Monitor sparks out the back and makes a snap sound when powered on

bryan

Geese's Thug
I just bought a Capcom Big Blue and the monitor sparks and makes a crackle or kinda of a snap sound when powered on. I have heard it could be a bad fly back and or HOT. Is it OK to run it like this till I get around to fixing it?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
im no expert, but when electronics spark when turned on, i would say no. its not ok.

bryan

Geese's Thug
Ya I was kinda figuring that, but I at least have to turn it on to show the problem.

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
Is it sparking constantly or just when you turn it on?

Dion

It hasn't completely failed yet. Can you see where the spark is jumping from on the fly. They make a sealant for minor current leaks like this one that you may want to try first.

bryan

Geese's Thug
It seems like it is coming straight back from the neck board or neck tube area about 1 and a half inch maybe, I will have to go take another look.

Last edited:

Dion

Hmm. If its coming from the neckboard its probably not the fly.

bryan

Geese's Thug
I can make a QuickTime video with an old camera I have, it won't have sound but should show problem pretty good. I will have to try to figure out a way to upload it though. I was thinking about starting a YouTube account just for this. Can YouTube upload QuickTime? I called the local TV repair man and left a message hopefully he can get back to me Monday too. Anyway I will try to get the video done and uploaded tomorrow.

EDIT: Just made my YouTube account and it will take the video, expect a full showing tomorrow.

Last edited:

Dion

Don't trust TV repair guys. The last two arcade machines i picked up were nonworking and the local guy told them it was the monitor and in both cases it was not.

What model is the monitor?

The King Prawn

Marked Wolf
Well if it is actually sparking (and not just making a snapping sound) then I would assume you could remove the neckboard and visually see something that is "amiss", something like a burn mark where something is arcing.

I agree, tele repair people wont/can't help you with this situation. Hell, they haven't "helped" people since we were watching Father Knows Best.

Dion

My first impression would be to look for a disconnected DAG wire between the neckboard and the grounding strap. Especially if it is a K7000 or similar.

bryan

Geese's Thug
Here is a pic of the area
file.php
and link to video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YulzzU2k5e0&feature=youtu.be My model number is WG25K7193 I need to try to get a better video but if you pause right then you can kinda see it.

Last edited:

bryan

Geese's Thug
Here is a still from the video got from a pic of the computer screen.
file.php

Last edited:

bryan

Geese's Thug
I just e-mailed bob roberts to try and get one with a hot and cap kit. I am also trying to get a local guy to help put them in. Any one in the Springfield Missouri area?

Last edited:

channelmaniac

Mr Neo Fix-it
15 Year Member
Dude... if you can solder 2 wires together you can do a cap kit and flyback replacement.

Seriously. It's that easy.

Spike Spiegel

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
It's the flyback for sure. It's easy for you and I, but I can understand it overwhelming people. The horse shoe connection and tons of solder they use on those legs would be a royal pain in his ass, too.

With that said, I'd much rather do flyback replacements then cap kits. Lot less tedious.

Dion

It'll be a good learning experience. The annoying thing is usually seating the new fly since they don't usually line up very well. K7000 cap kits are very easy also. If you have any soldering experience you can do it yourself. If not, just watch the local guy do it a few times first. BTW, with those new flys you will need to turn up the screen pot on the fly to get a picture once you turn it on. It will be completely black on screen at first.