New VHDL code with NEO-CTO function code: fix the scaling problems on Super MVS converter

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kyuusaku posted on the neo geo dev wiki a verilog code for the NEO-CTO, the chipset that controls the graphics on the Neo Geo.

This is good news for every Super MVS converter owner.
If the code is worked out to fit on the CPLD chip you could easily flash yours and get rid of the scaling problem.

Here's the link for the wiki:

Code:
http://wiki.neogeodev.org/index.php?title=PRO-CT0

Here's the link for the code:
Code:
http://wiki.neogeodev.org/images/e/ea/Ct0.zip

Here's my request for the NeoFlash team:
Code:
http://www.neoflash.com/forum/index.php/topic,7442.0.html

This is great news :))

NeoTurfMasta

DANCE DANCE KARNOV!,
20 Year Member
Very cool, I'd love to upgrade my first run Neoteam converter.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
that what im talking about ...more opensource/comunity helping instead of im going to charge a fortune for this .

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Does this mean my Daedalus is about to significantly depreciate? :p :)

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
DSC01240.JPG

Or you can just swap the CPDL chipset for a real one from a junk mvs motherboard :)
It will also work 100%

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does this mean my Daedalus is about to significantly depreciate? :p :)

Nope. You guys are forgetting that you still need to put the work in to make the converter 100% compatible. Scaling was only an issue with some P1s and all SMVSC2s. Don't forget about the other issues.

As for the Neo flash team, are they going to offer the fix for free? They should, at least that will fix ONE of the problems with their converter.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Nope. You guys are forgetting that you still need to put the work in to make the converter 100% compatible. Scaling was only an issue with some P1s and all SMVSC2s. Don't forget about the other issues.

As for the Neo flash team, are they going to offer the fix for free? They should, at least that will fix ONE of the problems with their converter.

What are the others?

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Yeah, I'm serious.

I'm aware the converter only work on a few models and the scaling problems but as far as I know on the systems it work, it only had the scaling problems.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Scaling Issues
Compatibility Issues with newer titles and NGDEV games.
MSX Fix not implemented, in fact Neo Flash team mislead everyone that bought the converter to think MSX would work on their system if they bought the additional PSU which has been proven to not be the fix.

And probably some others.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
All those issues are related to graphics, which those 2 methods will fix.

"I was able to get it fixed by fine adjusting the pot on the converter."

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Fixing graphics would not address the sound volume issue I consistently experienced on more than one console with KOF 2002. There will always be random issues here and there with this convertor. Just not that reliable of a product.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Thanks, Alec, I'm going to check if this problem exist on mine.

I want to have a flawless converter so I'm fixing everything here with help of a few very experienced people.

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
that what im talking about ...more opensource/comunity helping instead of im going to charge a fortune for this .
Well if someone decides to use it in their project I do expect some compensation since it is the elusive key ingredient to making MVS converters as well as new AES carts and this kind of work is my livelihood. Donations are highly appreciated since nobody would sponsor its release, the offers I received were absolutely pathetic so I had just been sitting on it for two years.

When I get around to it I'll try to fix my V2 SMVSCII, and if it goes smoothly I might offer this service to others, more likely than not I won't.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
if its open source then you wont be compensated. there is no one to compensate you. so is this release under what license?

Last edited:

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
The people to compensate me are the people who use or appreciate my work, how difficult is that?

The design is released under the "do the right thing" license, consider it a gift to the community for educational purposes. I didn't draft a real license because for the most part it's pointless to; licenses will be violated and I don't plan to chase ignorant, exploitative assholes online.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
the license you post is problematic to using this.

all i want is something diy so everyone can build one or a group buy for cheap on a convertor. but this vagueness seems to be a problem

please forgive my ignorence. i have no intention of stealing from you. i just want something we the comunity can work on without somewhere down the rtoad being slaped with a long letter head

Last edited:

Kyuusaku

B. Jenet's Firstmate
To using what? The burden of compensation falls on whomever is making carts/converters or wants to support the effort. It's also entirely relative. If someone makes carts/converters at cost, which they won't, I would be happy with a shoutout. If they sell a $400 converter or original AES game, I expect a little more.

And actually such a converter is not a problem, they've been planned by myself and others for a long time, I've just been lazy about production.

werejag

Galford's Poppy Trainer
im idea im looking for pcbs to be made at about cost and a parts kit. aka something we can deal with. not make a fortune on your hard work. if we use it the community sure a shout out is in store.

Fandangos

Hardened Shock Trooper
Kyuusako put a lot of work on this and I believe every human being understand his point.

As a matter of close speculation, the free converter would cost in parts $40 or so.
If you sell for $60 you have enough margin for profit and for a donation to the man behind your product.
Besides, $60 on the Neo Scene is really cheap and would sell like water. Either way, don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Last edited: