My Neo MVS Controller

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Hey I am finalizing the design of my Neo MVS pad based on a Snes 3rd party controller. Let me me know your thoughts. The colored lines in the middle is just decoration.

The controller is already painted just need to add the logo and the LED

imageklm.jpg

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
thoughts: it looks cheap... sort of... maybe that's just me and the cutout image... but also why would you want to play with a pad... meh... hungry...

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Well some of that is photoshopped so that is why it probably looks cheap. Not final product. And it's a dpad because I needed a 2nd controller! I got an AES stick and needed a 2nd controller.

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Im liking it im a pad and stick user and dont mind gaming on pad every now and then i sure would buy a couple

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
I am also thinking of making the shoulder buttons mapped to button combos. For the Neo fighting games what would be the best combinations? Like A+B and C+D or is there other good ones used for most fighting games?

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Why wouldn't you just buy a Neo CD pad?

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
Yeah A+B & C+D thats how the buttons are mapped out on the PS3 controller when playing games from the NeoGeo Station on PSN and the triggers are something like A+C & B+D so you got the right idea

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
Because I had this controller just hanging out and didn't want to wait for a controller to arrive lol

Also this controller has a 10ft cord so it's nice to chill on the couch

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Unless this one has the benefit of factory black, a Famicom pad might look a little more streamlined.
Regardless, for what it is, I can't not like it. :D

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
The benefit of factory black? Not following you.

Unless this one has the benefit of factory black, a Famicom pad might look a little more streamlined.
Regardless, for what it is, I can't not like it. :D

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
All you really need is to mod a pair of sega saturn controllers ;)

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
ok here is some new snaps of the controller. I am not going for the turbo switches at this time, call me lazy (not too hard but decided to add LED's instead at this time). FYI - right now I don't have the needed surface mount LED's, so in the first photos you will see the clear plastic guides but aren't illuminated (the very last photo is photoshopped). Also I decided to remove the "circle" pad near the ABCD buttons, it just didn't look right with the faded paint job for some reason. Happier with it off.

photoeyh.jpg

photo2top.jpg

photo1back.jpg

Any constructive feedback welcome but please don't suggest I mod some other controller ;) I happen to like this one alot - super responsive and comfortable. And for me it is fun to build a custom controller like this instead of just buying one. :)

And here is the end concept, going with a Neo logo this time. For the LED's the easy route would be to have all of them illuminate at the same time, fancier method is illuminate upon button press. We'll see which one works out.

photolightsneogeoupdate.jpg

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The benefit of factory black? Not following you.
In other words, it came from the factory in a black shell (versus the PITA of having to paint/dye it yourself) ;)

ChiefofSB

Geese's Thug
The way it is on the Analogue Interactive Stick no but make it smaller put it up in the corner like a Madcatz stick then yes that would look much better and come to find out more people rather have the turbo function some barely use it some not at all but says its still a nice feature to have if needed and thats why Madcatz still put it on their sticks and so does Hori and Eightarc etc. its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it or something like that

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
it would be cool if you could add a pot to adjust the frequency of auto-fire

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
yeah Bonk was another one that had to have turbo switches for Turbografx. I assume with Unibios I can have autofire assigned for games that could need them? Like shooters perhaps?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
I only ever found it useful once and that was on the TurboGrafx playing Sidearms, and I think I used it on the Genesis playing Super Fantasy Zone before too. Otherwise I have to agree, it's typically a waste.
Yep, most of the time, I think that is the case for Neo stuff (unless I'm dedicating my already short attention span to a shooter, and don't want "cement mixer wrist" afterwards).

duo_r

Armored Scrum Object
OK been a while since I worked on this but shoulder buttons are now A+B and C+D. Works awesome for the fighters as it's essentially a 6 button controller now.