Understanding my Cab Speakers

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
So I have a Big Red with two 8ohm, 10watt speakers connected in MVS configuration (JAMMA L to Speaker L+, JAMMA 10 to Speaker R+, Grounded -ve on both), which should be hazardous to any JAMMA-based mono amps. However:
  • I've been able to safely run my Naomi 1 with the Capcom IO on JAMMA edge alone
  • The two-slot Neo Geo mobo I have that I'm pretty sure had sound at one point does not output any sound anymore (blown amp is my assumption, not gonna sacrifice another MVS board to test until I can safeguard it properly)

What manner of trickery is this?

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
It will run, but you're asking for issues eventually. My advice? Get a Jamma to MVS adapter from jammaboards.com, even has a video on it about this exact thing. Don't torch your Naomi brotha!

trenog

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
It will run, but you're asking for issues eventually. My advice? Get a Jamma to MVS adapter from jammaboards.com, even has a video on it about this exact thing. Don't torch your Naomi brotha!

That would be the easiest way, but it's also the most expensive way. Considering that Naomi runs Stereo though this is only a partial solution. I would love it if I could create a wiring setup that would allow for a safe dual mono setup but there is only partial and situational information for this.

For example, could I create a dual mono setup by setting up in parallel the JAMMA 10 (Speaker+) to both MVS 10 (Speaker R+) and L (Speaker L+) so that the signal doubles? Or do I have to set it up in series because of impedance? Can I do this with a fingerboard and a 56-pin header? Perhaps with this setup I could even set up a switch to turn JAMMA audio off and instead route the leveled stereo RCA to a Naomi amp and then to the speakers. So many options!