Sega Genesis rainbow colors

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Anything that should be white has a rainbow effect. I've seen this before, but it has started to bother me now.

Using a Genesis model 2 with composite out. Any known fixes for this?

genesiscolors_zps252bc796.jpg

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
You'll have to upgrade your video output to s-video or better. The aes suffers from the same rainbow effect on composite out.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
The mod for svideo looks ridiculous. I'm thinking it might be easier to internally install an encoder and wire the rgb into it and draw svideo from that.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The mod for svideo looks ridiculous. I'm thinking it might be easier to internally install an encoder and wire the rgb into it and draw svideo from that.

Unless you're taking your mod lessons from Drakon, the s-video mod is pretty simple. Only 4 parts are required. You'll need to have a gen2 that has a sony encoder in it. The samsung ones don't have any place to tap the s-video signals. Any model 1 system is a perfect candidate for s-video since they all have sony encoders.

Murray

Akari's Big Brother
Alternately, if you don't want to mod anything, grab a 32X. Those things seriously clean up the composite output of a Genesis, even if you never plan to play a 32X game on it.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Alternately, if you don't want to mod anything, grab a 32X. Those things seriously clean up the composite output of a Genesis, even if you never plan to play a 32X game on it.

Oh for real? I was going to grab one of those anyway. Will give it a go before I open up the genesis.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yup. The 32X takes the raw RGB signal from the Genesis and puts it through it's own encoder, which has superior composite compared to many earlier models of the Genesis.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's a lot better but it's still composite.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
If you can't find a Model 2 Genesis with a Sony CXA1645 encoder, or that Fujitsu encoder, you can in fact replace the samsung encoder with a better one. You have to be skilled with delicate surface mount work though, it's easy to damage the PCB. Just use a Sony CXA2075, it's virtually a drop in replacement for the KA2195D. A few components are needed, along with a few parts for the S-Video, but it's actually pretty easy.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What's the best combo to get component out of the 32X? Genesis 2 SCART cable to one of those SCART to YUV converters?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yes, sir. The model 2 rgb cable is handy if you have multiple Genesis systems. If you have the model 1 AV adapter cable that comes with the 32x you can use the model 2 rgb cable with almost any model genesis. It won't pass through sound on a model 1, but you should be using the headphone jack or Sega CD for that anyway.

masamuneGTO

My Bro Aint HeavyHe's just not Wortha Christmas pr
I have a model 2 that I bought, which was region and s-video modded. Even using the S-video I get that rainbow action. Guess I should open the console up and see if it is just a bad wiring job.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Yeah I'm just gonna throw a 32x on there and see how it does. Was going to complete a 32x collection anyway so I'll see how it does. I'm perfectly fine with composite on like NES, SNES, Genesis, even GC. When it comes to anything else, I gotta have s-video bare minimum.

I can say that S-video through a CMVS cheap ass Wei Ya $30 encoder looks as good if not better on my 36" JVC CRT than it does on my brand new Makvision trimode in the cab.

As far as Saturn goes, it looks really good on composite. I made an S-video cable for it and that did sharpen it up a great deal but then the Saturn had the rainbow effect on s-video so I went back to composite.

Last edited:

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
Yeah I'm just gonna throw a 32x on there and see how it does. Was going to complete a 32x collection anyway so I'll see how it does. I'm perfectly fine with composite on like NES, SNES, Genesis, even GC. When it comes to anything else, I gotta have s-video bare minimum.

I can say that S-video through a CMVS cheap ass Wei Ya $30 encoder looks as good if not better on my 36" JVC CRT than it does on my brand new Makvision trimode in the cab.

As far as Saturn goes, it looks really good on composite. I made an S-video cable for it and that did sharpen it up a great deal but then the Saturn had the rainbow effect on s-video so I went back to composite.

You really should invest in a scart to YUV converter Mail, no rainbows and pic quality that will make you cry. No joke.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member

You might have a cheap cable for the Saturn, some of them convert composite to S-video which gives those rainbow effects.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Nah this was a cable I made myself where I directly tapped chroma and luma.

Last edited: