Will AES eventually "die out" and be for rich collectors only?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
By die out I mean, will AES end up being a collector-only thing? The sort of things that ends up in a museum for historical significance. MVS gets way more new product support than AES does and prices for AES stuff continuously gets higher and higher, further pulling the system away from people who want to play with it.

I guess it's an interesting question, or it's just me seeing how I'm vastly overtired and my brain isn't working properly.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
By die out I mean, will AES end up being a collector-only thing? The sort of things that ends up in a museum for historical significance. MVS gets way more new product support than AES does and prices for AES stuff continuously gets higher and higher, further pulling the system away from people who want to play with it.

I guess it's an interesting question, or it's just me seeing how I'm vastly overtired and my brain isn't working properly.
Spoiler:

GAFzHuk.jpg

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Except for maybe the handful of older, cheaper games, this is already true.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
No, it won't. The current spike in popularity is probably due to the NGX, suddenly you get a lot of fly-by-night "fans" who spend a lot of money in a short period of time, burn out, and sell up. These things go in cycles, old consoles seem to be in vogue in general atm. The op is nothing more than a variation on the recurring whine of "Home carts iz for lame collector, I r real MVS gaymer, true arcade experience hurr durr" What the hell is wrong with you?

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
The AES has alway's had it's elitist reputation for being a rich man's console and there is no sign it will get any better either anytime soon.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
The AES will live on for generations feasting on the blood of new consoles like a vampire getting stronger with age.

supergoose

Die Gans,
20 Year Member
there are more than enough inexpensive games that can make owning a home system worthwhile. especially since a few of the older games are getting harder to find on mvs.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Yes, AES will continue to be a niche console. Probably will be seen increasingly "behind glass" only as supply dwindles over the years.
CMVS and the more plentiful games will increasingly push the AES into "elite" collector territory. Eventually it'll just be a handful of wealthy old men with handle-bar mustaches restoring their home consoles and occasionally driving them around town on sunny days.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
No, but the chance of you or 99% of collectors owning a complete collection are slim to none.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think eventually mvs carts will go up in price as well. I remember a few years ago I could get for example mark of the wolves mvs for $65. Now I see alot of people asking $150+ for a loose cart. Alot of regular games that are easily obtainable like nam 1975, super spy, magician lord in aes format are becoming harder to find in mvs format. Why must there be so much hate towards people who collect aes carts. Is it because they want them so bad but dont have the means to buy them.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I think what has ruined video game collecting in general is VGA graded stuff.

These aren't fucking baseball cards or one of a kind works of art.

And yes, the home system has always been more for those with deep pockets. Sadly, though, it's not the cost that's the largest issue with collecting AES stuff, it's the fucking french bootleggers. A MVS cart is fairly easy to tell if it's a bootleg or not. Many times without even opening the shell (though that is the best way). With home carts you all but have to open them up. You can't rely on the quality of the insert or the cart sticker.

The bootlegging reason alone is why I consider the home system market to be a fool's errand.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If aes collectors stop buying these carts @ ridiculous prices, eventually the price has to come down. I collect aes games and am always looking for a good deal. Once and awhile I'll find a $200 cart for $60-65. It's kind of fun trying to hunt these carts down and find good deals. As far as these $500+ carts go, I just wouldnt shell that much, especially knowing it might be a conversion. Wish I could go back in time and pick up a few aes titles on the real cheap.

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
No, but the chance of you or 99% of collectors owning a complete collection are slim to none.

Assuming that everyone is striving towards a complete collection

I
Sadly, though, it's not the cost that's the largest issue with collecting AES stuff, it's the fucking french bootleggers. A MVS cart is fairly easy to tell if it's a bootleg or not. Many times without even opening the shell (though that is the best way). With home carts you all but have to open them up. You can't rely on the quality of the insert or the cart sticker.

The bootlegging reason alone is why I consider the home system market to be a fool's errand.

The bootlegging sucks on two levels, first , the counterfeits that have saturated the market and the paranoia that comes with it, and second, the destruction of original SNK products. How long will it take before we start running out of FF3's and KoF 95's, not to mention the rarer MVS carts. :E

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
If aes collectors stop buying these carts @ ridiculous prices, eventually the price has to come down. I collect aes games and am always looking for a good deal. Once and awhile I'll find a $200 cart for $60-65. It's kind of fun trying to hunt these carts down and find good deals. As far as these $500+ carts go, I just wouldnt shell that much, especially knowing it might be a conversion.

This can be applied to the new soars in MVS prices.

And I echo exactly what you're saying regarding the hunt. It's very rewarding finding that cart for a decent price.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Assuming that everyone is striving towards a complete collection

Yes.

I don't understand why anyone so caught up in paying the current extortianate amounts or concerned with these prices wouldn't be striving for a complete collection. Why bother spending so much on rare release to then not go the whole way and spend considerably less on titles that are much more common. That does not make any sense to a collector like myself.

If it's to play the game, well, we all know there are much cheaper ways...

ChrisB

Another Striker
I collect both AES and mvs but dont have any real high value carts if you can call jpn kof series high value. :)
Dont plan on buying an metal slug 1 for the aes anytime soon

Dont think aes collecting will ever die, mvs prices will increase due to the number of cmvs being made and the demand on the carts.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Dont think aes collecting will ever die, mvs prices will increase due to the number of cmvs being made and the demand on the carts.

This is 99% the reason.

1% due to the NGX.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't care about the collection aspect. Bought a homecart system and NGCD when MVS was not an option and have enough games by now that it wouldn't make sense to switch to MVS. There are quite a few Neo games (up to KoF95 and Samsho 2 in the timeline) that are inexpensive on homecart, sometimes they cost less than their MVS counterparts. The initial cost of buying (C)MVS systems also is higher (or requires soldering skills if you want to consolize a MVS board yourself) than for a homecart deck or CD system, of course the overall lower cost for the games quickly makes up for it... ...as long as you're going for bare carts, complete kits are something else.

It's true that the homecart system always was and will be interesting for collectors, simply because of the rarity of certain titles and their high value. Fine with me, it's their money, not mine. However, I'm having difficulties with the "MVS = for gamers, homecart = for collectors" thing, it's a commonplace that doesn't apply in each and every case.

Even though I don't like the thought of a cool Neo game rotting away behind the glass doors of a collector's cabinet without being played, I don't think that these people really take away something from us/the scene. There are plenty of ways to play Neo games, homecart system, MVS, NGCD, ports, etc. If you're really interested in trying some of them, you don't necessarily have to shell out big time for the homecart version or make things worse for all of us by creating or buying bloody convs.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I forgot to mention Mvs Kit Collectors. Prices on some complete kits are ridiculous as well. I would have to say that the hunt for complete kits is probably harder then the hunt for complete home carts since alot of arcade vendors from back in the day scrapped boxes, move stickers, and marquees. Some Mvs Kit Collectors will go above and beyond to get a complete kit of a certain game (matching serials and all that good stuff). I honestly think Aes Home Cart Collecting is No Different then MVS Complete kit collecting. They are both high price hobbies, It all balances out. A loose MVS Cart is probably worth as much as a loose Aes cart, if not more. You just don't see too many loose home carts around vs complete. So No, Aes will not eventually die out.

Last edited:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I don't think the homecart system will die out. It's still a convenient way to get into the Neo because you don't need any technical skills to use it. Going the arcade hardware route isn't everyone's cup of tea, at least if you don't want to buy/can't afford a ready-made consolized MVS board, let alone a cab.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I have both the console and the cab. I simply buy the cart that's the cheaper of the two versions.