AES Controller Issue

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Having an issue with an AES controller that came with the system I purchased a couple of days ago. Like Derek Zoolander, my controller cannot go left if you pull the joystick all the way left but if you only pull it half way to the left, it works perfectly so I'm thinking whatever the issue is (hopefully) should be an easy fix. I'm assuming someone out there had a similar issue. If so, how did you fix it? Or am I SOL and in need of a new controller?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You need to open up the controller, most likely it needs to be cleaned and regreased.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
At the very worst, you will need to replace the microswitch for left, that is very easy to do, and they are very cheap to buy. If you replace them and they are a different brand, id replace all 4, and i would use a very good quality one, otherwise youll find the controller will require you to push some directions further than others.

I have seen these same microswitches do this in loads of applications, where they will change state when pushed abit, then revert when pushed in all the way.

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
I tried to google and search for on this forum for the follow-up question I'm about to ask but was unsuccessful, so: How does one open up an AES controller? It has one screw on the middle/bottom and then doesn't seem like it wants to come apart other than that. I tried applying a bit more pressure to get it open but was unsuccessful and then stopped last night fearing I would break it (this was prior to posting this thread). Is there an easy way to get this open? At this point I'm assuming it involves a screwdriver or something else small to wedge into the controller to assist in prying it open. If so, what part would you suggest I wedge it in that would be less prone to breakage? Thanks for the help so far! Sounds like I'll go with the cleaning/regreasing first and if that doesn't work, I'll ask NEO-GEO man some more general questions since I'm not the most technically inclined person on the planet.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
As is customary, the screws are under the four pads in the corners. You should slow down and be more careful before you break something inside.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, just pull the rubber pads off. Once you have fixed the controller, get some new rubber from Xian Xi.

NEO-GEO man

Fake account, shill troll for Christophe Ratel. Us
Depending on the pads that are there, some will come off easily, and can easily be reused, others will shred apart.

BizMarkie82

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Much appreciated, everyone. Now hopefully I'll get some free time tonight to take a look at the controller. Thanks again!