Gauging Interest, MV1C

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
How would the community feel about a newly designed MV1C?

They are becoming very scarce compared to 3 years ago and a lot of the ones floating around have some major issues and a lot of them are corroded and are ticking time bombs.

The Neo-YSA2 IC is a big problem, it handles audio as well as joystick inputs. It's happening more and more with this IC. All the other ones I've never had problems with or heard of problems with them either. Instead of trying to create a replacement IC, why not just build a better mobo? The new mobo would support a memory card, trackball, mahjong controller blah blah, maybe even have a better solder mask to help prevent corrosion even better than the original and last but not least as MKL said gold contacts for the connector.

Would the community back a newly designed MV1C that would support a memory card and meet or exceed the previous model? It would have the same footprint most likely.

Discuss.

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
Would it be possible to design a new mobo that functions exactly like the original? If so, I think it would be amazing. Who has the chops to do such a thing?

jesesfbi

Ninja Combat Warrior
this sounds like a cool idea and would seem to make for a better CMVS

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
If you're going to design a new mobo, put a few "console headers headers" on the board to make modding easy.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I wouldn't pay more than $150, just because so many boards are still present in the "Wild".

What's your best estimate for cost? I'm assuming between $200-300, would you do a kickstarter campaign?

chipperkwah

Armored Scrum Object
I wouldn't pay more than $150, just because so many boards are still present in the "Wild".

What's your best estimate for cost? I'm assuming between $200-300, would you do a kickstarter campaign?

I wonder if there would be issues with SNK? Assuming that the project progressed to kickstarter I'm sure there would be a decent amount of press on the various game/tech sites.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sounds like perhaps a good kickstarter project IF you already have a working design in mind.

Couple things I wouldn't mind seeing:

Stereo Line level output via a header (or a pair of RCAs) - No hacking/modding required

Or perhaps better yet, a header for all the RGB and controls - Rather than grabbing them off the jamma edge or soldering to the bottom of the pcb, just put an easy to access header on top the board. Duplicate stereo line level audio, RGB and controls. One stop shop for wiring up a consolized board.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I thought about the licensing issue too, I don't know what Tommy (blaze, etc.) has in terms of rights... I mean they can't talk much, they stole emulator code. lol.

master_d

n00b
I wouldn't mind seeing the board made much smaller than the MV1C so that it could be made into a hand held with a cartridge slot and become what the NGX could have been.

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
What we need is an all in one system that supports MVS and Home. I would really like to see a new system built from FPGA. Something similar to Minimig or the 1ChipMSX. Neo on a chip with cart ports. I have no idea which method would be easier, I would assume the FPGA option.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I don't think it's possible to throw everything in the kitchen sink and make everyone happy. A portable-capable Neo Geo PCB would have to be literally just an FPGA and a cartridge slot, with some places to solder the controller, video and audio connections. A Neo Geo PCB with support for everything, including both cart formats would probably not sell well to the current CMVS shell makers.

I'm in favor of a new MV-1C replacement.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Make an MV2C.

"2" for two slots: 1 for AES and one for MVS.

And add an SCART header.

Last edited:

mikey

Marked Wolf
This a sweet idea. I'd also be happy with just a straight up MV-1C replacement

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
A Neo Geo PCB with support for everything, including both cart formats would probably not sell well to the current CMVS shell makers.

A project like this is going to take years. I think the CMVS guys will be just fine and making money up until then.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
If both board and components are redesigned, couldn't it cause compatibility issues, or otherwise alter the way the software runs?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
A project like this is going to take years. I think the CMVS guys will be just fine and making money up until then.

Would they be fine with having new cases made to support two cartridge slots? I doubt it.

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
If both board and components are redesigned, couldn't it cause compatibility issues, or otherwise alter the way the software runs?

I see where you're coming from, but not quite, depending on how the "emulation", for the lack of a better term is done through chips

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Emulation is a completely incorrect word to use. Emulation is done purely in software. A clone MVS board could be made to behave exactly (or near exact) like the reference board, just depends how much money and work the clone developer wants to dump into it. Clones of the Famicom and Genesis, at least the discrete and on-a-chip varieties, behave virtually the same as their references. Neo Geo is no different. Only problem is supporting the giant cartridge slot.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
...Clones of the Famicom and Genesis, at least the discrete and on-a-chip varieties, behave virtually the same as their references...
That's what concerned me though, since from what I've seen/heard the clone systems have some glitches & other issues making all the software run as expected.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
I would like to see a repro as close to the original hardware as can be, if possible. Pls.