MVS kit bubblewrap baggie question. Yes, I'm that anal!

nem

n00b
Anal collector question time :help:, what color bubblewrap bags did the early MVS kits (pre-serial) have? :scratch:

Alternatively, if anyone can say for certain what kind of a bag an Alpha Mission II kit is supposed to have, that would be great! :mr_t: (unfortunately, the kit pic featured on the site doesn't include the cart baggie :angry:)

Thanks! :vik:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I have a few early ones like Nam 1975 with clear. The majority of mine are blue. Some of the later ones have a red-ish bag like MS4.

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
No offense, and to each their own, but if you're going to be that anal of a collector, wouldn't you be better off collecting home carts?

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
No offense, and to each their own, but if you're going to be that anal of a collector, wouldn't you be better off collecting home carts?
mvs has its own appeal (other than being cheaper), I think

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
mvs has its own appeal (other than being cheaper), I think

Definitely... Why I am into MVS myself. Problem is, these games were never supposed to be traded in a secondary market as full kits. The idea of finding a perfect kit, with all original pieces, when we don't even know if all the same pieces were used. It's just a bit of a needle in a haystack situation. I never got the kit collectors. I love getting all the goodies and a nice kit from time to time, but to be that anal over getting the exact right bubble wrap baggy? I mean, come on. That's taking it a bit too far for me. Go with something that was made for collecting, like the home system and pick up MVS carts for those that you don't either want to pay for full price on home cart, or etc, etc. :D Operators seldom kept the boxes, bags, etc from kits... Why would they? To get into kit collecting is just super nutty in my mind. Real thrill of the hunt, I guess, and finding that really rare item, but man. Sort of sadistic if you ask me.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
love me a minty complete kit with matching serials, NIB kits are harder to find. part of the fun I guess..

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
love me a minty complete kit with matching serials, NIB kits are harder to find. part of the fun I guess..

Well, more power to you. Probably keeps spending down as well. Granted, when you find something it's likely going to be a pretty penny, but these things don't come up every day so it's a lot more of waiting, watching, hoping to find something ;) That's probably better than the recent trend of mass-consumption we've been seeing anyway. MVS is definitely a seek it out and find the hidden gems, as I posted in the auction thread today. I just picked up a loose SS5S MVS cart for $150. Getting that good deal is a high all its own.

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
To get into kit collecting is just super nutty in my mind.

Then call me nutty. :D FWIW, I'm not collecting to make the full set of MVS titles. I only really "collect" the games I like playing. I do have a few looseys though... some I sell off etc. Hmmm... maybe this nutty thing has something to do with the fact I've started scooping home carts. :kekeke:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Then call me nutty. :D FWIW, I'm not collecting to make the full set of MVS titles. I only really "collect" the games I like playing. I do have a few looseys though... some I sell off etc. Hmmm... maybe this nutty thing has something to do with the fact I've started scooping home carts. :kekeke:

I've owned AES carts. Now I have changed to MVS kits. To me the perfect middle ground. MVS is the most raw form of Neo-Geo, and owning carts that have been into random big red cabs across the world makes them feel more special to me. The kits satisfy the collector urge inside of me which I wish I didn't have as my bank account would thank me. I'm a converted MVS head.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
On top of this, I play my games a lot more in MVS format. If I owned Blazing Star on AES for example, I'd be paranoid friends are scuffing my cart when they are over, or devaluing them myself by use. MVS kits are now at the price of AES carts in the year 2000 era. AES is so far out of my league in terms of price now. All the games I dreamed of having on AES ten years back when I was a 16 year old kid with a shitty job I could now afford, but I was at the wrong place at the wrong time. Added to the fact there are so many converted carts of the high priced titles, one reason I never bought AES carts during my stay in Japan. Sure MVS have boots to think about but if you go with kits the chance of getting a boot is slim to none. So kits it is, Ill embrace them and collect them all while I still can. ;)

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
I've owned AES carts. Now I have changed to MVS kits. To me the perfect middle ground. MVS is the most raw form of Neo-Geo, and owning carts that have been into random big red cabs across the world makes them feel more special to me. The kits satisfy the collector urge inside of me which I wish I didn't have as my bank account would thank me. I'm defininently a converted MVS head.

Yeah, I've noticed. ;) You're picking up some nice ones for sure. I dunno, I had always wanted an AES in the back of my mind and I've picked up a few cheaper carts for kicks. I don't think I'll start "collecting" much as far as home carts go. MVS kits that I enjoy playing and my cab are still my NG mainstays.

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
PS, I still can't believe I paid nearly the price of a MOTW AES cart for my kit but heh, times change. Now is the time if anyone wants to get into collecting kits, the prices will only rise as has been proven after being in this scene for 10 plus years. Looking at that US Sengoku 3 AES cart in the selling forums wowed me, I can't believe it reached the price that MS1 AES used to sell for. I remember when Shawn could barely get rid of his stock of those carts for 250$ here on this site back in the day. Crazy. After being there at that time I could never bring myself to drop that much more now on a cart like that. MOTW was a one time offense for me. Though I guess if I put it into perspective that kit only doubled in value, it didn't quadruple... I think that earlier auction for the MOTW kit that ended at like 900$ was a eBay fluke. I guess I should count my blessings though that I only paid around 500$. Sheesh.

Last edited:

Loefye

Lt. Laser,
Yeah, I've noticed. ;) You're picking up some nice ones for sure. I dunno, I had always wanted an AES in the back of my mind and I've picked up a few cheaper carts for kicks. I don't think I'll start "collecting" much as far as home carts go. MVS kits that I enjoy playing and my cab are still my NG mainstays.

Yea I grabbed a CMVS slim, waiting for memory card support to be added then it will ship to me. So far in two months I have a steady kit collection going. Savage Reign, KOF97, Garou, Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Voltage Fighter, Shock Troopers, Turfmasters, Metal Slug 2, Dodgeball, Neo XYX, Driftout and a deal pending for Blazing Star. Tried to hit all genres. If you couldn't tell I prefer wacky obscure fighting games over competitive ones... BTW you are in the Bay Area eh? I just moved back from Japan, in Sacramento now. Maybe we can get together and game, the saddest thing is I have no friends here to enjoy these with.

I plan to get a candy cab when one pops up, my dream is to own the rare mini candy with the bonnet. Hope I find one someday.

EDIT: Err maybe I confused you with someone else, Nuke City... Is that Las Vegas? Maybe I've played too much Fallout.

Last edited:

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Yea I grabbed a CMVS slim, waiting for memory card support to be added then it will ship to me. So far in two months I have a steady kit collection going. Savage Reign, KOF97, Garou, Aggressors of Dark Kombat, Voltage Fighter, Shock Troopers, Turfmasters, Metal Slug 2, Dodgeball, Neo XYX, Driftout and a deal pending for Blazing Star. Tried to hit all genres. If you couldn't tell I prefer wacky obscure fighting games over competitive ones... BTW you are in the Bay Area eh? I just moved back from Japan, in Sacramento now. Maybe we can get together and game, the saddest thing is I have no friends here to enjoy these with.

I plan to get a candy cab when one pops up, my dream is to own the rare mini candy with the bonnet. Hope I find one someday.

EDIT: Err maybe I confused you with someone else, Nuke City... Is that Las Vegas? Maybe I've played too much Fallout.

Naw. Nuke city as in the Lab. If you still don't get it you will eventually. :D

There is a pretty sweet fighter meet at a warehouse in Hayward. Definitely worth the drive and lots of candies to test out. Hit me up if you're ever in the Dub/Plsntn area!

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think Big Bear was selling dozens of that bubblewrap, in both colors, sometime ago.

Jonny l3lanka

Morden's Lackey
Regarding the baggies, from what I've seen from my recent stash, there are 3 types, clear, blue and pink. Which ones have which I couldn't tell you but I don't really mind. To be honest, if the colour of the baggie kind of matches the games artwork, I'll go with that :p Beyond that I REALLY don't mind what baggie it has, even if its a replacement is fine.

Regarding tha AES/MVS debate, to me neo geo will always be about the arcade and playing mvs carts on a real cab is pretty much neo heaven to me. I never really grew up with an AES so there is no nostalgia in it for me.

Neo Geo was never a home thing to me. SNK just made fancy shells, labels and manuals, consolized their own board (well officially so to speak) and released the same games with the same chips. That's how I see it right now and I find collecting arcade hardware a bit more interesting than home stuff :)

Mind you.. with my new working aes that might change sometime in the near future.. who knows.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
The MVS appeal for me was due to only playing NEO GEO in the arcade, I have never even touched an AES let alone play one.

That's because AES games are mean't to be collected and not played, That's where the MVS comes in.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
That's because AES games are mean't to be collected and not played, That's where the MVS comes in.

That's partly why I love owning AES stuff, because it completely defies the common notion that AES is for collectors only. Who cares if the carts and systems get scuffed, it feels awesome.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
That's partly why I love owning AES stuff, because it completely defies the common notion that AES is for collectors only. Who cares if the carts and systems get scuffed, it feels awesome.

I appreciate that but could you really say to me you would not mind having scuff and insertion mark's on a mint US Metal Slug? If I did that cart would never touch a Neo Geo AES and would be for collection purposes only?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't have any rare and/or expensive AES games, so it's fine. But you do have a point and I agree... I would never feel comfortable playing a game as expensive as a US Metal Slug 1. If it wasn't as valuable, then it wouldn't be as big an issue. That's why I bought a Metal Slug 2 conversion, for example. It's a conversion, it has no collector value, so nobody will care how much I wear it out. I wanted a Metal Slug for AES, 2 is my favorite. 1 is cheaper and more plentiful but I don't like it as much.

Last edited: