Mahjong controller is not recognized

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Have you tried testing the circuit on a NeoCD or Home system?

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi NTM,

Thank you.
No, I don't. I'll need to take a cable from one of my neocd controller and to test it in my AES.

Saludos

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Hi NTM,

Thank you.
No, I don't. I'll need to take a cable from one of my neocd controller and to test it in my AES.

Saludos

If you pull a NeoCD pad or stick, make sure it has all the pins. If I remember correctly, one of them doesn't use all the pins on the DB15. You can easily tell of you look at the female connector. One or two of the holes will be larger than than the others and wont include a socket for the pin.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi Brian,

If you pull a NeoCD pad or stick, make sure it has all the pins. If I remember correctly, one of them doesn't use all the pins on the DB15. You can easily tell of you look at the female connector. One or two of the holes will be larger than than the others and wont include a socket for the pin.

Is it needed the 15 pins? because according to the wiki only 13 are wired, two are free, and in this way I wired the above controller.

Saludos

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Yeah 4 and 8 aren't needed. I don't remember what pins on the NeoCD pad are missing, just look before you hack a pad. It could be other pins that normally aren't connected to regular sticks.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Thanks Brian for the suggestions, I'll do it.

Saludos

Juan

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Found my CD pad. If you look, pin 2 and 10 are missing, and you need those for a jong controller.
1GuCubc.jpg

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
And in my memory you could not use your Mahjong pad in Final Romance 2

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

A couple of dumb questions, could be the problem that you need a mahjong game inserted for the reconognition? (with the FR2 doesn't work) or could be the problem that you need an actual Japanese bios? (I've use original bios and unibios 2.3 y 3.0) or both

Saludos

Last edited:

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
And in my memory you could not use your Mahjong pad in Final Romance 2

Actually I was talking about Quest of Jongmaster. I'm pretty sure it works for that.

Hi,

A couple of dumb questions, could be the problem that you need a mahjong game inserted for the reconognition? (with the FR2 doesn't work) or could be the problem that you need an actual Japanese bios? (I've use original bios and unibios 2.3 y 3.0) or both

Saludos

The main reason I suggested trying it on a CD system is that you probably dont have it modded and it contains an original bios. Another member, distropia, had the same problem when using a Unibios and testing his Jong board. He ended up using a stock SNK bios and it worked just fine. I dont know what version though. Just try a stock bios and see how it works then. If that doesnt work, try the CD method with Jongmaster. If it doesnt work on that, then something may be off.

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Thank you for the answers, I'll ask to distropia about what bios version he used. So, doesn't the unibios implement the mahjong controls?

Saludos

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
So, doesn't the unibios implement the mahjong controls?

Honestly, I have no idea. I've had the original jong board since before unibios was invented and have only used it on stock systems since.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi

Honestly, I have no idea. I've had the original jong board since before unibios was invented and have only used it on stock systems since.

Ok, maybe Razoola know the response, I'll ask him.

Saludos

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The majong joystick code is in the unibios (its in all bios) and as mentioned you need DIP3 on. It is the same mahjong code as the original bios but I have never tested it. It should work however.

Raz

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Hi all. I've tested an original Mahjong controller in an AES with Unibios 3.0 and 3.1 and it does NOT work. With stock bios it DOES work.
In MVS I have no idea.
Here goes the pinout:

pin1: Common gnd to Select and Start
pin2: Common gnd to H I J K L M N
pin3: Common gnd to PON CHI KAN RICHI PON, plus Select. This pin must be shorted with pin9 in order to tell the neo have a Mahjong controller.
pin4: not used
pin5: M and F
pin6: K RON D
pin7: I CHI B
Pin8: not used
pin9: (shorted with pin3)
pin10: Common to A B C D E F G
pin11: Start
pin12: G and N
pin13: E RICHI L
Pin14: C KAN J
pin15: A PON H

Hope it helps and thanks again to NTM for his help on this topic.

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi,

Thanks Raz for the clarifications.

@distropia
Thanks mate for the pinout, it is the same that the neodev wiki and I wired the controller in this way.
Only one question, do you need the game inserted in the AES/mvs for the recognition?? Because as I explained above I tested the original bios as well but without result.

Saludos

Last edited:

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi mates,

Goods news, the controller is recognized even with the unibios 3.0 and works 100% in my mvs system, I cannot test it in an AES because I don't have the game cart. The fault was not use a quest of jong master game, I made one and the controller works.
Now, I'll put it in a nice enclosure.

Thank you indeed to every body

Saludos

Last edited:

kuk

Benimaru's Hairdresser
Yeah Mahjong crontroller work with Mahjong Kyoretsuden and yanshin Densetsu: Quest of Jongmaster in neogeo CD

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi dudes,

Hi all. I've tested an original Mahjong controller in an AES with Unibios 3.0 and 3.1 and it does NOT work. With stock bios it DOES work.
In MVS I have no idea.

This is only to confirm that distropia said, the controller doesn't work in AES with Unibios 3.0 and works well with the original bios. However, in mvs works well with Unibios but in this case the Dip 3 on do that it works.

Anybody knows how to activate inputs 1 to 3 in AES control ports??

Thanks again to everybody.

Saludos

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Glad you guys were able to narrow it down to what the problem is, now we just need a fix from Raz.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The next unibios will support the controller in on AES.

fremen

Hardened Shock Trooper
Hi mates,

XX thank you, in my particular case I'm only a beta tester, the great job was done by the people who shared the information on the neo wiki, thank you guys.

Thank you Raz to take into account this fix in the next version of your Unibios.

Saludos