Red foam pads on mvs boards

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
Does anyone know where to buy pads that can be used to replace missing or damaged pads on mvs boards? I have looked on google and searched here on the boards, but have not found anything. Thanks for any help.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
What are they even used for? I always have to rip them off to change a battery or fix a board damaged in that area and the pad will never stick again. Is it to prevent static electricity?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Preventing the battery from shorting out.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Still seems kind of unnecessary to me. Just install a battery clip, mod the board to accept a non-rechargeable cell and change out the battery if it ever shorts out.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
well back in the 90's they didn't quite have those, and the idea of the battery constantly getting charged while the board was plugged into the cabinet supported that ideology lol.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Then how come there aren't foam pads all over the solder side of the board?

I just think it's a pointless addition is all. That pad is extremely annoying if you ever have to do testing or repair in the battery section of the board.

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I hate these pads so much. Is there an easy way to get the foam off the board from where someone ripped them off? My two slot has left over foam from where the previous owner pulled them off but did not clean them up. It looks ugly but I do not want to just scrape it off and risk damage to the pcb.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Then how come there aren't foam pads all over the solder side of the board?

I just think it's a pointless addition is all. That pad is extremely annoying if you ever have to do testing or repair in the battery section of the board.

You only need to grab the board in a couple of places to pick it up from the side. The sides are the most logical places to put them.

At the time of manufacture, the batteries were new so any notion of diagnosis or repair wasn't a concern. It wouldn't be until later that leaking batteries would be a problem causing pcb damage (i.e. MV4 crosshatch of death).

CheapNeoGeo

Kula's Can,
I am in need of some of those pads for various other projects and was just wondering were to get some.

Akille68

Crazed MVS Addict
On 2 slot boards there are 2 pads, so I do not think that it was a protection against shorts of the backup system...
I found a seller on epay that sells them, not red but black ones. Just check it around on that site...search key is "adhesive foam".

Last edited:

Akille68

Crazed MVS Addict
To remove their residues still glued on mobos I use a bit of nitro diluent, just a drop, they will come away easily...

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can buy foam padding w/adhesive backing at any craft store.