the AES cart slot is designed with that kind of weight in mind.

Being vertical weight on a rigidly mounted PCB I would be very surprised if there was any PCB flex on the system from using a 'heavy' cart. Id pump some iron too, cause nothing neo geo is heavy.