Neo Geo AES no background picture

Martyr

n00b
Hello,

I'm a new proud Neo Geo AES owner, but now I got a problem.

Yesterday the console worked perfect, but today things started to get weird. At the Unibios start-up screen the NEO GEO logo is missing, this also happens on the second screen.

In game I have sound and health bars (Fatal Fury 2), but no picture.

The serial number is 48xxx and is a 3-4 revision.

Does anybody know a fix for this problem?

20120609191044.jpg

20120609190927.jpg

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
I'm reminded of a post by Nightmare Tony:

[Video RAM error,] That is the most common failure on the Neo Geo board and is caused by a voltage spike. Check your power supply while you are at it.

If the error gets past but you get text but no graphics, then check for a burned bubble on the ROM-L0 scalar rom.

Beyond that, a dead duck of a game, add in LSPC-A0 as well....(but if you can get the error, methinks lspc is ok to a point :)

Martyr

n00b
So, does this mean my Neo Geo has gone to better places, or can it still be fixed?

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
If you get no Video RAM error of any sort, check the ROM-L0 chip like Nightmare Tony says, with a logic probe to see if it's still doing anything. Might not be a bad idea to test the traces for that chip too...

You're not using a UniBIOS by any chance are you?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What color is the screen with no cart inserted with the power on?

Martyr

n00b
Screen is white when I power on with no cartride, but first it shows white with black vertical lines. The console has Unibios 3.0.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
I've heard the UniBIOS can bypass things like a VRAM error.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It's an unspoken thing that white means video ram error.

Try another game to confirm it.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Also make sure you clean your slot good. Use a cloth wrapped around a credit card with some contact cleaner.

Martyr

n00b
I have tried with other games but the problem still returns. The console has Unibios 3.0, could this fix anything? Also, when I startup the Unibios menu, it goes directly to the Memory card manager. The cleaning with credit card and cloth did not make any difference.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I have tried with other games but the problem still returns. The console has Unibios 3.0, could this fix anything?

So did you or did you not clean the slots? If the other games have the same problem why not clean the slots, they all use the same slots. If you want to send your console out to be repaired and pay some one to possibly only clean the slot for $50-75 that's up to you.

Martyr

n00b
I have cleaned the slot in the console with the credit card in a cloth, but it made no difference. I looked at the slots with a LED light and there aren't any broken or bended conections either. Also the Unibios goes directly to the memory card manager in white letters, not the usual green Unibios menu.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Don't have a mem card in the system when you boot.

Martyr

n00b
I do not have a memory card (yet), the only things plugged in were AC, AV and a controller.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So when you power on it doesn't boot the game now, it just goes to Unibios mem manager?

Martyr

n00b
The memory manager appears when I start up and push A, B, C and D for the Unibios menu. When I power up without pushing the buttons, the console boots the game, but without the logo's and "background" picture.

smkdan

Galford's Armourer
A+B+C+D shows memcard manager. A+B+C shows the menu. See here. What color shows up when A+B+D is pressed? You must do that to run h/w tests according to the docs.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
It's an unspoken thing that white means video ram error.

Try another game to confirm it.
Hmmmm i dont know about that... My 3-5 with a UniBIOS 3.0 is white if i turn it on with no cart, and it works flawless!!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Hmmmm i dont know about that... My 3-5 with a UniBIOS 3.0 is white if i turn it on with no cart, and it works flawless!!

That's why it's unspoken. It's was never confirmed but since the white screen isn't documented it is an error since all tests passed is blue. Full on video ram error is yellow btw.

NEO-GEO man

I know about the colours yeah i read them from your site a long time ago ( thankyou for putting them on there by the way ;) ), but this thing WAS blue screen prior to the UniBIOS being installed, i installed it, been white ever since. It works without a hitch mate, there is no partial failure there let me assure you of that ;)

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I know about the colours yeah i read them from your site a long time ago ( thankyou for putting them on there by the way ;) ), but this thing WAS blue screen prior to the UniBIOS being installed, i installed it, been white ever since. It works without a hitch mate, there is no partial failure there let me assure you of that ;)

It happens on systems without the Unibios as well, I've seen it myself.

Martyr

n00b
Sorry, my bad! When I push A,B and C the Unibios starts up in green like normal, but without the NEO GEO logo. When I push A, B, D the following appears: AN ERROR IN YOUR NEO GEO SYSTEM HAS BEEN DETECTED IN THE FOLLOWING REGION! VIDEO RAM REGION ADRS 000080000 WR 5555 RE FFFF.
Is this a common problem and can it be fixed in some way?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Time to open your console. Check the Video RAM for any broken/corroded traces. Since it was working the other day I'm pretty sure the RAM is just going bad. I think in a 3-4 the video RAM should be connected to the LSPC2. You should see traces connecting to them.

Martyr

n00b
Here is a picture of the LSPC2. I don't see any bad or corroded traces.
20120610113124.jpg

On the otherside of the board the traces look ok to.
20120610121339.jpg

Last edited:

NEO-GEO man

What are those extra wires going to?? Youve got 2 pins on the BIOS that dont look to be soldered in too well, but is hard to see in those small pics. Might not even be an issue, i dont know what those pins do.

It happens on systems without the Unibios as well, I've seen it myself.
Oh ok, have you ever seen a UniBIOS console come up i blue with no cart though?? Ive only done two AESs and both were blue prior, both are white now, but both work beautifully. Infact i just spent 7 hours playing the 3-5 ;)