CRT TV or CRT monitor? update found CRT TV for sale, is this good?

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
edit: see post 4 for a picture of a tv that I am thinking about buying for 25 euros

original message:

For Neo Geo use, which one would be better.

CRT TV such as Sony PVM and RGB scart
or
My CRT Monitor, "Nokia 21 xav" with modded GBS Scaler, Component YPBPR or RGB SCART cable to scaler, audio to amplifier and vga cable to monitor. (gbs scaler is now being modified to have RGB Scart input and audio output but also component input can be used)

I found something like monitor specs for the series which includes my monitor, here:
http://www.dvision7.hu/Nokia/Monitors/445xi/445xi_specs.html

Do you think I should look to get a CRT tv or should I feel like the CRT monitor would do a decent job at Neo Geo gaming?

I am not "bragging" about my crt monitor and the scaler that I should soon get. That is not the intention. I am honestly considering finding a Sony PVM and I want to find out what the differences between a CRT tv and a computer CRT monitor would be with regards to Neo Geo gaming. I have been using my monitor for gaming with a Dreamcast which has a vga box and also with an Amiga with indivision scan doubler/flicker fixer and for those the CRT is doing okay. But I am still waiting to get the actual modded GBS from a friend who is doing the modding. I am also waiting to get a consolized MVS sometime during november. (that wooden analogue cmvs thing in case you´re wondering and I´m getting both the rgb scart and component cables for it)

Any insight, is Sony PVM worth getting for my uses compared to the setup that I have and will soon have? My main concern is postage costs as I can´t find one in Finland.

Maybe it´s a matter of test and find out, but any technical insight?

Last edited:

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Sony PVM would rock the socks off of that GBS scaler and monitor solution.

I had one of those GBS boards and I honestly thought the picture quality was terrible with either a LCD or vga CRT compared to my 15khz rgb CRT.

Stick with a quality rgb CRT like a PVM or JVC broadcast monitor.

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
I have found a local seller who is selling a Sony Trinitron CRT tv. I am asking for more specific model information... but is there anything in the trinitron range of sony tvs that would be good for using with retro gaming? Should I go for it?

2533243589.jpg

Seller only provided this one picture. Maybe someone can recognize the model and tell if it is any good?

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Dude, get in the PVM club, we're giving away free membership and a slice of cake when you join at the moment. This scaler stuff does not do retro consoles justice imo.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
I have found a local seller who is selling a Sony Trinitron CRT tv. I am asking for more specific model information... but is there anything in the trinitron range of sony tvs that would be good for using with retro gaming? Should I go for it?

2533243589.jpg

Seller only provided this one picture. Maybe someone can recognize the model and tell if it is any good?

Since you are in Euro-land, I assume that Sony will have a Scart RGB input. Should have a really nice picture if that's the case.

A PVM would have a superior picture, though.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I've used the CSY-2100 RGB to Component converter, the Wei-Ya ACV-011 RGB to VGA converter and both while playable aren't comparable to a true RGB 15k image. That said you are in Europe, scart rgb inputs should be in abundance on CRT's in your area. scart rgb is actually pretty bloody good.

Last edited:

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Okay you are so unanimously recommending tv instead of monitor that I will go and try to haul this Trinitron tv to my room and I will get rid of my 42" lcd tv to make room for it :)

I haven´t used that lcd tv for any high definition stuff for a long time anyways so off to bedroom it goes. Doesn´t make any sense to wait for PVM since I´m unlikely to find one and also the trinitron tv is in same city where I am and its only 25 euros (32 us dollars). I think it makes sense to at least give it a shot. I can bin it if it doesn´t work :)

Last edited:

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
As far as consumer grade stuff goes, Trinitrons are (IMO) about as good as it gets for low rez stuff. They're heavy as hell, but worth it. :)

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
CRT is always going to give you a better low rez experience then LCD. I've never worked with SCART stuff, but I've seen some high quality RGB mods looking fantastic on CRT TVs. How was it compared to a real 15khz monitor? Well I don't believe the scanlines were fat enuf, it looked closer to 24khz image IMO. It totally blows LCD's away however.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I had a Loewe 29" CRT TV with scart rgb, it quite honestly looked pretty much spot on with any arcade tube. Keep in mind TV's are Grade A tubes and arcade monitors are Grade B. Though professional monitors like the PVM are going to be overall, better.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Okay you are so unanimously recommending tv instead of monitor that I will go and try to haul this Trinitron tv to my room and I will get rid of my 42" lcd tv to make room for it :)

I haven´t used that lcd tv for any high definition stuff for a long time anyways so off to bedroom it goes. Doesn´t make any sense to wait for PVM since I´m unlikely to find one and also the trinitron tv is in same city where I am and its only 25 euros (32 us dollars). I think it makes sense to at least give it a shot. I can bin it if it doesn´t work :)

Nothing wrong with a Trinitron tv but keep trying to find the PVM. There are a few big fuck off Grundigs going around too, i once seen one that was about 80 inch, huge! I would like to do some rgb gaming on one of those!

Jassin000

Frenzy Football Player
What size is that Sony tube? I've never messed around with chassis and flybacks before, but I read some people have installed a arcade monitor chassis on a similar sized TV tube... Sometimes the results are unusable/bad (poor geometry). Sometimes you end up with a cheap, nearly arcade perfect solution? Might be worth checking into if your not happy with the TV as is. Its surly a better option then to "bin" it.

P.S. Around here we PAY people (hazmat waste/e-waste) to take away our old CRT's, not the other way around. ;)

Mendel

Vanessa's Drinking Buddy
Okay, hauled it in. I should not carry something so heavy :) My back and my arms are now killing me. It must have been 60Kg and not designed to be carried.
Snes seems to like it, though I can´t quite capture the sharpness with my camera. (The snes is a 1 chip model, the iq is about as good as it can get)
crtsd2snes.jpg

snes.jpg

Should be good for the neo as well. At least now I have the option to use crt tv for it. :) Will still test it with monitor and plasma tv as well though!

Last edited: