Cps2 blast city display problem

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Hello all, I recently purchased a sf zero 2 board as well as an a board, and after plugging in the jamma harness from my blast city cab, I get sound just fine but instead of a normal picture the game displays in an extremely faint blue instead of any color, there are no problems with the monitor as I have a multigame pcb that displays well using a vga connection, does anybody have any insight they can give a feckless noob.
Thanks

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
do you need to switch to 15k mode? what chassis is it 2930 or 2931?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Its a 2930, its in 15 hz mode, just tried it again and now it just makes faint flashing lights and you can barely make out the sf zero 2 logo moving diagonally down the screen from left to right, where as before I could at least make out the entire intro even if just barely

Last edited:

Tyranix95

Chang's Grocer
Man, I need to get one of these cabs.

Post a pic. So people can see what you're looking at.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I will try to post a pic if I can, my computers are not working so well right now, I got it back to where you can distinguish the game running by pushing the b board down tighter on the a board, but the original problem still exists where it looks like burn in instead of the proper display

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Maybe I should mention my jamma connection is a sega 001 loom if that matters

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Narrowed my problem down as the picture started to get better or worse depending on which way I moved the loom that feeds the monitor from the board next to the power supply, don't know if its a bad or loose connection in a pin or a bad wire as my family room has no lights. I'll have to inspect it further tomorrow when I can get better light, any body have any wisdom they'd like to throw in
Thanks

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Problem solved, new problem now, mods please delete thread

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
No reason to delete the thread. Post what fixed your problem in case someone in the future has the same issue.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
No reason to delete the thread. Post what fixed your problem in case someone in the future has the same issue.

Just unplugged all the stuff on the i/o board next to the power supply to check for loose connections, there weren't any so I plugged everything back in and voila, however a worse problem has arisen, I hit the demag button last night and it killed my cab, and it hasn't powered up since

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Just unplugged all the stuff on the i/o board next to the power supply to check for loose connections, there weren't any so I plugged everything back in and voila, however a worse problem has arisen, I hit the demag button last night and it killed my cab, and it hasn't powered up since

That shouldn't kill the cab unless someone wired something to the chassis.

KaPH33n

Sieger's Squire
Not sure, but I've heard that it can kill the monitor if the ground cable isn't hooked up to the neck board or other grounding is not correct. You can't put on the demag connector backwards, so that's not a problem. Is the machine now playing blind? Like you can boot and coin up and play, just no picture? Or is it completely dead? If completely gone, I would suspect the power supply and not the monitor.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Not sure, but I've heard that it can kill the monitor if the ground cable isn't hooked up to the neck board or other grounding is not correct. You can't put on the demag connector backwards, so that's not a problem. Is the machine now playing blind? Like you can boot and coin up and play, just no picture? Or is it completely dead? If completely gone, I would suspect the power supply and not the monitor.
Not getting anything, marquee does not light up, fan on Power supply does not spin, no sound at all, gonna check the fuses soldered to the power supply with a meter when I get home, but ya nothing even acts like its powering up when I throw the switch

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
If nothing is powering up at all then it is most likely a fuse or a 110v terminal. Start with checking 110v in, then fuses. The Marquee Light should be 110v from a fuse anyway, if it was bad PS the marquee would still technically light up.

Btw, doesn't a Blast City have a PCB door safety switch that cuts power?

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Got the main door switch firmly ziptied, so the marquee should still light up even if the power supply is bad? I tested the output pinout and was getting 120v on the first set of pins, and 12 & 10v on the next two, but on all the other smaller pins I could only get a reading if I went from pin to ground I could not get any readings between any of the smaller pins, which tells me something is wrong with the ps, but what, its alot more complex than the stuff I normally deal with at my job, one of the soldered fuses looks suspect to me but I have not tested it I will after I get home from work. I really appreciate everyones input so keep it coming
Thanks-Chris

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Got the main door switch firmly ziptied, so the marquee should still light up even if the power supply is bad?

I'm not familiar with the Blast, most candies and woodies marquee lights have nothing to do with the PS unless they are unique or LED.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
After testing my jamma harness and not getting any 12 or 5v power I'm about 90% sure my power supply is bad, does anybody know anything about the river services psu?

Last edited:

300wins

Conan The Librarian,
After testing my jamma harness and not getting any 12 or 5v power I'm about 90% sure my power supply is bad, does anybody know anything about the river services psu?

I know it's a powerful beast that isn't a direct drop in. You need to connect some wires from the Blast City power supply into the RS one. It basically sits on top of the Blast City power supply. There are directions on how to do it on their site I believe.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
I know it's a powerful beast that isn't a direct drop in. You need to connect some wires from the Blast City power supply into the RS one. It basically sits on top of the Blast City power supply. There are directions on how to do it on their site I believe.

I saw there directions, looks pretty straight forward but I can't read japanese, I do like how they have a diagram for it.

Fuzzytaco

Long Dong Silver.,
10 Year Member
Problem has been solved, I have know fucking clue how but after fully disassembaling the power supply wiping out all the build up with 90%alcohol checking all the capaciters,resisters, veristers, circuit traces etc and finding no scorch marks, nothing blown, nothing even remotely discolored, I reassembled the thing put it back in to for one last test before I wrote i off and bam! It now works just fine. I feel happy, irritated and frustrated all at the same time(mostly happy though) wish I had some more insights and I hope its not some fluke.
Cheers

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
Sounds like it might have been a loose connection or dirty contact. Glad you fixed the issue. Enjoy.

Mugicha

3t3rn@l n00b,
10 Year Member
I actually just had the same initial problem Fuz had here. I also have a 2930 chassis. I was trying to see if I could hook my dc via vga cable, I tried that a couple times and was unsuccessful, however when I tried to hook up a jamma board again the screen was flipping all over the place just as the op described. Also did just like Fuz did, and moved the wires on the 001 loom around and got it to settle down enough to play with the settings and get it to back to normal. Funny thing is with all the playing around the monitor picture actually looks better than it did before lol.

I'm assuming that this has something to do with going back and forth between the vga and jamma edge. Not sure exactly what though, need to do some more testing with the vga, I've yet to see it in action.