Edging over to the AES side...

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
...I've been trying to get a hold of Magician Lord for almost 2 years now. Classicsource has the game for like dirt cheap, with and without the box. They also have Nam 1975 which I'd like at a reasonable price (the sharpee, if it is sharpee can come off, I've done it before on manuals/labels). However, I'm nervous...

I'm actually a little hesitant, because I see this as another "hole" to fall into regarding money, when I should be saving for my wedding lol... I fell into SNES prototype collecting and UK NGPC release collecting as well, which start off cheap, but ramp up pretty quickly. I have a KOF 99 AES CIB in my room, which I picked up at a swap meet almost 4 years ago, which actually brought me here. I lurked around here until about a year ago, when I started doing my CMVS.

Any NEO GEO pits you see yourself falling to? NGX volume collections for example?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Honestly, if you just want commons, it seems AES is getting cheaper than MVS, but if youre going for rares? Stick with MVS.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I started out in AES, got out and stayed with CD/MVS, and went back. The majority of my home cart collection are early titles like Magician Lord and Nam that are simply cheaper on the home system, and I'm fine with that.

I'd also be interested to hear if you get the sharpie off the case/cart. I've been a little too chicken to try, although I have had good results removing sharpie from SNES carts before.

Last edited:

Bonga7

Zero's Secretary
I started out in AES, got out and stayed with CD/MVS, and went back. The majority of my home cart collection are early titles like Magician Lord and Nam that are simply cheaper on the home system, and I'm fine with that.

I'd also be interested to hear if you get the sharpie off the case/cart. I've been a little too chicken to try, although I have had good results removing sharpie from SNES carts before.

I've been able to remove the sharpie marks off my Nam cart, but the case is a different story. Better off buying a replacement case if you don't want the sharpie marks on it. BTW, I used goo gone for the cart.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Excuse the ignorance.. but what's a sharpee?

20110318_dogs.jpg

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
You might be able to remove or lighten the sharpie from the cart label. The marks on the vinyl will only lighten (do you prefer dark black or translucent yellow?), or you can swap out the case entirely. The manual is best left as-is.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I thought I avoided pits by going the neo cd route...then I realized that there were still a number of games I wanted that weren't on cd, so I bought an AES and converter so I could get both AES and MVS games. I wasn't interested in the CMVS route. There are still only a couple of games I am seeking across the 3 formats. Shar Peis seem to have more folds and wrinkles than a pug. :eek_2:

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
When I joined this forum I never even knew Neo Geo games were still being made, it rekindled my interest and I wanted the 2 last blade games and was going to get an AES again, when I saw the price of these 2 games compared to their MVS counterparts, I decided it would be better to get a supergun as the money saved from those 2 games alone could get me a few more MVS games.

Never ever wanted to go back to the CD as load times were crap plus not the full library.

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
I'm going to regress in my Neo collecting. Two kids around the house make it hard enough already. From now on I'm only going to get NES and Mega Drive SNK ports.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I collect both AES and MVS but I'm not an AEShole. I wait for deals on AES games then buy them, if I need to play the game then I get it on MVS since my supergun is connected to the PVM.

NEO G-TRON

Marked Wolf
I joined this forum site many o years ago all to learn that the Neo Geo Aes console that I had only heard of as a kid was some what affordable, but when I saw some of what the more popular games were going for it kinda shattered my dreams of having a large collection of games for it ... I went ahead and bought one anyways and over the years I purchased a few games for it .. I'm mostly into 2d fighters such as The King Of Fighter series and the Samurai Showdown series .. Those particular games in the Japanese versions are kinda affordable, so that's what I collect for the Aes system .. After I got my feet a little wet in this Neo Geo world I became more and more interested in buying an MVS Big Red cabinet for the obvious reason at the time they were far more affordable to collect for .. So I did and sure enough I ended up with a decent Neo Geo collection overall .. That was some 7 years ago .. I got out of the scene for a few years back as times became very difficult for me economically in my personal life but I never sold my games and held on to them for a better time in life .. That's long changed and I'm back in affect collecting and playing the hell out of my Neo Geo games .. It's kinda shitty though now as I have seen in the past year MVS tittles going up in price and some Aes titles dropping in value .. I'll probably continue collecting for both but will definitely be buying more Aes titles simply because I'd rather pay a little more money at times to get something in kick ass condition then buy a busted up looking cart because it's in high demand right now ...

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Surprisingly, due to starting out with AES collecting in '99 and being patient over the years... I pretty much have all the AES (40) carts I want. Only games I can think of that I would need an MVS for is the obvious games like: Metal Slug 1, 2, X, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Kizuna, Shocktroopers 2 (I have a ST1 conversion, lol), Waku Waku 7 and maybe a few others. I am mostly happy with already owning all the KOFs from 94-2000, Last Blade 1 and 2, all Fatal Fury's including MoTW, AOF 1-3, and SS 1-4. Only AES games I think I will buy are a few more common/lower priced carts like World Heroes 1 and 2, Last Resort, Baseball Stars 2, and Robo Army. I am sure there are others, but that is mostly it.

It really helped that I bought most of my AES carts from 2000-2003.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Nice anyone know anyone selling a console?

or a memory card at least?

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I went into the Neo Geo with two goals. One, obtain stuff cheaply (within reason). Two, experience all the Neo Geo has to offer. Based on that, I picked up both AES and MVS hardware. With both, I can pick and choose the cheaper of the two formats.

VidyaGamez

Crossed Swords Squire
Ive just recently started on Arcade MVS, and the price difference is pretty drastic between AES and MVS from what I have seen. I wanted to start out with MVS because I knew it was cheaper than AES, but that is just me.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
haha, yup I'm with ya.

I just want a copy of nam and magician lord without killing the bank.

Sunsoft

Zero's Secretary
why would someone censor a females leg? that's stuff we see every day, it's not like she's got her legs spread with her vagina exposed. I guess they should place a gun over the top