Super Neo 29 Dead Monitor or PSU???

jon713

Camel Slug
Hey everyone, well today while I was playing some bad dudes I noticed like a click/pop and the screen turned to this:
10zpwtj.jpg

I thought at first that my board had just gone out but I tested with some other boards and it still gave me the same result. I tested tekken tag but nothing not even sound. I also connected my CPS2 (SFA2), it did power on because the fan started but again no sound or picture.

Weird thing is that no sound is heard either. So I am not sure what's happening, could it be a monitor problem or a power issue?

I also went around and made sure nothing was loose in the connections in the cab and the jamma harness.

I took some pics of the rear of the monitor, maybe someone can point me in the right direction on how to fix this.
ddke4g.jpg

3505mjo.jpg

Last edited:

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Never had a monitor die on me (yet.) But I'd suggest using a multimeter to check the power supply and rule it out.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
If it was only the monitor you would still have sound. It's looking like a power issue somewhere.

jon713

Camel Slug
What if it turns out to be a power issue, where could I buy a replacement power supply for a cab like this? And how much do they go for?

Also I have no idea how to check this with a multi-meter, I must read up on this or watch some youtube vids.

Would it be a good idea to use a power supply from my other cabs, to test it out?

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
I'm willing to bet this is definitely a power supply issue. You shouldn't have a problem using one from another of your cabs to test it out. Buying new ones range in price, depending on quality and output, but most will cost you somewhere in the $30-50 range. Pretty easy to find online, just do a search for arcade power supply.

SSS

neo retired
Testing for voltage is super easy. Don't need anything fancy, run to radio shack and get a cheap model. Refer to the jamma pinout here.

Www.arcade4home.com

Set meter to dc voltage. Turn on cab, place red lead on 5v pin, black lead on a ground pin. Do the same for 12 v.

I also believe there's a fuse on the super neo power supply. Check that as well.

Unfortunately super Neo's use a custom psu with connectors and shit. I guess there's a chance you could find a working one on yahoo Japan or something. You might be able to replace bad components.

I would wire in a new decent switching PSU inside the shell of the old PSU. Would be fairly easy, just a bit of rewiring

jon713

Camel Slug
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I just grabbed a multimeter today so I will check tonight.

I see that the psu has a lot of wiring plugged into it I will post a pic.

I'm horrible at soldering, has anybody here made a wiring harness to fit the current wiring to a new psu?

loegan43

I've served my time in the Dark Army., Have you?,
15 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the suggestions, I just grabbed a multimeter today so I will check tonight.

I see that the psu has a lot of wiring plugged into it I will post a pic.

I'm horrible at soldering, has anybody here made a wiring harness to fit the current wiring to a new psu?

Don't know if anyone has, but I'd recommend FrancoB, he does great work.

SSS

neo retired
I would gut the power supply, clip the wires right at the old PSU board. Install a new switching PSU, maybe take it out of it's case if needed and install it in the super Neo's PSU box. Then just tie in the wires that were clipped. You'd keep a stock appearance to the cab retaining connectors etc..

But I'm getting way ahead. Check the fuse and for voltage first

jon713

Camel Slug
Ok I checked the voltage with my multimeter and I get a -4 for my (-5v) and a 11 for my (+12v) and no reading for my (+5v) on both pins. Is this normal? Shouldnt I get a reading for my +5v?

Also I see the voltage tab or button on my PSU. Does this thing screw off or something, it has a little arrow pointing left but it doesn't budge. Here is a pic: Could this be causing the problem?
orkshf.jpg

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
5V is the most important one. It is the one you want to be exactly 5.0-5.10 depending on the board. Since you are getting no 5V, that means you won't get video or sound.

You -5v should be pretty dead on with 5, and 12V should be close to 12V not 11.

Where did you test your 5v pins? I would test them at the jamma harness. There should be two pins on the top and two at the bottom.I do know some candy cabinets will be missing a 5v pin since they use it for spinner controls/coin box and assume pcbs link pins.

The voltage tab you are talking about, is it the one to the right of the red test button? Usually you adjust the 5v voltages with a screw driver. This will affect the 5v, 12v, and -5v in most cases.

I reckon there is a fuse blown since you aren't getting any 5v. Check your connectors at the power supply loom to make sure it is in nice and tight and for fuses.

SSS

neo retired
Unscrew that fuse below the power switch. Not sure if it's for the 120 AC or +5V DC. Worth a check

jon713

Camel Slug
5V is the most important one. It is the one you want to be exactly 5.0-5.10 depending on the board. Since you are getting no 5V, that means you won't get video or sound.

You -5v should be pretty dead on with 5, and 12V should be close to 12V not 11.

Where did you test your 5v pins? I would test them at the jamma harness. There should be two pins on the top and two at the bottom.I do know some candy cabinets will be missing a 5v pin since they use it for spinner controls/coin box and assume pcbs link pins.

The voltage tab you are talking about, is it the one to the right of the red test button? Usually you adjust the 5v voltages with a screw driver. This will affect the 5v, 12v, and -5v in most cases.

I reckon there is a fuse blown since you aren't getting any 5v. Check your connectors at the power supply loom to make sure it is in nice and tight and for fuses.

I checked the voltage through the jamma harness. Using the grounds on the very top I tested the -5, +12 which shows current but the +5 still gives me nothing.

I also tested this using the ground pins at the bottom, But I get no reading for any of the -5 or +12 using the bottom harness grounds. Only the top ground pins give me readings.

I checked the wires to see if anything was loose, but everything seemed fine. Also I adjusted the voltage thats on the left hand corner of the PSU. I used a screw driver but after testing again nothing was different.

Unscrew that fuse below the power switch. Not sure if it's for the 120 AC or +5V DC. Worth a check
I finally screwed off the fuse knob, I thought I had to turn the entire thing but I only just needed to use a small flat head screwdriver and unscrew the mid portion. :/

I went to radio shack and replaced the fuse, turned out to be a (250v 6A fuse). Even with the new fuse nothing has changed.

Im still missing the +5V, what else could be causing this?

SSS

neo retired
I checked the voltage through the jamma harness. Using the grounds on the very top I tested the -5, +12 which shows current but the +5 still gives me nothing.

I also tested this using the ground pins at the bottom, But I get no reading for any of the -5 or +12 using the bottom harness grounds. Only the top ground pins give me readings.

I checked the wires to see if anything was loose, but everything seemed fine. Also I adjusted the voltage thats on the left hand corner of the PSU. I used a screw driver but after testing again nothing was different.

I finally screwed off the fuse knob, I thought I had to turn the entire thing but I only just needed to use a small flat head screwdriver and unscrew the mid portion. :/

I went to radio shack and replaced the fuse, turned out to be a (250v 6A fuse). Even with the new fuse nothing has changed.

Im still missing the +5V, what else could be causing this?

Sounds like it's time to crack open the power supply. Maybe there's a small fuse internally on the pcb. Otherwise, sounds like you roasted it.

jon713

Camel Slug
Here she goes:
1pz2ty.jpg

Dont see another fuse so im guessing its just fried like you said.

Ive been contacting a few people that might be able to grab me a new one. But if all else fails I think Im going to have to buy me a PSU and rewire it or have someone make a power harness for me.

SSS

neo retired
Can't really tell from the photo, but might be worth a try to replace the capacitors and check the diodes if there are any.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
Follow your 5V leads into the PSU, and check for any obvious damage: scorch marks or burnt components. As was suggested already, check caps and/or replace. You are going to need to pull the PSU PCB out of that case to check for any scorched traces.

Welcome to the world of arcade machine ownership. There are two types of arcade collectors: those that know how to solder, and those that will eventually know how to solder.

These things happen, and this will be a valuable learning experience for you! I have had my Astro Citys for over 5 years and have lost 1 PSU and recapped both monitors in that time frame.

Last edited: