Need clarification on mvs mobo compatibility with superguns, etc

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
Pretty new to arcade hardware ownership, so hopefully I won't mangle questions or terminology too much.

So, I'm aware that - for example - MVS cabinets aren't 100% JAMMA compatible and trying to use a JAMMA pcb in an MVS cabinet...or an MVS mobo in a JAMMA cabinet is problematic because of the differences in the pinout (mono vs stereo audio, etc).

...but is that ONLY for multislot mvs boards? It seems like it from what I see on hardmvs (http://www.hardmvs.com/html/PCBcompare.htm)

IE, (other than using unused jamma buttons for D-button, etc) are single slot MVS mobos 100% JAMMA compatible?

For example, I have a friend who has a supergun he built for use with CPS2 hardware, would I be able to safely (I wouldn't want to risk his hardware in the slightest) plug a single-slot MVS mobo into his supergun? Controller setup issues aside, anyways.

malignantpoodle

Robert Garcia's Butler
A supergun running CPS2 boards will run a one slot as both are JAMMA. I believe all of the one slot boards are jamma. CPS2 uses a kick harness for the extra buttons.

In any case, to answer your question, yes you can plug a 1 slot into the supergun... controller issues aside.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
Thanks, I appreciate the reply.

It may seem silly, but trying to be cautious (it'd be pretty awkward to damage a friends' hardware through ignorance!) and some places talk about the stuff with juuuust enough ambiguity to create some doubt. For example, some of the places that sell the adapters to let you use multislot boards in JAMMA cabs (And jamma games in MVS cabs) don't always explicitly say "MULTISLOT mvs boards" etc.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If the supergun is made correctly, it will have no problems play both JAMMA and MVS pinout.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
If the supergun is made correctly, it will have no problems play both JAMMA and MVS pinout.

Yeah, the problem is I'm the 3rd or so owner and don't know much about its construction except what I've pieced together. I bought it from someone on system11 and it's not even quite as described (he mistook a db9 port meant for kick harness for VGA output, ack).

I know some superguns have a manual switch for stereo/mono (I assume to deal with mvs vs jamma pinouts) - but is what you're saying about handling both different than that?

edit: well, the above info aside, I should note mostly asking as far as using my 1slot mvs mobo on a friends' supergun. In that sense it's not "made correctly" because he never planned on it doing anything with anything but cps2 I think. Actually I'm not even sure he does anything with the audio pins at all to be honest because I know he takes the audio directly from the CPS2 boards anyways, but that's incidental more than planned, I suppose.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Oh no, there is another member on here that bought one from someone on the same forum that is also having problems. I hope this isn't the same builder.

Fayk

Cheng's Errand Boy
Just to clarify, I wouldn't say I have 'problems' - it's just that the item was misdescribed by the seller (who is not the original owner) - and the builder (fire-bug) has been MIA from there for years I think.

As far as I can tell beyond the mis-described feature set, it's fine, not broken or problematic afaik... though I haven't hooked up audio yet nor tried component. It's supposedly a neobitz 2.0 encoder. Since I expected VGA was ready to hook to my monitor, don't really have anything w/ component (other than my HDTV in another room, etc) - but I might try to hook it up through something like one of those RGB->VGA encoders. (I bought one recently, unrelated to this)

Thanks for all the help, Xian Xi.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know some superguns have a manual switch for stereo/mono (I assume to deal with mvs vs jamma pinouts) - but is what you're saying about handling both different than that?

Forgot to answer this.

On a supergun, usually the stereo/mono switch is already attenuated with a voltage divider circuit usually consisting of just 2 resistors. A correctly made switch will make jamma boards dual mono when switched to stereo and MVS pinout will be full stereo. Even if it's only wired for mono sound, you will still get one channel of sound from MVS.