Astro PSU need component ID & cab maintenance

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
My cab is falling apart and I need to put some serious work into it

Guys can you please help me out. I have a black astro power supply that smoked on me a couple of years ago after putting a bill burger pcb in my cab.

Well I finally decided to come back to it and after inspection have found 1 burnt component at location IC3 that may be a 78L05, can some kind soul confirm this.

Also I decided to recap my working silver astro PS which has a different layout than the dead black one, anyone know where I can buy a Astro City PSU rebuild kit. I especially need to replace the -5V regulator

My cab monitor is unbearably dark and adjusting the controls does not help much. Is this something recapping can solve or are we talking a rejuvenation or new monitor

I also need new controls for the cab. What are good replacement button and sticks

Last edited:

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Cap kit should fix the darkness issue.

I would replace the capacitor on your neckboard first though

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Yes, it's likely the 7805 if it was at location IC3.
2012-05-01_19-19-20_260

I'd do a cap kit on the monitor first and see what the results are like. if it's still dark then a rejuvination can't really hurt, it can only help.

My preferred setup on sega cabs is Sanwa JLF sticks and OBSF buttons. Some people swear by seimitsu. Also, your control panel's brackets may limit you to one or the other. 24/30mm buttons should work regardless of manufacturer.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
Ok thanks guys:) I really appreciate the help. Going to get the PS running first as I like to have back ups ready just in case.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Bumping this old thread.

I've got the same issue re: -5v. I was planning on replacing the regulator that was suggested above, but my question is, is the 7805 the original regulator for IC3? I ask because I'd like to run some older boards in my NAC, but I've read that this particular regulator has a under-powered rating at only 500ma.
According to the AO wiki page, "This is not powerful enough for a lot of games that require -5v, most notably Bubble Bobble and Taito G-Net motherboards."
And unfortunately, Bubble Bobble is the actual board I'd like to get running in my cabinet.

Anyone know a higher rated equivalent I can use?

Edit: Whoops, disregard that last question: reading up on the 7805, it looks like the max amp is rated at 1A.

Last edited: