problem with MV1FZ +5V mod and LM7805 regulator

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Hello everybody,
I just recently did a 5V mod to my MV1FZ and since I couldn't get a hold of a 5V 3amp PSU locally I decided to used a LM7805 voltage regulator with a 9V 2Amp PSU. I know the 7805 only outputs 1Amp max.
So the issue is I am running the MV1FZ for about 10min then my screen starts to click, flicker a little bit then game completely stop. I then shut down the console wait a few minutes and it powers back up again and repeat. I am wondering if the problem is the PSU and the LM7805 itself or if I did something wrong? I followed the instructions posted on Jamma Nation X

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Get a proper PSU and wait before you screw something up and have to use another board.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
Get a proper PSU and wait before you screw something up and have to use another board.
Thought so. I will order one from jameco this week. Till then I will use my computer PSU i converted I was using initially before the 5V mod.
Thanks for the suggestion xian xi(BTW great tutorials :) very clear and helpful )

mikey

Marked Wolf
The LM338 can handle up to 5 amps if you still want to regulate the power

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
The LM338 can handle up to 5 amps if you still want to regulate the power

Thanks for the suggestion I'm going to stop in at my local electronic warehouse for some EPROMs so I will pick a lm338 up while I'm at it. Would you happen to know if I would need a higher amperage psu to support the current draw?

Skips

Belnar Institute Student
I agree with Xian Xi. The power regulator route seems a bit un-necessary and over complicates it a bit. It would be better to just order a 5 volt PSU. I use the one found here for both the MV1F and the 2 slot I consolized (http://tinyurl.com/cmhj3lp). Its 6.19 with free shipping and since you live in California you should get it within a few days.

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
I agree with Xian Xi. The power regulator route seems a bit un-necessary and over complicates it a bit. It would be better to just order a 5 volt PSU. I use the one found here for both the MV1F and the 2 slot I consolized (http://tinyurl.com/cmhj3lp). Its 6.19 with free shipping and since you live in California you should get it within a few days.

Thank you for the link.mthe other reason I was doing the regulator route was to turn my mv1c t handheld and after reading that thread I found the mv1c should be fine with it. While I know the mv1fz is a power house lol.