Cyber Lip audio issue on AES intro

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Has anyone ever struck this before??

The first half of the speech is all just a jumble of shit sounds, then the last half is perfect. The end of level music is rooted, and the Game Over screen is also shagged, as is the last half of the high score screen music. All ingame sounds work without fault, and the guy talking between levels seems to work fine also.

Ive tested it on 2 AES consoles and its the same on both.

Last time i used it was quite a while ago, and it was fine then...

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Dirty cart contacts?

Could be a bad sound rom also.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Could be either cracked solder joints, dirty contacts, bad TTL chips or bad rom.

NEO-GEO man

Well it is most certainly not dirty contacts, i opened the cart to clean it when the first cleaning didnt solve the issue. I also redid all the solder joints on all the V ROMs and the M1 ROM, with no change. The boards are in perfect condition cause the cart isnt that old in terms of use ( was new condition when i bought it about 18 months ago.... )

There is no question that its the cart, ive been playing the 3-5 all day, played 9 different games now, and that was the only one that didnt work, so i tested it in the 3-6 and same issue, tested Super Spy and Ghost Pilots on the 3-6 and both perfect.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Check the 174s and the 139 if the AES cart has them.

NEO-GEO man

Yeah it does, i dont remember how to test them though, been a long time since i tested one of those....

NEO-GEO man

I dont have one, i used to test them with a multi meter set to frequency. I have only ever tested them on a 4 slotter top board...

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
It sounds like a problem with the v21 ROM or the connections to it. Does the intro dialog only work from "The federal government installed a supercomputer..."?. First half of the dialog comes from that ROM along with some sounds you're talking about.

NEO-GEO man

Yes mate, spot on, thats exactly where the speech goes back to normal. Thanks very much for that, it narrows it down a hell of alot!! Ill have a look soon and see what i can find.

NEO-GEO man

Well i took the chip out and check under it, all seems fine, i have no way to test the chip though. Put it back in and resoldered, still same issue. Is it likely to be that V21 ROM chip or one of the logic chips? Id figure more towards the chip its self, since im still getting some sounds from it...

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
A bank of 4x 174 chips or the 139/04 can be the problem. v21 gets inputs from x4 174 (most of them) and the 139 for enabling (just 1). v21 data outputs go straight to the cart connector and the 04 is needed for the 174 control. Any of those being bad can ruin sound like this. Most of the sound will still be good even without working v2x since that bank of ROMs is only used by 1 channel.

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
A bank of 4x 174 chips or the 139/04 can be the problem. v21 gets inputs from x4 174 (most of them) and the 139 for enabling (just 1). v21 data outputs go straight to the cart connector and the 04 is needed for the 174 control. Any of those being bad can ruin sound like this. Most of the sound will still be good even without working v2x since that bank of ROMs is only used by 1 channel.

I agree, if you don't have a logic probe perhaps the best approach would be to replace all of the 74LS ICs that are connected to the V ROMs

NEO-GEO man

That seems like alot of work!!! I might try them 1 at a time...

mjs256

Kula's Candy
10 Year Member
That seems like alot of work!!! I might try them 1 at a time...

Yes one at a time would be fine, too. Alternately, here is a test circuit you can build to determine which ones are bad without a removing them and without needing a logic probe:

attachment.php

This circuit would need to be modified to work with bidirectional ICs like 74LS245 or ICs that are not always enabled.

NEO-GEO man

Well its not the LS174s or the LS139. I replaced all 5 doing them 1 at a time, and no change.

NEO-GEO man

Wouldve done that when i had it out, but i dont have anything to do that with!!

What sort of price would it be to get the required stuff to be able to verify and if need be make new ROMs using eproms?

NEO-GEO man

Anyone know?? And some links to everything i need would be great too :)

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
How much do you want to spend? I have a TOP3000 here that does everything neo without adapters. There's a bunch on sale on ebay for about $150. There's cheaper ones without a 48 pin socket so you have to find adapters for most ROMs you find on carts and then weigh up the price saving vs. convenience. There's also the willem programmers but in my experience the money you save isn't worth it even for light hobbyist stuff. The professional grade ones are crazy expensive so the TOP one I have is an alright compromise. The software has lots of engrish but it works fine apart from an issue with the EPROMs used for the BIOS, but that was an issue with my chip choice. The drivers right now are only 32bit though so if you have 64bit Windows that's a problem, but it works fine in XP mode on my 64bit win7 PC.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I own a TOP2049 for all my rom duties. I think mine was about $170 or so but you can always get the cheap willem ones that use the parallel port, they are about $40 I think. Just make sure you get one that can do 42 pin eproms and supports both 8 bit and 16 bit modes.

Edit: Just checked, my TOP2049 back in 2010 was $100 plus $40 shipping.

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

Thanks very much, i was expecting alot more than $150.

I do have win7 x64 on here.

What is the largest size chips you can do with them??

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
Any size EPROM will work on these. They work with 27c322 and that's as big as UV EPROMs get.

e: the V ROMs on the cart are compatible with 27c040 incase you want to try dumping/replacing it

Last edited: