PDA

View Full Version : Gift and project for Neo Geo hardware hacker types

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 08:53 PM
I had mentioned that while at SNK I had designed a steering wheel addition to the Neo Geo to play some serious Thrash Rally. This was shown at some trade shows but did not garner enough attention to warrant manufacture, sadly.

And so I present to you the schematic for making it yourself.

Sure, there is a long set of rules about it. I am leery of someone taking it and selling on their own without getting legal permission and licensing from me. this is for your own personal use if you want the challenge to add this bit of controller festivities to Thrash Rally.

If you DO wish to make a kit to sell of this, please do contact me first for arrangements.

Enjoy!

http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Neo%20Geo%20Steering%20Wheel%20Schematic.pdf

08-14-2012, 09:22 PM
I am leery of someone taking it and selling on their own without getting legal permission and licensing from me.

It's as if you are speaking directly to kenny.

Black IcE
08-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have been curious about how this was done ever since I first read about it a while ago.

aria
08-14-2012, 09:32 PM
This is so damn cool. I actually really like Thrash Rally so this would be fun to have for it.

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 09:33 PM
Thanks for posting this. I have been curious about how this was done ever since I first read about it a while ago.

No problem and you are welcome to build your own for personal use. It was done on a breadboard for the prototype. I have my pictures from SNK over here so once I scan I will post those pertaining to this project.

I will not release the ticket dispenser Neo Geo project because it is all complicated as heck and I lost my source code and schematics. On that one, I spied on the data and address bus using 74245 buffers and flagging when the score memory location was hit. It fed into an Apple 2E to process all that goofiness.

aria
08-14-2012, 09:41 PM
This is such a neat thing that I've put a noticed at the top of the forum and deleted the two Kiwi references (because he doesn't deserve any attention here). Expect more people reading about it.

shadows
08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing this.

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 09:42 PM
This is such a neat thing that I've put a noticed at the top of the forum and deleted the two Kiwi references (because he doesn't deserve any attention here). Expect more people reading about it.

Thanks! A gift for the community. Those who want to try it, go for it.

supergoose
08-14-2012, 10:03 PM
thanks, Tony. that'll be one of my next projects for sure.

NeoTurfMasta
08-14-2012, 10:13 PM
Thank you so much Tony. What this will work great with is the Pop 'n Bounce project I'm working on.

Tyranix95
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
WoW! Very Cool, T.

Thanks!

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 10:18 PM
Thank you so much Tony. What this will work great with is the Pop 'n Bounce project I'm working on.

Does Pop N Bounce use the LR joystick inputs? From what I read, it may not help with that project. Worth a shot, though...

NeoTurfMasta
08-14-2012, 10:20 PM
Yep, only L/R for movement and A for shooting.

NeoTheranthrope
08-14-2012, 10:29 PM
Is there enough info to possibly re-create the actual hardware on a 3d-printer or something similar?

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Is there enough info to possibly re-create the actual hardware on a 3d-printer or something similar?

The hardware is simple.

Happ steering wheel. Drill holes, mount in Neo panel.
Floor pedal with push button to wire tot he A pushbutton
Circuit linked to convert the steeling pulses to LR signals.

SNKorSWM
08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
Does it also work with Over Top?

NeoTheranthrope
08-14-2012, 11:02 PM
The hardware is simple.

Happ steering wheel. Drill holes, mount in Neo panel.
Floor pedal with push button to wire tot he A pushbutton
Circuit linked to convert the steeling pulses to LR signals.

Is it any of these (http://na.suzohapp.com/driving/driving_amusement.htm)?

Dion
08-14-2012, 11:16 PM
Does it also work with Over Top?

Or Neo Drift?

Nightmare Tony
08-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Or Neo Drift?

I didnt try it with others, but if they steer with LR like Riding Hero, then they should work.

I used a happ, dual photocell like a trackwheel, no feedback motor.

Neorebel
08-14-2012, 11:43 PM
This is really cool of you! Someone build one and post up some pics!

Xian Xi
08-15-2012, 02:00 AM
Awesome, thanks Tony.

DanAdamKOF
08-15-2012, 02:28 AM
So this decodes a "wagon wheel" rotary encoder to CW/CCW (L/R) pulses? All in analog? I bow before you.

werejag
08-15-2012, 03:24 AM
thank you Nightmare Tony

time to convert a ps2 or ps3 wheel for the aes

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 03:49 AM
So this decodes a "wagon wheel" rotary encoder to CW/CCW (L/R) pulses? All in analog? I bow before you.

No, all digital, it uses the 90 degree offset type optical encoder. So a Centipede or Tempest control can be used on it. The upper flip flop tells direction and the lower one shot times the pulses to a solid signal so there is a kind of control where if you turn slowly, it turns more slowly.

Lee Gray
08-15-2012, 03:57 AM
Cool, is the prototype still out there ? as an official unproduced neo geo accessory would be worth a small fortune.

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 04:09 AM
Cool, is the prototype still out there ? as an official unproduced neo geo accessory would be worth a small fortune.

It was still at SNK when I left when SNK moved up north. I didnt keep it. I kept the circuit stuff from the ticket dispenser prototype, though. That got torn apart into other projects.

Tarma
08-15-2012, 07:02 AM

lol, I was thinking the same thing as soon as I read that! :lolz:

Except, of course, that Kenny's would have l.e.d.'s and be called a "princess wheel" and therefore could never be confused with SNK's proto :rolleyes:

OT - although not for me, it's a great piece of info to release - thanks Tony! :)

NeoTurfMasta
08-15-2012, 07:41 AM
thank you Nightmare Tony

time to convert a ps2 or ps3 wheel for the aes

I'd say all home console wheels dont use optical encoders, but regular analog pots. So this circuit wont work on those kind of wheels.

NeoTurfMasta
08-15-2012, 09:48 AM
Is it any of these (http://na.suzohapp.com/driving/driving_amusement.htm)?

http://na.suzohapp.com/driving/50283700.htm

This is the only optical one they have. Quite expensive. However, hacking something like this (http://na.suzohapp.com/trackballs/a052101000.htm) is possible. I have some happ trackwheel stuff laying around that is basically the same thing. Once I get the parts in, I'll see how inexpensive we can get a wheel working.

Personally, my goal is to get one of these working on it. http://www.ultimarc.com/SpinTrak.html.

EDIT:

Please correct me if I'm wrong Tony. You arent hacking anything on the actual optical encoder are you, but pulling from the LR outputs of the encoder right?

IDCHAPPY
08-15-2012, 10:04 AM
Very interesting Tony and great stuff :buttrock:

FalcomAdol
08-15-2012, 10:06 AM
I am very interested in this, if someone can put together a complete parts list to build one of these in a box with a Neo controller input, I'd be in hog heaven.

NeoTurfMasta
08-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Thinking of some wheels that might work:

Pole Position games
Off Road

Think of any game that you could spin the wheel and it would keep spinning. Those are what you need to look for. You can get those cheap on ebay, but no idea if the encoders are working or not. So something similar to the link I posted earlier could replace the old encoder.

distropia
08-15-2012, 10:36 AM
Awesome, dude.

Now my dream is a bit nearer, a true driving game on the neo "ala outrun" with a steering wheel.

Razoola
08-15-2012, 10:47 AM
very nice Tony!

DanAdamKOF
08-15-2012, 10:58 AM
No, all digital, it uses the 90 degree offset type optical encoder. So a Centipede or Tempest control can be used on it. The upper flip flop tells direction and the lower one shot times the pulses to a solid signal so there is a kind of control where if you turn slowly, it turns more slowly.The encoder I have in mind is like this: Incremental rotary encoder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder#Incremental_rotary_encoder)
Just so we're on the same page.
By "analog" I mean you don't at any point use a microcontroller, CPU etc. Just logic.

ratson
08-15-2012, 01:03 PM

Thank god you did, I would probably have missed it if you hadn't.

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 02:35 PM
The encoder I have in mind is like this: Incremental rotary encoder (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotary_encoder#Incremental_rotary_encoder)
Just so we're on the same page.
By "analog" I mean you don't at any point use a microcontroller, CPU etc. Just logic.

that is exactly the type, quadrature encoding system. Arkanoid, Pole Position, Top Speed use them.

NTM: there is no modification to the steering wheel assembly. The two photocell outputs simply go to the board inputs.

As an aside, granted the first licensing, a kewl member on here will be making and hopefully selling the boards. Plug and play fun.

DanAdamKOF
08-15-2012, 02:38 PM
I'm gonna have to look into how the flip-flop determines output pulse length, my digital logic skills are not very high so it's voodoo to me how you count pulses from the sensors in one direction and output that to left/right for a length of time depending on how long you're spinning for. Gonna have to get out a logic simulator and some notebook paper at some point.

This actually has implications for another project I've fiddled with off and on, I was thinking of using a microcontroller to decode quadrature encoder sensor outputs to button presses (variable length or not) but that's such a hackish and overkill solution..

edit: Misunderstood I think, so you don't send a single pulse of a length, but a bunch of small ones for a period of time? Makes a little more sense to me. Flipflops are still voodoo to me, so they're simultaneously a memory of the last sensor state and a state table to determine direction based on the next state? We did one lab with them in digital logic but it was way simpler than that.

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I'm gonna have to look into how the flip-flop determines output pulse length, my digital logic skills are not very high so it's voodoo to me how you count pulses from the sensors in one direction and output that to left/right for a length of time depending on how long you're spinning for. Gonna have to get out a logic simulator and some notebook paper at some point.

This actually has implications for another project I've fiddled with off and on, I was thinking of using a microcontroller to decode quadrature encoder sensor outputs to button presses (variable length or not) but that's such a hackish and overkill solution...

the flip flop only steers for left and right. The one shot 74LS123 is what enables the actual joystick press through the AND gates. With too fast a time, it would make the control stutters so the 12K and 1K was the change to make it work out nicely.

and if you can use it to have into something different with ideas form it, please do. You got my respect on here for many years and am pleased to return the favor.

DanAdamKOF
08-15-2012, 02:49 PM
the flip flop only steers for left and right. The one shot 74LS123 is what enables the actual joystick press through the AND gates. With too fast a time, it would make the control stutters so the 12K and 1K was the change to make it work out nicely.

and if you can use it to have into something different with ideas form it, please do. You got my respect on here for many years and am pleased to return the favor.
Edited my above post a bit but thanks for the info :)

FYI the project is adapting a PS2 beatmania IIDXcontroller to USB, it's a music game which has a turntable. The turntable uses a quatrature encoder, and some chip in the controller takes the sensor output and determines direction from it, then outputs left or right to the PS2. Unfortunately that chip that does that is also the main "talk to PS2" chip under a glop-top. So if I were to interface it to USB I would need to do the quadrature sensors -> direction handling on my own.

There's homebrew beatmania IIDX recrations on PC and the old "beatmania" (non-IIDX) series is emulated well in MAME, but using a PS2->USB converter introduces lag, I would rather natively interface it to USB by wiring the controller's buttons and turntable to a USB gamepad.

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 02:54 PM
Edited my above post a bit but thanks for the info :)

FYI the project is adapting a PS2 beatmania IIDXcontroller to USB, it's a music game which has a turntable. The turntable uses a quatrature encoder, and some chip in the controller takes the sensor output and determines direction from it, then outputs left or right to the PS2. Unfortunately that chip that does that is also the main "talk to PS2" chip under a glop-top. So if I were to interface it to USB I would need to do the quadrature sensors -> direction handling on my own.

There's homebrew beatmania IIDX recrations on PC and the old "beatmania" (non-IIDX) series is emulated well in MAME, but using a PS2->USB converter introduces lag, I would rather natively interface it to USB by wiring the controller's buttons and turntable to a USB gamepad.

One thing you will want to do. If the wheel on mine turns too slow, it comes out as a series of pulses to the output. You will want to fiddle around with the one shot time delay for something far faster perhaps.

DanAdamKOF
08-15-2012, 02:55 PM
One thing you will want to do. If the wheel on mine turns too slow, it comes out as a series of pulses to the output. You will want to fiddle around with the one shot time delay for something far faster perhaps.I'm not an EE but I was thinking a large capacitor to keep the output high for a while, while it waits for the next pulse. Just an idea after one minute of thinking.

It doesn't look like I could shove the circuit as-is into my idea and have it work exactly like I want, it'd take tweaking, but the groundwork is laid out.

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 02:59 PM
I'm not an EE but I was thinking a large capacitor to keep the output high for a while, while it waits for the next pulse. Just an idea after one minute of thinking.

It doesn't look like I could shove the circuit as-is into my idea and have it work exactly like I want, it'd take tweaking, but the groundwork is laid out.

Run with it and have fun. That be the important thing with it all :D

Fortune
08-15-2012, 04:30 PM
This is really awesome! Thanks, Tony. Nice to see it got stickied at the top.

massimiliano
08-15-2012, 04:44 PM
awesome Tony! Thanks for sharing :)

I clearly remember a neo drift out cab back in the time, here in Italy, using one of those steering wheels (spinning endlessy in both directions)... it was fun and stylish...:cool:

werejag
08-15-2012, 07:36 PM
anyone have pics of the cab?

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 07:44 PM
anyone have pics of the cab?

I think I still have one I need to scan along with a bunch of other pix taken round SNK....

NeoTheranthrope
08-15-2012, 08:35 PM
Fucking awesome thread!

Mattroid
08-15-2012, 09:34 PM
This is absolutely made of win. Thanks, Tony!

Renmauzo
08-15-2012, 10:17 PM
As I said in chat Tony, this is really cool! I really want to try the wheel out with Neo DriftOut; it would seriously never come out of the cab :D

Nightmare Tony
08-15-2012, 10:20 PM
As I said in chat Tony, this is really cool! I really want to try the wheel out with Neo DriftOut; it would seriously never come out of the cab :D

That was me and thrash rally :D

white castle
08-15-2012, 10:23 PM
This is awesome. Thank you!

incrediblehark
08-16-2012, 12:41 AM
really great news (like the sticky at the top of the page) and thats nice of you to share the schematic so people can build their own. looking forward to seeing pics of finished projects!

JammaGuy
08-16-2012, 11:14 AM
Soo cool! If anyone makes a steering application, they should post pics, I'd love to see the creative side of this!!

-Bill

Nightmare Tony
08-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Soo cool! If anyone makes a steering application, they should post pics, I'd love to see the creative side of this!!

-Bill

agreed, plus improvements along the way. Hack and enjoy!

christoph
08-16-2012, 04:06 PM
This is really cool Tony, thanks for sharing!

If this worked with Neo Drift Out I could see it making the game even more fun if that is even possible :D

eek
08-16-2012, 08:24 PM
Can we rename this thread as The Reveal and the davidg one as The Bullshit?

shadowkn55
08-16-2012, 10:54 PM

-Bill

When I get some time, I will make this and play puzzle bobble with it. Thanks, Nightmare Tony. I'll have to figure out a good way to repay the favor.

SonGohan
08-16-2012, 11:51 PM

I like how it's been a couple days already, and kenny hasn't even made a post to deny that he would do something like that.

Nightmare Tony
08-17-2012, 12:13 AM
When I get some time, I will make this and play puzzle bobble with it. Thanks, Nightmare Tony. I'll have to figure out a good way to repay the favor.

By doing it and having fun with it, that repays the favor.

rcantor77
08-17-2012, 07:26 AM
Nice one Tony... look forward to trying to knock one of these up for a bit of fun.

Been playing a bit of linkup Thrash Rally recently, so would be great fun to have this setup on the cabs.
:D

ne7
08-17-2012, 12:30 PM
wow really interesting! Thanks Tony!

Nightmare Tony
08-17-2012, 01:31 PM
By the way if you are building for the first time and it doesnt work, use a logic probe. Check both inputs of the 7474 that they get clocking from the steering wheel and the outputs flip one way or another, depending on which direction the wheel is turned. The one shot invokes with pulses from one side of the steering wheel and enables the 7408s. So the final transistor pases will turn on when yo9u turn the wheel in that direction and if you turn it slower, it will give a string of pulses.

Post away when you get them going! Have fun!

rcantor77
08-17-2012, 04:16 PM
Tony, seeing as I am not sure just yet how I would connect it up to my Super Neo cab.. do you know if there are any PC Steering Wheels that are suitable so I could use it on my CMVS...?

Cheers mate. :)

aria
08-17-2012, 04:35 PM
Whoever gets a license from Nightmare Tony to make and sell these, remember to make one extra-pimp for 8man.

supergoose
08-17-2012, 05:26 PM
Whoever gets a license from Nightmare Tony to make and sell these, remember to make one extra-pimp for 8man.
Metal slug racetrack. BA:dragf:INGA!

Nightmare Tony
08-17-2012, 07:51 PM
Tony, seeing as I am not sure just yet how I would connect it up to my Super Neo cab.. do you know if there are any PC Steering Wheels that are suitable so I could use it on my CMVS...?

Cheers mate. :)

You just hook up to the left and right joystick switches. It should work on the home system as well.

Nightmare Tony
08-18-2012, 09:47 AM
I have spoken to several wonderful members who have given back to the MVS community for years for permission for marketing and releasing this as a kit in various forms, from PCB only to full kits. This way, it offers choice for how you would want to go for this at a fair pricing.

My real fear at the beginning of releasing this publicly was about conman types releasing a super expensive kit then claiming exclusives over anyone else producing them.

And personally, I still feel it better for everyone to enjoy rather than simply sitting in a stack of papers on a shelf, benefitting nobody.

supergoose
08-18-2012, 10:05 AM
Don't worry too much about kenny. Those who take without giving credit (selling pirated Uni BIOS v3, for example) are usually others.

werejag
08-18-2012, 09:34 PM
a,b,c,d can be used can a thotal be added or breaks?

Nightmare Tony
08-18-2012, 09:47 PM
a,b,c,d can be used can a thotal be added or breaks?

depends on the game. am only adding a foot pedal for the A buttong which is the acceelrator on Thrash.

Rade K
08-18-2012, 11:43 PM
Hyper cool. thank you.

Loris Biaggi
08-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Now i really need an mvs driving cab!

depends on the game. am only adding a foot pedal for the A buttong which is the acceelrator on Thrash.

Brakes are quite useless

Billkwando
08-20-2012, 09:44 PM
This is awesome. Oh and LOL @ DanAdanKOF....the moment I saw you in the thread, the first thing I thought was "IIDX Wheel"!

So Tony, are you the nice Hispanic gentleman I spoke to on the phone a few times @ SNK, right around the Torrance move, around when Bonnie Lais and Chad were still there? (I don't wanna put your last name out there if it's you)

You probably don't remember me, but you gave me the DIN pinouts for the homecart RGB so I could make my own BNC cable (which sadly I never got to use for anything). Also I asked if it was possible to send a modchipped Neo in for service and you (or another Tony) told me you'd go into the meeting you had that day and ask if it was ok (it was).

Either way, that brings back memories!

Nightmare Tony
08-20-2012, 09:58 PM
This is awesome. Oh and LOL @ DanAdanKOF....the moment I saw you in the thread, the first thing I thought was "IIDX Wheel"!

So Tony, are you the nice Hispanic gentleman I spoke to on the phone a few times @ SNK, right around the Torrance move, around when Bonnie Lais and Chad were still there? (I don't wanna put your last name out there if it's you)

You probably don't remember me, but you gave me the DIN pinouts for the homecart RGB so I could make my own BNC cable (which sadly I never got to use for anything). Also I asked if it was possible to send a modchipped Neo in for service and you (or another Tony) told me you'd go into the meeting you had that day and ask if it was ok (it was).

Either way, that brings back memories!

Bonnie was very cool, her whole family.

If you were talking with the home division, that would have been Tony (Juan) Marquez. My own last name is Gonzalez and I did repairs and wierd projects in the arcade division. We were all fun and crazy and super nice people. A great team all around. tis missed.

Billkwando
08-20-2012, 10:17 PM
You know, I think I might've talked to both of you at one point. I know Bonnie was always like "when he comes back from the warehouse I'll ask him...".

She was super duper cool. She talked me into buying Viewpoint used cos I found it in a pawnshop for $75 or $100. I can't remember how it came up, but she was like "Go out and buy it NOW! WE can't even buy it anymore cos it's out of stock...we can only check it out from the office game library and borrow it". She was telling me people were already paying way over the new price for it used. Which is weird now, cos I suppose it's not all that rare....but those were the early/nonexistent days of teh internets.

supergoose
08-20-2012, 10:23 PM
http://www.ebay.de/itm/170896762263?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_476wt_1417

Pedal and brake for car racing simulation, stable and solid. It features a 15-Pin connector with analog wiring allowing you to connect this unit to a JAMMA/NeoGeo/MAK/Supergun port. This connector is hard to find nowadays.

Ebay fee is on me.
he's obviously using this project to unload useless junk to someone who doesn't know any better.

Nightmare Tony
08-20-2012, 10:30 PM
You know, I think I might've talked to both of you at one point. I know Bonnie was always like "when he comes back from the warehouse I'll ask him...".

She was super duper cool. She talked me into buying Viewpoint used cos I found it in a pawnshop for $75 or $100. I can't remember how it came up, but she was like "Go out and buy it NOW! WE can't even buy it anymore cos it's out of stock...we can only check it out from the office game library and borrow it". She was telling me people were already paying way over the new price for it used. Which is weird now, cos I suppose it's not all that rare....but those were the early/nonexistent days of teh internets.

2 years ago being a goof onstage :D might help for knowing which of us is which...
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/66347_1540929195514_1552483_n.jpg

Nightmare Tony
08-23-2012, 02:53 AM
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Romstar%20SNK/SNK/Steering%201.jpg
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Romstar%20SNK/SNK/Steering%202.jpg
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Romstar%20SNK/SNK/Steering%204.jpg
http://www.nightmarepark.com/6502/Romstar%20SNK/SNK/Steering%205.jpg

Enjoy!

Mugicha
08-23-2012, 03:02 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

werejag
08-23-2012, 03:03 AM
nice pedal what was it?.

Nightmare Tony
08-23-2012, 03:05 AM
nice pedal what was it?.

not sure where it was from, single switch pushbutton and worked fantastic as the accelerator.

been going wild, just uploaded about 150 pictures into my website from the SNK and romstar days.

the big bombshell I will be posting in a couple of mins, am posting to the Romstar group on facebook right now
the biggis is the Neo Mini manual.

Xian Xi
08-23-2012, 03:28 AM
That's bad ass man, so clean.

werejag
08-23-2012, 03:32 AM
i was hoping for a new layout for the stering wheel we could build

Nightmare Tony
08-23-2012, 03:36 AM
i was hoping for a new layout for the steering wheel we could build

what stops you? Take from my work and build on it on your own design. Have fun with it.

werejag
08-23-2012, 03:37 AM
i will :)

Nightmare Tony
08-23-2012, 03:40 AM
i will :) Post pictures and how to after so others can share your experience with it.

SNKorSWM
08-23-2012, 10:23 PM
Wow. That's pretty cool.

NeoTurfMasta
09-04-2012, 10:47 PM
http://www.imgur.com/hesk2.jpeg

Confirmed working. I am having an issue with some stutter when the wheel stops moving to the right, but I think it's my encoder.

This is where things will get tricky. I finding a new compatible optical encoder and wheel. I am going to try a few newer models so we don't have to worry too much on stability of old stuff.

Oh and it works great in Pop N Bounce too!

werejag
09-04-2012, 10:58 PM
ill take a few boards

trenog
09-04-2012, 11:04 PM
http://www.imgur.com/hesk2.jpeg

Confirmed working. I am having an issue with some stutter when the wheel stops moving to the right, but I think it's my encoder.

This is where things will get tricky. I finding a new compatible optical encoder and wheel. I am going to try a few newer models so we don't have to worry too much on stability of old stuff.

How the heck do you manage to pop out these boards so quickly?? You're like the magic man of custom boards. Also, what program do you use?

werejag
09-04-2012, 11:08 PM
needs mounting holes

Xian Xi
09-04-2012, 11:09 PM

Works with paddle setting?

NeoTurfMasta
09-04-2012, 11:17 PM
How the heck do you manage to pop out these boards so quickly?? You're like the magic man of custom boards. Also, what program do you use?

China is the land of PCBs and Honey. I use Eagle for small boards like these.

Works with paddle setting?

Nope, regular joystick settings.

massimiliano
09-05-2012, 12:47 PM
awesome board Brian!

Please don't giveup the PnB rotary project, it would be cool to enable hidden bios features and screens!!

Thanks again!

werejag
12-19-2012, 10:28 PM
any progress?

trenog
12-19-2012, 11:07 PM
The last legacy of Nightmare Tony aside from the outing of the fraudulent David G...I hope the first dude that works on an actual panel makes it a good one in his honour! :)

NeoTurfMasta
02-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Just a quick update on this.

Found a great compatible encoder from GroovyGameGear. Called TurboTwist (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268). If you get this, you wont need their interface board so that takes off about $7. I requested a lower resolution version to be closer to the old encoder Tony used. It does come with a spinner, but if you want a wheel, they have several mini wheel options. I didnt use any pedals on mine, just used the buttons.

http://i.imgur.com/Xy2tNpt.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/GDT0fWR.jpg

Works great with:
Thrash Rally (of course)
OverTop
NeoDriftOut
and Pop N Bounce

Tony's circuit is really pretty amazing and has tons of possibilities.

chipperkwah
02-24-2013, 09:49 PM

Found a great compatible encoder from GroovyGameGear. Called TurboTwist (http://groovygamegear.com/webstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=268). If you get this, you wont need their interface board so that takes off about $7. I requested a lower resolution version to be closer to the old encoder Tony used. It does come with a spinner, but if you want a wheel, they have several mini wheel options. I didnt use any pedals on mine, just used the buttons.

Nice! I looked at this thread the other day and wondered if any progress had been made.

Loris Biaggi
03-09-2013, 09:02 AM

Can you make a guide for dummies about how to do it?
I'm trying to play pop 'n bounce with a normal arcade spinner, but of course it doesn't work...

NeoTurfMasta
03-09-2013, 09:10 AM
Can you make a guide for dummies about how to do it?
I'm trying to play pop 'n bounce with a normal arcade spinner, but of course it doesn't work...

Did you build Tony's circuit? I'm sure any arcade spinner will work with this.

Loris Biaggi
03-09-2013, 09:42 AM
No, i just plugged the spinner :lol:

Loris Biaggi
04-29-2013, 12:14 PM
Ok... after a "little" work, today i finished my Pop'n Bounce minicab!
Thanks to the help of Caius on making the driving circuits and thanks to TONY!!!
Look at this beauty! :cool:
http://img713.imageshack.us/img713/5484/popsm.jpg

xsq
04-29-2013, 04:23 PM
wow, that looks amazing. Nice work.

Loris Biaggi
06-11-2013, 03:52 PM
...and, a second small cab for racing games is ready
http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/4617/p1040829l.jpg
Thrash Rally is really great to play with steering wheel!
I want to make a short review of all games we can play thanks to Tony's circuit, because not every game plays perfectly... coming soon ;)

compmike19
04-29-2017, 06:32 AM
Could anyone please post the schematic again?

toaks
06-07-2017, 10:14 AM
I'd like to see the schematic too if anyone still has this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loris Biaggi
06-07-2017, 11:09 AM
Here it is

Niko
06-07-2017, 12:54 PM
Here it is

Thanks, I've also added this to the NeoGeoDev Wiki: Here (https://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=File:Neo_Geo_Steering_Wheel_Schema tic.jpg#file)

toaks
06-07-2017, 11:31 PM
Here it is

Thanks Loris!!!

xsq
06-08-2017, 02:26 AM
yeah, thanks.

compmike19
06-24-2017, 01:55 AM
Thank you!!