2 Slot MVS (MV2FS) with glitchy graphics when inserting a game cart

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Hey there!!
I recently bought an MVS A 2 lot MV2FS, having some big space problem at home, I`ll have to part from my Custom Built Cab with a 25inch CRT and a MV1F in it, so I decided to still keep an MVS (cant live without neogeo ffs!) but a consolized one, now first problem I have is to do the job myself since I am not very very skilled at soldering, however with patience + loooots of coffee :D i`m sure i`ll manage somehow, only issue is after lots of googling around and stuff, I cannot find a simple step by step tutorial to do the job, after all i`m no electrician and not very technical in hardware, when it comes to dry joints and bad chips etc:scratch:l (i`m into media and software not hardware ) so any clues what sort of tutorials I should be looking for?
Now this thing "was" supposed to be consolized however there`s so much work involved i`m just doing everything from start i.e. from scratch because its an mess, but before I start working my way around for styles, case shape, connectors and that stuff, i`ll have to sort myself on the glitchy graphics 1st. any hints??

btw here is a video from youtube of what it is doing, placed the MV2F in my cab (just switching jamma connector from 1 board to another), this way it should work fine, only thing it has a Uni Bios installed v2.0, if I boot it up with no gamecart the picture is fine, also if you notice still images are also fine too, and btw the board was in a MESS:oh_no: but I gave it a good clean with ethanol spirit and now its shiny again and it doesnt look that bad (i.e. scratched or cracked etc)
A) no game cart inserted = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x5XPybZFhg&feature=youtu.be
B) Top hunter MVS cart inserted = http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aigskkUDwTE&feature=youtu.be

Btw i`m from Malta (europe) and no one around on this island even knows what an MVS is :hammer::hammer::hammer:
P.S. I got 9 more MVS gamez and all do the same so its def not a game cart issue or contacts, also afai can remember I tried both slots, will try slot 2 again right now (because 1st time I tried slot 2 I think I did not clean the contacts and board yet but i`m not its another issue not just that!)

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Looks to me like one of your surface mounted graphcis chips is not making good contact with the board and needs to be re-flowed. But I have no clue which chip to look at.

If it was a CAPCOM board, I'd suggest looking at the custom B-XX graphcis chip on the "C" board; however, the NEO is not a CAPCOM baord. So, I'm not sure if that info can help.

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Looks to me like one of your surface mounted graphcis chips is not making good contact with the board and needs to be re-flowed. But I have no clue which chip to look at.

If it was a CAPCOM board, I'd suggest looking at the custom B-XX graphcis chip on the "C" board; however, the NEO is not a CAPCOM baord. So, I'm not sure if that info can help.

Hmm is there any "blueprint" or something like that that may show which chip it might be, I am 99% positive it is something that has to do with 1 graphic chip (reason being still images are ok, moving or backgrounds are not), but better ask someone that understands more than me :P thanks for the reply btw Tyranix95 :)

Last edited:

OldTony

New Challenger
Try to run ram test, set all 7 dip switch on and switch on the system, let it run 5 mins and see if errors appares. If not try to clean better cartridge connector and board connectors.

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
Had a very similar problem with a MV2, battery corrosion ate up traces around ZMC2 (top left) and disconnected some of it outputs to PRO-C0 and LSPC (center right).
Here's all the connections to check:

ZMC2 pin 78: Ground
ZMC2 pin 79: PRO-C0 pin 113
ZMC2 pin 80: PRO-C0 pin 114
ZMC2 pin 1: PRO-C0 pin 115
ZMC2 pin 3: PRO-C0 pin 116
ZMC2 pin 4: LSPC-A0 pin 151
ZMC2 pin 5: LSPC-A0 pin 114
ZMC2 pin 6: LSPC-A0 pin 119 (or LS32 at K3, pin 3)
ZMC2 pin 7: LSPC-A0 pin 118
ZMC2 pin 9: LSPC-A0 pin 152
ZMC2 pin 10: PRO-C0 pin 117
ZMC2 pin 11: PRO-C0 pin 118
ZMC2 pin 13: PRO-C0 pin 119
ZMC2 pin 14: PRO-C0 pin 120

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Had a very similar problem with a MV2, battery corrosion ate up traces around ZMC2 (top left) and disconnected some of it outputs to PRO-C0 and LSPC (center right).
Here's all the connections to check:

ZMC2 pin 79: PRO-C0 pin 113
ZMC2 pin 80: PRO-C0 pin 114
ZMC2 pin 1: PRO-C0 pin 115
ZMC2 pin 3: PRO-C0 pin 116
ZMC2 pin 4: LSPC-A0 pin 151
ZMC2 pin 5: LSPC-A0 pin 114
ZMC2 pin 6: LSPC-A0 pin 119 (or LS32 at K3, pin 3)
ZMC2 pin 7: LSPC-A0 pin 118
ZMC2 pin 9: LSPC-A0 pin 152
ZMC2 pin 10: PRO-C0 pin 117
ZMC2 pin 11: PRO-C0 pin 118
ZMC2 pin 13: PRO-C0 pin 119
ZMC2 pin 14: PRO-C0 pin 120

Hmmm ok I might sound like a noob, which in fact I am when it comes to pcb`s, electronics and soldering :P but I cannot find the chips u mentioned (LSPC-A0) and (PRO-C0) now the ZMC2 is there, for eg its pin 4 is connected to a leg on my B1 on my board, could it be my they are slightly different to what your saying because my board is an MV2 FS? (got memory card slot, controller ports etc and of course its a 2 slotter) want me to upload some pics to show clearly what I mean?

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
No don't worry, it's me overlooking things as usual :) I didn't notice the MV-2FS had the second generation chips. Here's the right connections:

ZMC2 pin 79: NEO-B1 pin 44
ZMC2 pin 80: NEO-B1 pin 45
ZMC2 pin 1: NEO-B1 pin 46
ZMC2 pin 3: NEO-B1 pin 47
ZMC2 pin 4: LSPC2-A2 pin 65
ZMC2 pin 5: LSPC2-A2 pin 147
ZMC2 pin 6: LSPC2-A2 pin 110 or 111 or from a LS32 somewhere
ZMC2 pin 7: LSPC2-A2 pin 109
ZMC2 pin 9: LSPC2-A2 pin 66
ZMC2 pin 10: NEO-B1 pin 53
ZMC2 pin 11: NEO-B1 pin 54
ZMC2 pin 13: NEO-B1 pin 55
ZMC2 pin 14: NEO-B1 pin 56
ZMC2 pin 50: NEO-D0 pin 27

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
No don't worry, it's me overlooking things as usual :) I didn't notice the MV-2FS had the second generation chips. Here's the right connections:

Great will give it a shot later today and let you know bro :) thanks a lot :)

Edit: All look fine, ZMC2 pin 6 leads to LSPC2-A2 pin 111 confirmed, the above traces look fine, guess I`ll have a look at those schematics you linked for me, and test the 3 chips 1 by 1, by any chance dunno if it has to do with it, this board was connected to a 12v psu and via jamma connected directly to a crt tv, could it be sithout using a supergun or something by time some damage could have been done to a particular chip? Also I noticed now, in the sound, there is like some missing tunes, like for example in the neo geo logo at the boot up screen like missing notes. Could it has something to do with the same graphical problem?

Last edited:

furrtek

Super Sidekicks 2
No problem :)
Might be a rude remark, but did you make sure to check the connections without pushing down on the mentioned pins ? I took the habit of touching the side of the pins rather than the top, sometimes just putting the multimeter probe on them makes the contact with the pad underneath (which can be actualy broken).

Did you try pushing down on those chips too ? Sometimes you can get changes in the video output and get clues on what's going on.

The odd thing is that ZMC2 is obviously getting data from the cart since the sprite shapes are good, but the colors are messed up and there's those vertical lines every 2 pixels.
I'd suggest checking the connections from ZMC2 to the cart slots but I'm not sure if the chips are routed the same as on the MV2B:
http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-257 (first 2 chips, all the CR signals to the cartridge slot: http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge_pinout).

If those are good too, then it might be something between LSPC2 and B1. There's only 10 connections: http://wiki.neogeodev.org/images/7/74/Mv1fs-page2.jpg

For the sound problem it's unrelated. I'm not sure how the boot up sound is made, but it might be something to do with the YM2610's analog output. Does the coin-in sounds in games work ?

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Try to run ram test, set all 7 dip switch on and switch on the system, let it run 5 mins and see if errors appares. If not try to clean better cartridge connector and board connectors.

No errors at all, let it run for 10mins (WORK RAM TEST am I correct?) nothing...as for the cleaning the board was full of dust and tape and stuff on it, removed the battery and gave it a good clean with soap, afterwards compressor to remove extra water and cleaned the cart contacts with isoclean, its 100% some bad traces just need to find the culprit now!

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
No problem :)
Might be a rude remark, but did you make sure to check the connections without pushing down on the mentioned pins ? I took the habit of touching the side of the pins rather than the top, sometimes just putting the multimeter probe on them makes the contact with the pad underneath (which can be actualy broken).

Did you try pushing down on those chips too ? Sometimes you can get changes in the video output and get clues on what's going on.

The odd thing is that ZMC2 is obviously getting data from the cart since the sprite shapes are good, but the colors are messed up and there's those vertical lines every 2 pixels.
I'd suggest checking the connections from ZMC2 to the cart slots but I'm not sure if the chips are routed the same as on the MV2B:
http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=NEO-257 (first 2 chips, all the CR signals to the cartridge slot: http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=MVS_cartridge_pinout).

If those are good too, then it might be something between LSPC2 and B1. There's only 10 connections: http://wiki.neogeodev.org/images/7/74/Mv1fs-page2.jpg

For the sound problem it's unrelated. I'm not sure how the boot up sound is made, but it might be something to do with the YM2610's analog output. Does the coin-in sounds in games work ?

Not rude at all Sir :) first of all I told you I got no idea about fixing MVS boards so anything that springs to mind, might be of help and secondly yeah I did think about that originally, in fact what I did, before I cleaned the board, was tested it and of course, the gfx glitches showed up, so first thing I did was to gently push the chips down , 1 time on the centre and then on the sides...that brought no luck :S I might maybe give it a try 2morrow with ALL the chips because I was doing that randomly with all the chips, I did however try more than once on the ZMC2 because it looked like the one that legs have the most "wear and tear" or "corrosion" whatever u may call it... what you call that btw?? I`ll have a look 2morrow morning early on the links you posted in the thread, in the mean time here are some pics, showing the original condition of the board (maybe could get hints which points were the most severe and then after a good cleaning)
Also channelmaniac asked me to post some pics, especially of the ZMC2 (and in fact if you see the pics of when the board was still dirty, looks like there was something sticky, however it didnt look like a leak from the battery)
link to pics of board + close ups on the 3 chips mentioned so far in the thread http://www.use.com/4cbb2f11c4ef07afe02a#photo=1

Last edited:

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective

Re-double checked was starting to jump wtih joy cos I tot ZMC2 pin 5 to LSPC2-A2 pin 147 wasnt making contact! but I was wrong it looks fine -_-

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective

Hmm tested the 10 connections between the LSPC2-A2 and the Neo-B1, afaican tell they are all fine, but those schematics are a really pain to read, in fact most of the time I was guessing the numbers, trying to find the appropriate trace contact to contact roughly, and then verifying with the number on the schematics, since they are really barely legible! As for the other pinouts u mentioned earlier NEO-257 via the Cart slots, I was getting a bit mixed up, cos each cart has 60 pins, in lenght, and then another set of pins facing it, thats 120, and of course, the neo carts have to cards inside, so double that, and make it 240....so I couldnt find my way around easily, and to make it worst, I dunno if all the MV board do or not, but since this is a 2slot, there are 2 Neo-257 and of course 2 slots for carts... so by trying with trial and error was basically hopeless for my skill. And I am not 100% sure if the pinouts are corrects, could it be I was doing it wrong or maybe they are slightly different from my board?

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective

Bah stupid me, forgot was trying the MV2FS on my cab, which has an MV1FZ and the jamma connector is wired on mono (only 1 speaker on the cab and the MV1FZ is mono tru the harness) tried a pair of pc speakers in the jack, sound is perfect, so has nothing to do the graphical problem....
As I said earlier will test the connections from 2 NEO-257 chips to the cart connections hope its something from there....

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective

?

Hmmm I dont think they correspond to this motherboard... eg. NEO-257 Pin64 leads to card pin no.23 :S

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
blehhh.... dunno why I didnt think about this before....damn i`m starting to think everyday like Patrick Star (does he actually think?)
I had a unibios by razoola on this 2 slot, forgot that bypasses all errors, like calendar errors etc, I swapped it with my MV1FZ bios (toshiba) should it work fine with another`s mobo bios or it gives errors?
SO... in a few words do these error codes have to do with not being the original bios or because the bios has found the fault and is not booting up to crosshatch? (the unibios 2.0 works fine on both boards)
Error codes are

without game inserted
COLOR RAM BANK0 ERROR

ADDRESS WRITE READ
000400000 0000 0010

and

with game cart inserted
COLOR RAM BANK0 ERROR

ADDRESS WRITE READ
00400000 AAAA AABA

for me they do not make any sense at all but someone knows what is the problem maybe??

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Yeah,

There are 2 SRAM chips down near the JAMMA connector - 64k SRAMs. One of them has a bad connection on pin 13 or is a defective chip.

Wolfie79

Quiz Detective
Yeah,

There are 2 SRAM chips down near the JAMMA connector - 64k SRAMs. One of them has a bad connection on pin 13 or is a defective chip.

Hmmp thanks for the fast reply, any clue whats the number on the chips? I think better I should send a picture huh cos this is the 2nd revision and the name/types might vary?

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Damn bank gave me another CC so my hosting provider shut things down when they couldn't renew on my stored card. Sigh. Site will be back up soon.