Thinking about buying an AES/CMVS for the first time: Questions from a n00be

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Dear All,
I am thinking about buying an AES or CMVS, and I needed your opinions about my potential first purchase. So here it goes:

1) AES or CMVS?

2) Japanese or US? They sell a Japanese AES with X3 games for $325.

http://www.videogamex.com/

Or should I buy from eBay instead?

3) RGB for me is a MUST (have all my others connected to my Sony PVM-L520"), and I hear the lower the serial number, the better chance of getting RGB out, is this correct?

4) Do you recommend Analogue
CMVS Slim?

http://www.analogueinteractive.com/why-cmvs

It already has RGB, and have taken care of other issues that I might run into if I get an AES/CMVS

5) What else should I look out for when I am buying this system?

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
1) Depends on your budget. If you are rich, go AES. If you aren't, go MVS.

2) Region really doesn't matter. All games contain the same code, so pick the artwork you like best. Hardware is region specific, but if you install a UniBIOS, you can play any region or console mode. Either way, Neo Geo is region free. The only differences are superficial like blood, language and booby bounce.

3) Every AES can be modified for optimal RGB. Every CMVS has the same RGB.

4) It's good, but I recommend the Omega CMVS, because it's high quality plastic. Not a fan of wood.

5) Don't buy everything you see for insane prices, you're only contributing to the problem of high prices. If you want to buy a game, watch the market and see what it sells for. Use a bit of patience and get your stuff cheaper.

Last edited:

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Many thanks! I will keep those points in mind.

OK, is this the website for Omega CMVS?
http://arcadeworks.net/hardware.html

The website seems a bit "unprofessional", is this a legit site?

I definitely like the look of their CMVS compared to the ash wood, however.

Last edited:

Bazza1000

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Go for a CMVS or consolized MVS just like a normal console and can play all the good games for a fraction of the price compared to AES carts, plus can get the multi-carts cheaply which is a good way to see which games you like the best and can look out for the originals.

Lan Di

War Room Troll
CMVS all the way. You will go broke or end up in severe debt with AES. I have an AES but I have only the very cheap games AES titles (Magicial Lord, Nam 75, Sengoku, etc). For example, if you want all the metal slugs on AES it will cost you approximately $8000~$10,000 if you get lucky. Hope that helps.

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
Dear All,
I am thinking about buying an AES or CMVS, and I needed your opinions about my potential first purchase. So here it goes:

1) AES or CMVS?
AES as a console is about as expensive as CMVS depending on the particular seller. AES consoles are more likely to be found bundled with games/controllers though.
2) Japanese or US?
Region does not matter at all as the Neo Geo is a region free platform. It's all about your specific wants that will determine price/look differences.
3) RGB for me is a MUST (have all my others connected to my Sony PVM-L520"), and I hear the lower the serial number, the better chance of getting RGB out, is this correct?
Look here http://nfggames.com/games/neorgb/. The short answer is yes, a lower serial number has better RGB, though at the deficit of Composite Video.
4) Do you recommend Analogue
CMVS Slim?

http://www.analogueinteractive.com/why-cmvs

It already has RGB, and have taken care of other issues that I might run into if I get an AES/CMVS
Analogue Interactive's Neo Geo console is an arcade Neo Geo board, specifically a MV-1C that has been professionally made into a CMVS. It as a result is more expensive, but you gain back the ability to talk with a company that can potentially troubleshoot any physical or component defects later on. I don't know their customer service policies. People who have them seem to really like them, but again, because of price, this is a niche within a niche within a niche. (Professional Re-release in Neo Geo in Retro Hardware)
5) What else should I look out for when I am buying this system?
Find the games you want to play rather than the games that are most popular. Watch Youtube videos on all the available titles for the Neo Geo to get a feel for what you want. The Neo Geo can be a very expensive hobby. Also, have fun. The 16-bit era is still revered for a good reason even though all the modern consoles have technology in them to power server farms full of Genesis games ;)

Teddy KGB

Капитан Борода
10 Year Member
Agreed about the wood. I mean, good wood craftsmanship in general looks great on anything but when it comes down to it, I wouldn't want it on a console. Don't get me wrong, they look great for what they are, but when you factor in the price and usability, wood just didn't do it for me either. Also, there can tend to be a bit of a lead time on these if you're wanting something ASAP.

Other than the Omega (which would be my choice) you can always hit up folks like Xian Xi. He's very reputable (along with his JNX website) and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg. He doesn't proactively market his building skills, but he does great work. Check it one of his builds here. http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?230414-I-received-today...&p=3504546&viewfull=1#post3504546

There is a pre-owned AI Walnut CMVSs on eBay but it's already at $500 with a ton of bids on it so I'm sure they'll be a bid frenzy on it towards the end. But yeah, definitely hit up XX and if you don't, don't pay an arm and a leg for one. :D

c0dehunter

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I see, many thanks for the comments! I am determined to go with Omega CMVS then. Now these are the quetions that I have:

1) Does Omega CMVS only come with the system? In other words, do I need to buy NEO GEO Arcade sticks (or the CD version, since I have heard Omega CMVS works with both) separately?

2) Does Omega CMVS feature the mv-1c board then?

3) The owner just contacted my via PM! I guess I am getting one then!

4) Any links for getting a controller? eBay maybe?

Thanks!

Last edited:

ELebron77

n00b
Many thanks! I will keep those points in mind.

OK, is this the website for Omega CMVS?
http://arcadeworks.net/hardware.html

The website seems a bit "unprofessional", is this a legit site?

I definitely like the look of their CMVS compared to the ash wood, however.

I felt the same way about the website at first, but still bought one about a month ago and I'm loving it. It's a great CMVS and well built.

ViolentStorm

Windjammers Wonder
I would go for the CMVS personally as you well know some AES games go for ridiculous amount's of money and not to mention aes games being either bootleg's or conversion's. But at the end of the day it is you who make's the decision.

Yagyu Jubei

Dodgeball Yakuza
If you go for the CMVS. Buy up rare carts as often as your budget allows. This holds true for collecting anything. Rare items always go up in price, seldom down. Common carts will always be available, like SamSho and Fatal Fury carts. You also have to stick to your guns on budget or you'll go broke quick. You may have to stalk the forums and/or Ebay for a while to get the cart(s) you want.

Rare carts, like Sengoku 2, Ninja Commando and high-demand carts, like Garou and Pulstar, get scooped up quick. There is little opportunity to haggle on price because there will usually be someone waiting in the wings to pay the seller's full price. Sometimes you just have to bite the bullet a pay a little more that you wanted for that hard-to-find cart.

The MVS scans website is invaluable to avoid buying a bootleg cart. Like the saying goes: If someone says it's "100% working", it's probably a boot. Look for "100% original", "authentic SNK boards", etc., in sale descriptions. Forum members are good about being up front about selling boots. On ebay, look for pictures of the actual boards, not just the cart. Don't be afraid to ask for additional pictures.

You can still buy good deals on Ebay, you just have to be smart and patient. I bought a SamSho 2 cart for $15 with free shipping a few weeks ago. It was a dirty cart but the label was crisp and perfect. A little elbow grease and I had essentially a new cart. Good luck on your new collection!

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
It's not awfully impossible to build one yourself, I promise... I build one with 0 skills.
The only real problem you face then is the "encasing" part, that's all :)

best of luck!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
You guys tend to make CMVS building look pretty easy. It's a long, tedious job. You have to wire up two controller ports, about 12 wires each. Sometimes an audio amp is required. Usually one also needs a video encoder. Drilling holes in a case can be hard as well. I'm doing the hard path, with a MV-1B and a hand built video encoder board. I must be a glutton for punishment haha. One of these days I'll add the finishing touches to my video encoder and find out it doesn't work, knowing my luck. But it all checks out with a multimeter...

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
Omega all the way. Best bang for your buck. You can use any Neo Geo controller.

chuckfu

n00b
I ordered an Omega last Saturday and it shipped on Monday. I can't wait to give it a try. The owner is very responsive to pm's on this board and to emails.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
1. CMVS unless you intend to be immediately frightened by the prices of AES games right after you buy your system and sell them and then get CMVS anyway.

2. Doesn't matter since you're getting CMVS.

3. Again, doesn't matter if you get CMVS.

4. It's gorgeous and well made, but expensive. Consider the Omega as an alternative, when they become available again.

5. You want a Universe Bios. I'm pretty sure both of the CMVS mentioned here come with it already. Also learn about how to spot / avoid bootleg games.

Edit: Oh yeah, I didn't even realize Xian Xi was making a CMVS regularly these days. That's also top-notch quality.

Last edited:

OMFG

The Portuguese Chop
15 Year Member
I second Xian Xi's work. He created this one for me:

omfcmvs1.jpg

omfcmvs2.jpg

omfcmvs3.jpg

omfcmvs4.jpg

Works like a charm, portable, lightweight, and a great design.

Last edited:

Samuray

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Wow....it's really fascinating that everyone seems to be tooting the CMVS horn here. No AES fans in this thread?:cool:

Yeah, sure -- CMVS is the much more sensible choice in regard to pricing, but having a steadily growing collection of AES carts on your shelf is a wonderful sight, as well. And when you've finally acquired a game that was either expensive or had you looking for a long time, it's quite spectecular and will make this game special to you forever.

Well, I think it comes down to one thing besides money: Are you in a hurry to get all the games, or do you want it to be a process, taking up years? If one is willing to take his time, I believe AES is more rewarding. Provided one is patient enough. :)

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Maybe, but who wants to wake up as an old man still looking for a $3,000 video game?
(especially when that same game is available for $60, today in the other format)

Wow....it's really fascinating that everyone seems to be tooting the CMVS horn here. No AES fans in this thread?:cool:

Yeah, sure -- CMVS is the much more sensible choice in regard to pricing, but having a steadily growing collection of AES carts on your shelf is a wonderful sight, as well. And when you've finally acquired a game that was either expensive or had you looking for a long time, it's quite spectecular and will make this game special to you forever.

Well, I think it comes down to one thing besides money: Are you in a hurry to get all the games, or do you want it to be a process, taking up years? If one is willing to take his time, I believe AES is more rewarding. Provided one is patient enough. :)

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Home system and cab here. Both of which combined is still cheaper than a cmvs these days.