Last Blade!

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I've had the UK version of this game for about two weeks and I think it's just fantastic! Both LB1 and 2 are in this little cartridge, and all the hidden stuff to unlock is going to have me playing for some time! I didn't think anything would be as good as SVC:MOTM or Faselei, but Last Blade is right up there with them! The only bad thing about the game is no playable Juzo or Shikiyo/Mukuro (although they are playable in mini games). Great job SNK!

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'YAMINI MESSEO!'

[This message has been edited by Taiso (edited March 13, 2001).]

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
I like your username Taiso.

Did you take it from Giant Robo by any chance?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
It IS from Giant Robo, one of my favorite anime series of all time, along with Berserk, Gundam (Universal Century only), Evangelion and Ninja Ressurection (I hope they finish the damn thing someday).

I started using it back in the good old days of AOL 3.0, when everybody used screen names with great secretive fervor. It just stuck, I guess.

Very astute eye for anime, Ash
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
Well I don't know that much about anime but I'm a massive fan of Giant Robo. I'm constantly on the lookout for anything to do with the series but there isn't that much out there.

I also like Ninja Scroll and Tenchi Muyo.

Taiso is a pretty cool character but I think Murusame is the best.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Murasame's cool, but Taiso would LITERALLY wipe the floor with him in a fight. Of course, Murasame would just keep coming back and back and back.....

Anyway, glad to see fellow Giant Robo fans out there.

So...Last Blade. Pretty cool, huh
smile.gif
?

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso
'Because of my bloody life, it was no accident that I was involved in the troubles...'

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
I've never actually played Last Blade. I've played samurai Shodown and that's pretty good but Last Blade does look a lot better.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I think they're basically the same thing, except with a different look. Oh, and SS has animal sidekicks. LB's style of play might be more inviting to newer gamers, but SSIV plays a lot like the speed mode in LB if you ask me. They're equally good, in my opinion.

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
So do you think I should get Last Blade 2 for Dreamcast?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Hells yes!

It's a great version of the neo game. I picked it up and I haven't regretted it one bit. A worthy investment all around.

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso

S

Silent_Scope

It's weird that I don't like LB 2 style fighting game even on DC but I'm totally addicted to card game.

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
The Hanafuda game IS very addicting, I must admit. And since I actually know how to play Hanafuda, that makes the LB version all the more interesting, too. Of course, Hanafuda is best played with three people, but two can make for a very cutthroat match. Then again, against the computer, it's going to come down to that anyway, right
smile.gif
?

But...why don't you like LB? If you don't mind me asking, that is...

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso

Ash

Bashful Lurker, ,
Is the Hanafuda game in the Dc version or the NGPC version?

S

Silent_Scope

How do you play that card game? Tell me how coz I'm addicting to it every night. I just guess a lot but still very addicting.
I don't know why but just don't like LB very much. Fighting system is weird. Personally I prefer hand-to-hand combat (like Street Fighter or KOF) instead of weapon one.

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Ash-

The Hanafuda game is in the DC version of LB2. It is available after you beat the game once with any character. There is a demo viewer in the game that allows you to watch all the cinema sequences, staff rolls, cutscenes and character endings without having to play through the game. By beating the game with a character, you unlock all their demos. If you beat the hanafuda game with a given character, you unlock their LB1 ending and can view it in the demo mode. You can also watch all the cutscenes and cinemas from LB1 as well. They're grainy, and appear to have been captured using FMV techniques, but at least they're available.

Silent_Scope-

Hanafuda is a complicated game to explain in this forum, but I'll give it a shot. Here goes.

A Hanafuda deck consists of 48 cards, seperated into 12 suits of four cards each. Each of the suits represents one month of the year. A full game is concluded when 12 hands, one for each month, has been played, and is best played with three people. The winner is the one that won the most hands. The key to being victorious at Hanafuda is learning which cards are a part of which suits. Check out the gallery mode to study the cards better. You can look at them in greater detail than when playing the game, and they're in order according to suits. The first four cards in the gallery are the first suit, and so on.

The point of basic Hanafuda is a lot like Go Fish or War. If a card in your hand matches the same suit as one on the discard table, you draw the match and it's worth points at the end of the hand. You then draw a card from the remaining stack and if it matches with a discard you take it. If it doesn't, you discard it. The way you match up the suits in normal Hanafuda is by the tree, flower, or plant on the card. For example, January is represented by pine trees. Therefore, the four cards with pine trees on them are all part of the same suit. It's the same rule with all of them, except November. There's a wierd red card, called Rain or Flood in traditional Hanafuda, that is part of the November suit, which is the most valuable suit in the game because they're worth the most points. A willow tree is the symbol of November on all the cards EXCEPT Rain. In LB, the Rain card is red and has Awakened Kaede on it with lightning in the background.

That's basic Hanafuda. Too bad you don't play that version in LB2
smile.gif
. The game you're playing in LB2 is a variant of Hanafuda called Eighty Eight. In Eighty Eight, play stops when a certain combination of cards come into the possession of one of the players, who wins the hand. Eighty Eight is a lot more hectic, exciting and fast paced than basic Hanafuda. The trick is to always go for the most powerful cards as quickly as possible. For example, the combination of the three cards of Moriya with the red moon, Kagami sitting on his throne, and Lee dancing with the dragon head, are powerful, and instantly do five points of damage to your enemy. Likewise, all of the Tanzaku (ribbon) cards of the same type (purple, red, or with writing) captured by the same player equate to big damage.

Once you have a combination, you can choose to inflict your damage right then and there, or you can choose to withhold in the hopes of getting another combination to inflict even greater damage. In other words, if I hold off my five point combo and draw another five point combo two turns later, I can now do ten points to my opponent! The upside of this style of play is greater skill and bigger damage. The downside is that the longer you wait, the more opportunity you give the computer to hit you before you can 2X combo him and the more opportunity you give him to take cards that prevent you from getting the double goozle
smile.gif

You can also do damage when you acquire a certain number of a type of card. For example, five of any of the more powerful cards will allow you to do damage, as will ten of the basic cards. Damage is low in these cases (as I'm sure you have seen), and is the result of not being able to get a more efficient combo, but it's better than doing nothing or drawing (AYUJI!!).

Anyway, to learn which combos do the most, study the cards in gallery mode and watch the computer as he inflicts damage on you with those same combinations. Eventually, you'll know what cards to go for from the outset.

Hope that helps
smile.gif

And as far as fighting games goes, I don't necessarily like sword fighting games but I'm into feudal eastern culture. If Soul Calibur didn't have ninjas, samurai and chinese martial arts in them I probably wouldn't care much. But SS and LB, being a huge fan of samurai literature, history and cinema, are right up my alley. I'm still a bigger fan of KOF and FF, but not by much
smile.gif

------------------
hanzo.gif

Taiso