Makvision Monitor Turning on and Off?

Terry6242

n00b
So I bought one of those 27/29 Makvision Monitors (http://na.suzohapp.com/monitors/49271500.htm) a few months ago. It was sitting on my desk for about 2 weeks before I got an arcade cab to put it into, during which time I tested it out with various games and it worked. When the cab came I put it in there and hooked it up to Capcom vs SNK 2 on the Naomi (which had been working on it the prior two weeks) and it made a noise like it was turning off (the noise any CRT tv makes when it turns off) and it would not turn back on. I looked around the internet and figured it blew a transformer or something and was resigned to the fact that I would probably have to buy a replacement when I got the money.

Since then (another two weeks) I have been using a normal CRT TV in the cab until I figure out the monitor problem. I just plugged in the Makvision for kicks and all of a sudden it works perfect again. I plug it in and test various games and it works fine. I play for about an hour and right as I am about to test it with CvS 2 it makes the click and goes dead again. What is going on? Do I need a new monitor?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
First thing I would check is your PSU's AC line to see that it's putting out the proper voltage. Also, does your model require an isolation transformer and if so, are you using one?

After that, you need to check voltages on the board to see if it's going into high voltage shutdown. You should measure the HOT which I believe should be about 130v. Higher than that and you may have a problem.

Since you got the monitor new, did you get the documentation? When I got mine, it came with spare components such as resistors and caps that were to be replaced if you experienced an issue listed in the documentation. It gave a troubleshooting guide and fixes for specific component replacements on the chassis. Mine was the 25" though and I do believe there are some chassis differences. If you aren't able to identify the issue you may consider returning it. I have found it VERY difficult to find people on the web that know about these systems. For example, mine had a vertical roll that I could not correct. I did by dumb luck find that if I put a jumper from the ground to sync line that it would work, but nobody (and I asked everywhere) even knew about it.

Terry6242

n00b
It doesn't need an isolation transformer. It has it's own power plug that goes straight into the wall which seems like it would make it really hard for it to have power supply issues. The board doesn't appear hot. I got the documentation, and I'll check it. I wish I could return it, but I got it off of ebay and it isn't under warranty. The fact that it turned back on at least gave me a little hope though.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Turning back on but shutting off is not good. This was the issue with a friend of mine that resulted in chassis replacement after every thing else we tried failed.

Since you're going to the wall, I'd start by trying another socket. Does your PSU have an outlet at the back of it (usually a service outlet) that you can plug into instead? That's the easiest thing to try. If not, try another outlet just to rule that out. If the machine stays on, I'd let it run over night. If it's still on the next morning, you're probably good. If it shuts down again however, remove the RGB line to the chassis and power it back on. Leave it running. If it doesn't turn off, there is something bad with the chassis.

You got it off of ebay, was it new, used, or refurbished? If it was not new, you might need to adjust the shutdown pot and I cannot tell you where it is on that chassis.

Last edited:

Terry6242

n00b
Hmm,

So I looked back there and one of the transformers (I think they're transformers? The cylinders sticking out?) next to the power plug was bent down and almost touching the PCB. I set it back upright and now it is turning on again. Could this have been it? I'm hesitant to lift it up and put it back into the cabinet. I'll keep testing it out and see if it stays consistent. Could this have been it tho?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Really without a picture or proper terminology I have no idea what you're referring to. But, if you see what could have been a possible short and corrected it, then sure, try it out again and see what happens.

edit; thinking about it, I think you're referring to one of the pots.

If that's it, that is not the problem. Those will not make the screen turn off suddenly.

Last edited:

Asure

Captain Dick,
Warning

Most modern monitors have protection circuits to stop x-ray leakage from the back of the monitor, this may be kicking in for the wrong/right reason.

The cylinders you mean, those are called capacitors, it's unlikely they could cause a short, the outside of the capacitor is coated in paint,plastic etc.

Anyway, monitors that turn off do so for a reason, and that is to protect further damage, or protect you :)

Terry6242

n00b
Could the close proximity to the NAOMI or the NAOMI power supply be it? Both of the times it has turned off it has been near those. I've also been running it through one of these. Should I not use it?

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
The PSU being close to it is not it.

How are you running it through a CGA to VGA converter? You have a 27" CRT monitor installed right? What's the point of the converter? You never mentioned using anything VGA.

In any case, I gave you some diagnostic suggestions to try and you haven't done that so I'll just leave this for someone else.

Last edited:

Terry6242

n00b
The new makvisions are VGA and have to be converted. I go straight through VGA for Naomi but everything else has to be converted.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
Simply not true.

If you're referring to the 15 pin dsub input as seen here
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG04AWNeZAc
go to 4:16

that is not a CGA converter, it merely rungs the RGB lines to pinout on the 15 pin dsub. It is not changing resolution. You do not need a CGA to VGA converter for a Makvision, I know because I'm running CGA on mine with no converter.

Make sure you're at 1k ohm on the remote board when running Naomi.

Last edited: