Green vertical lines showing up after awhile?

Jed

n00b
Hey guys just wondering what the issues may be. I have been playing KOF2k2 in my MV1-A cabinet and it seems to work for awhile then eventually I'll get vertical green lines around some sprites. If I turn the cabinet off for a bit and back on it doesn't happen anymore.

I know the cart might need more power than say World Heroes but I'm just not sure and don't want to mess with the power settings too much until I ask (ie acceptable voltage range etc). I'm running an LCD monitor in aspect mode using the standard RGB to VGA converter you see everywhere and the SLG3000 for making scanlines. Any insight would be helpful before I take my hammer and start wacking shit. Thanks!

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
First thing is to figure out if the problem is with the game or with the MV-1A. Do you have any games other than KOF 2k2 you can try it with?

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I wouldn't think it was power related but check that +5v is 5.00-5.10, Clean the cartridge pins thoroughly and report back.

Jed

n00b
Hey guys other games worked. But yah I cleaned the pins with some alcohol and now it seems to work good. So I'm guessing it was the cart. Is it common to have to clean the carts? Not that I mind, just curious if that's normal or if it means the cart is degrading. Thanks guys!

Anselm

Camel Slug
Is it common to have to clean the carts?

Yes

The leads are copper and they tarnish/corrode. When I get an MVS cart, the first thing I do is take out the two circuit boards to clean the connectors with an eraser. If the cards are dirty, I'll clean them too. Never put a recently acquired cart in your system without cleaning it. The games are far easier to clean than the motherboard connectors.

~Ansem~

Jed

n00b
Yes

The leads are copper and they tarnish/corrode. When I get an MVS cart, the first thing I do is take out the two circuit boards to clean the connectors with an eraser. If the cards are dirty, I'll clean them too. Never put a recently acquired cart in your system without cleaning it. The games are far easier to clean than the motherboard connectors.

~Ansem~

Do you mean like a standar eraser used on pencils? Do you just rub across the connectors of the cart? (the two board ends that go into the motherboard)

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Do you mean like a standar eraser used on pencils? Do you just rub across the connectors of the cart? (the two board ends that go into the motherboard)

Correctomundo brother. Rub them good, hell I've washed MVS cart pcb's in warm water and soap and then air dried vertically. Even though the contacts look clean just rubbing them with alcohol and a cotton tip will show some black residue.

Jed

n00b
Correctomundo brother. Rub them good, hell I've washed MVS cart pcb's in warm water and soap and then air dried vertically. Even though the contacts look clean just rubbing them with alcohol and a cotton tip will show some black residue.

Awesome thanks! Time to dig out my old university school supplies.