Weird CPS3 issue

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
What's up guys. I noticed a strange problem with my SF2: 2nd Impact. You can't select a character with the short kick button. No biggie really, but you can't get that costume color, and I don't remember ever having this problem. Just wondering if anyone else can confirm this issue. I'm using a battery-free 2nd Impact cart btw, not modified in any way. I noticed a similar issue with Darksoft's New Generation ISO, but in that case, short kick and roundhouse select the same color. I chocked that up to the ISO not being 100% complete yet, but now this problem with 2I is making me wonder. If anyone else can confirm either of these issue, please feel free to comment. I'm starting to wonder if there is something wrong with my cart...

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Probably not a cart problem. It could be a wiring issue or a problem with the connector for the extra buttons. Check your grounds also.

I assume the button doesn't work during gameplay?

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
the button works just fine during gameplay. Also, when I go to the input screen in the test menu, everything checks out ok. I just tried 2 other 2nd Impact carts I have and the same issue remains. Mitsurugi, I know you follow Darksoft's blog pretty diligently - do you have the issue with the New Generation ISO where you get the same colors for light and hard kick?

arcade game

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
I had a similar problem.i just remove the kick harness
And put it back on.that solve the problem

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Thanks for the suggestions guys, but still no luck. So far I've tried 3 different 2I carts, my burned CD, and 2 original CD's with no difference. I'm gonna try another motherboard and see if that helps. All of my carts are US btw, not sure if that matters.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
This is a hail mary, but does your setup have jamma button 4 wired up?

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
This is a hail mary, but does your setup have jamma button 4 wired up?

Heh, funny. That happened to me once. Forgot I switched the wiring for MVS and forgot to switch it back.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Everything's wired up properly, but I still have the issue. I even tried 2 different motherboards in addition to the one I have hooked up now. The funny thing is, I can't use light-kick to select my character, but I can select with my super art with the same button. Also, 3rd Strike does not have this problem.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is Kick 1 (Button 4) wired independently or does it also have Neo 4 (D) connected to it?

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Is Kick 1 (Button 4) wired independently or does it also have Neo 4 (D) connected to it?
It has Neo 4 connected to it. I'm guessing this is my problem, but why then would all of my other CPS2/3 games function properly?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It has Neo 4 connected to it. I'm guessing this is my problem, but why then would all of my other CPS2/3 games function properly?

The coding in some games keep Neo 4 active even though it isn't actually used and this throws off the input commands. This is also why in some superguns (pointed out by DreamTR) when you play games like Vampire Savior/2 you can't pull off raging demons with Akuma. You can either install a switch for the Neo 4 or move it to it's own button or move it to Kick 3.

Scott

Edo Express Delivery Guy
The coding in some games keep Neo 4 active even though it isn't actually used and this throws off the input commands. This is also why in some superguns (pointed out by DreamTR) when you play games like Vampire Savior/2 you can't pull off raging demons with Akuma. You can either install a switch for the Neo 4 or move it to it's own button or move it to Kick 3.

Wow that actually makes a lot of sense now. I'l gonna assume that also it why I'm getting the incorrect costume colors in Darksoft's SF3: NG. Thanks a lot for the info...I was worried there was something wrong with my motherboard.