CPS2 keeps on restarting

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
So i just got a SF Zero 3 game I played it last night with no problems at all but i booted it up this afternoon & about the 2nd or 3rd round it would just restart from the beginning. Do you guys know what could be the problem?

None of my other CPS2 games has ever done this to me.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Go into the Service menu and run the memory test. If it passes, it's prob the A board.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
I've been playing X-men vs Street Fighter & Alpha 2 on this A board with no problems. But ill test it out with another A board.

Thanks

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Go into the Service menu and run the memory test. If it passes, it's prob the A board.

I hate the memory tests.

They alwyas tell me that my roms are all good (check sums ok) when they are really all bad. :rolleyes:

Only found it useful for finding stealth phoenix boards. ;)

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've been playing X-men vs Street Fighter & Alpha 2 on this A board with no problems. But ill test it out with another A board.

Thanks

The glorified IDE connectors on the B board and A board don't stand up to repeated switching in my opinion.

It only takes one of those connectors to get busted or bent for it to malfunction.

I recommend getting an A Board for every B Board and just keeping the game like that.

I would try putting something on top of the B Board to make the connection to the A Board tighter.

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
Also, check for bent/broken pins on your A board.

SSS

neo retired
Also verify voltage at the jamma edge while game is plugged in and running.

Might be worth while to open the cart and verify all roms are seated firmly. I had an xmen v sf that wasn't restarting, but had garbled character sprites. Some eproms weren't seated all the way.

scgon

Benimaru's Hairdresser
10 Year Member
yeah I would expect voltage, my Alpha 3 does something similar as well, but only in one of my cabs.

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Also, check for bent/broken pins on your A board.

Bent or broken pins and/or a loose connection between the a and b boards have accounted for the majority of problems I've experienced with CPS2 boards.

HDRchampion

10 Year Member
So i tried another mother board & it seems to be working fine...I did notice on Round 3 that the power was about to go out but did not & ran perfectly throughout...I put X-men vs Street Fighter on the other A board & runs perfectly...

So do CPS2 act funny towards different A boards?

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Each game access the custom "C" board graphics chip (located on the "A" board) a bit differently. Assuming your program roms are good; then, if either the chip is not working right, or the "B" board can't access the chip right: the baord resets.

I don't like the sound of: "... I did notice on Round 3 that the power was about to go out ...." Try your old "A" board again. See if it was just a hick-up or if the reboot problem is isolated to that one "A" board. If it is isolated to that one "A" board, then think about finding another "A" board that works fine with your "B" board(s).

Last edited:
I'm so glad I found this thread, I thought that resetting/rebooting issue would end up being much more serious ... Never imagined that those CPS2 clips were so important :)