Jamma-ized Consoles and RGB amplification.. Questions/issues SOLVED!!!

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
This issue has been solved! Check out my last post for more info!

Hey guys,

MegaGriffin sent me his JammaGenesis 1 to test out with my 2933 chassis in my blast city. He was having issues with the video not showing up as brightly as it should (he has a 2933 as well) .. so he sent it to someone else to test with their E2 and it worked fine. Thinking it was an issue with the 2933 in general, he sent it to me to try out. Check out the video:

Aluisi did the hack, and had attached a sync cleaner to it. I haven't had a chance to open her up, but do you think that the sync cleaner is the reason this is happening? I'm going to be doing a mod on a Genny2 and would like to get everything taken care of so I can enjoy some RGB genesis goodness as well.

Lemme know! Thanks!

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

I have that same 360 faceplate..lol

377.jpg

Rudie for life!

Lemony Vengeance

just spoke with Nightmare Tony in chat.. he suggested the following:

[Nightmare Tony] 10:37 am: probably run individual op amps with an adjustable gain resistor for each channel?
[Nightmare Tony] 10:37 am: your sync is fine. your color drive is way down
[Nightmare Tony] 10:38 am: 3 identical circuits of a n amplifier. let me see if I can find one.
[Lemony Vengeance] 10:38 am: BTW, I'm a novice at electronics
[Lemony Vengeance] 10:38 am: so I'll need things dumbed down for me for a bit
[Nightmare Tony] 10:38 am: LM324, look up op amp circuits.
[Lemony Vengeance] 10:38 am: I mean, I'm no nightmare tony by any means
[Nightmare Tony] 10:38 am: blush
[Nightmare Tony] 10:41 am: http://www.swarthmore.edu/NatSci/echeeve1/Ref/SingleSupply/Invert.gif
[Nightmare Tony] 10:41 am: build 3 of these circuits on a single lm324 chip
[Nightmare Tony] 10:41 am: the upper resistor is a 10k pot
[Nightmare Tony] 10:41 am: run each color through each of the 3 channels
[Nightmare Tony] 10:42 am: adjust and enjoy

he needed to hop out of chat to rest (understandibly, but isn't he amazing for helping out? :D) so I'm going to need to be talked through this a bit more.. anyone out there that can elaborate?

Lemony Vengeance

hey all,

So I got around to modding a Genny model 1 that I had laying around and it's having the same issue... The picture is really dim.. the difference is, mine isn't running the RGB through caps like MegaGriffin's is.

Getting back to Tony's guidance, is there anyone out there that can provide more information on his specifications?

FalcomAdol

Fio's Quartermaster
hey all,

So I got around to modding a Genny model 1 that I had laying around and it's having the same issue... The picture is really dim.. the difference is, mine isn't running the RGB through caps like MegaGriffin's is.

Getting back to Tony's guidance, is there anyone out there that can provide more information on his specifications?
I believe he means you can use this:

http://www.datasheetcatalog.org/datasheet/philips/LM124X_4.pdf

So this chip has four amplifiers in it, and you will use three of them to make the R, G, and B, signals stronger. You don't need to do anything with the sync, he said that the sync was fine.

The amplifier is the triangle shaped thing in his diagram.

Note that although the linked PDF has my company's name on it, we no longer make semiconductors, we sold that business (spun it off actually, actually the guy who is currently our CEO got spun off with that business, now he's back).

Conceptually what you are doing is similar to the CDX RGB/Video Repair mod on this page, you're just using a different Amplifier chip:

http://www.freewebs.com/vgmods/segagenesismodificaitons.htm

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

The Light bulb was beginning to turn on just before you posted this so thanks for confirming what I thought was correct.

I take it that I would use the -input pins and ground the +input pins, correct? I'd need to run 5v through it to provide power, right?

Tony has also suggested that I add 10 K ohm pots as resistors to control the brightness of the individual colors (per this diagram ). Would you suggest doing that? Also, what about adding a switch to enable/disable the amp? Would it be possible, and how would I wire it to make it switch it on and off, by adding it on the voltage line?

sorry for all the questions, as I said before, I'm no expert when it comes to circuitry.

shadows

Mature's Make-up Artist
I take it that I would use the -input pins and ground the +input pins, correct? I'd need to run 5v through it to provide power, right?

Correct.
5v to pin 4 VCC

Tony has also suggested that I add 10 K ohm pots as resistors to control the brightness of the individual colors (per this diagram ). Would you suggest doing that? Also, what about adding a switch to enable/disable the amp? Would it be possible, and how would I wire it to make it switch it on and off, by adding it on the voltage line?

You can also change the pots and use resistors once you dial in the value you want.

Also, what about adding a switch to enable/disable the amp? Would it be possible, and how would I wire it to make it switch it on and off, by adding it on the voltage line?
Youd get no picture if you just turned off the power to the chip. You could either use the pot to turn down the brightness or a 3pdt switch, to bypass the amp.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Before building the amps try just tying the RGB lines via 75ohm resistors to ground. You might have an unterminated monitor and that may help.

Lemony Vengeance

Before building the amps try just tying the RGB lines via 75ohm resistors to ground. You might have an unterminated monitor and that may help.

I see a lot of people adding 220 uf caps in line with the resistors as well.. Aluisi (the maker of the other genny) added the caps but no resistors and I haven't seen a difference between the two. Should I try it with the resistors first, then try them with the caps?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Not inline, tied to ground. So connect rgb to the monitor like normal but have a 75ohm resistor on each line touching the line and the other side of the resistor connects to ground.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Not inline, tied to ground. So connect rgb to the monitor like normal but have a 75ohm resistor on each line touching the line and the other side of the resistor connects to ground.

Got'cha! I'll be hitting the Shack to grab the resistors today to try it out.

Lemony Vengeance

Ok, so I tried it out with. And without the caps, and both yielded no change. =/

I'm going to grab the op amp IC tonight and give that a shot.

Lemony Vengeance

so, picked up an LM324 and a few pots.. didn't work. I ran the lines through one by one and all it did was take that color away from the picture.. dang it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What resistor values did you go with for reference and input?

Lemony Vengeance

So... I'm thinking I may have placed the parts on the circuit board wrong.. :S I'll look into this and get back to everyone later.

Lemony Vengeance

ok, so I rebuilt the circuit and I'm getting the same thing :( no video.

I went searching google for "LM324 genesis" and found this page that talked about using a EL5410 to amplify the image on a Genesis 3. It also had this image

CDXRGBop.png

I ran the RGB through it and got an extremely fuzzy picture, but it wasn't as bright as I thought it should be. I didn't run the sync through it.

Should I have ran the sync through it? What am I doing wrong?

Last edited: