Lithium batteries...

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I went thru 5 sub batteries already between 3 Neo Geo Pockets. Guess either I played too
much, or the battery shelf life just went out. Did you guy's lithium battery went out as well?

Thankfully, I just won 10 new Sony CR2032 Lithium batteries for under $9 incl. Shipping on ebay. If anyone needs extra batteries, you can check there, under DreamCast VMU batteries or something like that. I think they still have some left. You can probably get it even cheaper...

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
I play my Neo Pocket at least once every 2-3 days and I have had it since February and still haven't had to change the batteries. I love that little thing.

Gambit

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Sorry I meant the Lithium battery, I have changed the regular batteries only once.

Eclipse

Crossed Swords Squire
The lithium battery isn't used to power the NGPC. It's primarily used to store your system settings. However, I think it can also be used to temporarily hold a save game, like Card Fighters' ability to save your position in the game temporarily if you lose power to your NGPC.

Dolphin

Custom User Title,
I haven't had any problems with my NGPC's lithium (CR2032s) battery dying prematurely, but I have had a couple of DC VMUs run down their lithium batteries a little too quickly for comfort.

I actually use AA size "photo" lithium batteries to power my NGPC and GameBoy Color handhelds. They're quite a bit more expensive, but they do last longer. It's sort of difficult to get ahold of AA lithium batteries since stores often keep them behind the counter. The reason for this is because the AA size lithium batteries are favored by dope fiends who remove the lithium from the batteries to make homebrew crank.
mad.gif

G

gokusama26

If you play a game like Faselei, or Cardfighters Clash, and suspend the game while playing, then turn it off, then start off right back where you stopped, that will wear down the battery. The reason a "temp save" goes away when you pull the cart is because the backup battery is keeping power to the game, making the the game think it is on. Basically like a pause, but without the screen. It is a big drain on the battery.

O

Omega-NEO

I hate Lithium batteries... the C2032 or whatever they are called... the little silver discs... it takes 2 of 'em to power my Sega Dreamcast VMU... I have two VMU's, one for each controller I own... and I have had to go through quite a few of those little batteries... it really pisses me off. They're not cheap either... the guy at my Radio Shack said they are meant to last for a year. I laughed and said mine had lasted 30 hours, give or take 2-3... he said I bet you won't be back for more for at least 3 months. He saw me 3 weeks later and I was back for more. Of course they weren't to replace the ones I had gotten before... they were for my 2nd VMU system but I didn't tell him that.

G

gokusama26

Omega-Neo, Search eBay for "CR2032" you can usually find about 20-25 auctions for 20-30 of those batteries for about $10.00.

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
I think what gokusama26 said about the suspending of games makes alot of sense.
Since I never suspended gameplay in Faselei and Cardfighters for more than a sitting, I fortunately didn't have to change my batteries yet; and I had the NGPC for about a year now.

The DC vmu's are a different story. I have 2, like Omega-NEO, and had to replace the batteries a total of 3 times. After the first replacement I was told that having the VMU's in the controllers while being plugged to the console (turned off) drains them. They don't get drained when the system is on. Ever since then I take out the VMU's after I'm done with the DC. I even make sure they're turned off. I also don't play the VMU games. Nonetheless the batteries die. What is going on here? I decided not to replace the batteries, because the saves are still in memory. But playing games on the VMU (to rack up points for Tech Romancer, etc.) isn't an option anymore.

It would be helpful for all of us if someone new the answer as to why the VMU's are dying.

ZERO.X

Quiz Detective
What gokusama said sounds logical, and SNK hasn't said different (well, when there still was a SNK....)

About the VMU: The batteries run out no matter what. It runs out faster of course when it's on. It runs the second fastest when in a powered DC. But it still runs when it is off and not in a DC. What you should do is either keep that plastic thing that comes with the VMU and place it back inside of it after you have initiated the VMU the first time (I've never done this, but I heard it from somewhere), or you can just take out the batteries and put them in when there is a game you want to play (what I do).

BakuretsuMutekiSid

Zero's Tailor
What a pain in the ass these VMU's are!!!
I play DC too often. So I'll not replace them for now.

Thanks for the tip Zero.x

JRock917

, ,
Those VMS's on DC always run out of juice; its best just to let them power up with the system. It seems like the NGPC uses less battery power than say Game Boy Color, is this true?

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Yeah, its true,
approx 30-40 hrs on NGPC (depending on battery type) Compared with approx 15-20 on GBC (depending on battery type)
Amazing when you compare the spec's of the two machines!

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I have had my NGPC for a year and a half, and have as yet to need a replacement lithium battery. I play it (and save my games) religiously, but the lithium battery is the same one that came in the box with it.

-BioMotor_Unitron

D

DigiPunk

Wow! I thought the CR232s on the NGPC was to save your system settings, characters in MoTM, etc. I use the Nyko Neo Pocket Worm light. It's a cool little device that functions as a power pack and a worm light in one. It's nice cuz your link cable isn't taken up by the worm light (Not that any of us know anyone in proximity to play games on a NGPC with).

As far as DC batteries go, the first ones had a lot of problems. I think the batteries are just for the VMU screen - not the card itself. Part of the battery drain problem on the first gen of VMUs has to do with the fact that they don't turn off automatically like the new ones do. You have to remember to take the VMU out and turn it off - very easy to forget. The new colored ones are alot better they don't seem to run out of juice so quick, and they turn off when you turn off the system.

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
I think unlocked characters for SNK VS. CAPCOM are recalled via FLASH ROM. If I put my Match Of The Millenium cart into someone else's NGPC, it still has all the same characters unlocked.

-BioMotor_Unitron

Andy Is A Bastard

A Bastard, Andy Is,
I have also purchased a Nyko power worm light and it deserves graet praise!( although the battery pack is only an 8-hour charge) I have also experienced a power loss in my NGPC's Lithium battery, but that could be because I bought it used.

------------------
How does it feel to be well done?...but I bet you taste terrible
end2.gif