Zed Blade no sound

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Hey folks, got a Zed Blade cart in, it has no sound.

As a matter of fact, it will silence the entire machine, all 4 slots, and even silence it in service mode.

I have scrubbed the contacts with an eraser and have cleaned with alcohol. Cart is remarkably clean. Have tried in two different machines, in each slot on both machines.

I've dealt with difficult carts before but this one I just cannot get any sound out of.

Having the cart open, I did notice what appears to be some trace repair here on the back of the CHA256 board. The scans do not show any such wiring. I'm wondering if this is the culprit possibly?

zedb1.jpg

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Hey folks, got a Zed Blade cart in, it has no sound.

As a matter of fact, it will silence the entire machine, all 4 slots, and even silence it in service mode.

I have scrubbed the contacts with an eraser and have cleaned with alcohol. Cart is remarkably clean. Have tried in two different machines, in each slot on both machines.

I've dealt with difficult carts before but this one I just cannot get any sound out of.

Having the cart open, I did notice what appears to be some trace repair here on the back of the CHA256 board. The scans do not show any such wiring. I'm wondering if this is the culprit possibly?

zedb1.jpg

I've had the games crash out sound before, but usually it was due to an incompatibility with other carts in the cabinet. For instance, Metal Slug crashes my sound out if it's in a multi-slot with King of Fighters 2001 after a single cycle of each games attracts. I've also had things not seated correctly cause sound problems, but usually that's scratchy sound. I've never had a game just crash out sound when inserted into a cabinet... Though I believe it's possible. You may want to check the traces near that spot. If those two failed its possible others were corroded/damaged as well, but still working OK before. A quick continuity check should help see if everything else is working around there.

Definitely sucks, though. Zed Blade with no sound is... like 1/3 of the game. ;)

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Yeah was tried in both cabs with no games in them.

I did check continuity. Between the chip those wires run into there's a surface mount IC on the other side if you follow the traces. There was no continuity. So, I wired it into the legs of the chip (which probably ruined my chances to return this). No sound still :/

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Yeah was tried in both cabs with no games in them.

I did check continuity. Between the chip those wires run into there's a surface mount IC on the other side if you follow the traces. There was no continuity. So, I wired it into the legs of the chip (which probably ruined my chances to return this). No sound still :/

Contact member Xian Xi. He should be able to help you out. He's repaired a couple of my games already that needed some TLC. I'm sure he can get it working again.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Yeah gonna drop him a line. Gonna see if he has any insight.

I do have a spare CHA256 board so I was playing with the idea of moving the chips to the other board.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
This issue is all to do with access to the M1 ROM and possibly NEO-ZMC too. That trace repair happens to be right under the M1 so that area definitely needs some checking out. None of the other ROMs play into this, just the M1.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Ok guys, check this out...

I moved all of the chips onto a spare CHA256 board I have. Guess what, glorious sound!

But, I'm having graphical glitches. Truth be told I had graphical glitches from the start but just thought it was maybe the contacts or something so I just focused on the sound. This is what it looks like;

zed4.jpg

zed3.jpg

So, I decided to go have a look at the other board and check for cold or broken solder joints.
Right under the V2 chip, this is what I found;

zed2.jpg

That pin on the end is not connected. There isn't even a metal pad to solder it to. Could this be the culprit? Should I scratch the trace coming off of it and solder it in to that trace?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Are those the components marked J and R? I notice that they are different on the different boards.

What should I do, cut the existing ones where they should be open and bridge the open ones?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
On the 256 you should have these closed:

J2, J3, J7, J8, R1, R2, R3 and R4.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Double checked the jumpers, they are all correct. Inspected my solder work, looks fine but I reflowed it anyway. No luck. Still have vertical lines in every screen.

Went ahead and washed boards. Not sure this one is going to live again :/

So pissed, been waiting so long to play this game.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the spare 256 had any graphic problems before then I'd transfer the roms back to the original board and fix the M1 wiring. The wiring doesn't look solid on it which might be causing your audio issue.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
yeah, before I moved it over I redid the wiring so that it had continuity with the ZMC chip. Thinking if I move them back it will be the same issue.

Dunno, guess I need another zed blade.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
yeah, before I moved it over I redid the wiring so that it had continuity with the ZMC chip. Thinking if I move them back it will be the same issue.

Dunno, guess I need another zed blade.

Send me the boards and I'll check it out.

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Last time I saw white vertical lines going through all the screens, I had a bad P1 Rom on the PROG board. It was an IRON CLAD cart. Replaced the rom and the problem went away. So, I'm thinking you may have a bad rom somewhere (or another cut trace to a rom).

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Ok guys, check this out... ...

zed2.jpg

That pin on the end is not connected. There isn't even a metal pad to solder it to. Could this be the culprit? Should I scratch the trace coming off of it and solder it in to that trace?

No. That's not the problem. That Pin/Pad goes to a trace with that has a machine hole in it. (4th hole from the left.) So, the trace has been factory cut. A missing solder pad will do anything. Here is a pic of a different game (SS) with the same PROG board.

768px-Samurai_shodown_set1_b1_back.jpg