Do You Have Any Other Handhelds? & How Do You Rate Them Against Your NGPC.?

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Well I do Love my NGPC, But I've just got a Nomad, and I've Got to say, Its F**KING AMAZING! And what is more, we never had them released in the E.U. You lot dont know how lucky you are!
Any Thoughts?

neogeostore

Overtop Pathfinder
Yeah, the Nomad is awesome. I really think Nintendo missed out on making megatons of money by not making a portable SNES. By the way, the Game Gear is great, too. Do you have one of those? Actually, do you have a Game Axe? That's the portable NES.

Tom
http://www.neogeostore.com

Shuuchan

Crossed Swords Squire
Ive always wanted a Nomad but was never willing to shell out the cash cuz I can still just playem on my Genesis. Ive also gotta Game Gear and Game Boy Color. I rate my Game Gear pretty well against my neo actually. The graphics are in some ways BETTER the NGPCS(Its got 16 colors a sprite NGPCs got 4) Compare Sonic on NGPC to Game Gear. As for my GBC well it kinda sucks but Mario DX is great fun.
-Shuuchan

oi-punx

Stakes Winner
The nomad is a very cool machine, but it sucks batteries like you wouldn't believe, same for the Turboexpress. I remember when the nomad was on closeout for $49.00. I just got back from a trip with my girlfriend and played her Neo Geo Pocket Color for some time. It is very comfortable with a huge screen. I'd have to say that for portability the NGPC wins. Graphics wise though the nomad wins hands down. The express, was way ahead of it's time, and worth owning if your an NEC fan. Just my $.02

Metal Slug

Handheld Hitter,
Neogeostore:: A Portable NES!!!!! is that one of those 3rd party (I thought they were fictonal) ones? Where did you get it, How much, do they have any more? What is it like? etc, etc. I paid £140.00 for my Nomad, which is about $200.00, Extortion or what! Still not as bad as Telegames UK who want £200.00 each, which is about $280.00. Which brings me to why I dont own a Turbo Express, The only place to get any games in the U.K is Telegames. And add to that, if you do decide to buy anything from them they are just as likley to up the price when you ring them to order it. And if you suggest that they should honour the prices they advertise, you get told 'if you dont like the price, buy it elsewhere'. Buying unusual import video games in the U.K is HELL! But I would love a portable NES! are there any pics on the web?

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
I don't recommend buying that NES handheld. I believe it's called Game Axe or what not. I have heard some unflattering reports about the quality of the brand. But, maybe some one here can shed more light on the product.

So far, I think I have all the portable systems except Wanderswan. Out of all the "true" system, NGCP still blows away the competition--that is until GBA arrives. Systems like Turbo Express and Nomad are not true consoles (as they are just portable versins using the same software), and is unfair to put NGCP against them. For ex, even though Turbo Express was released like 8 yrs ago, it uses an active matrix (great w/ the TV add on). Compare that with a reflective screen for NGCP (actually an ok move, since it will save alot of batteries). Both Turbo Express & Nomad eats batteries like no one's business. Even if the system is a 8 bit, out of all the handhelds, I consider Turbo Express the greatest handheld so far.

BTW, does anyone have the TV add on for Game Gear? God, what an awful product. Great idea and even though it has a bigger screen, GG didn't have the capability to be used as a TV like Turbo Express. Believe it or not, I am fairly sure that it uses a LOW resolution. Forgot to add this: For heavens sake, don't buy a TV add on for GG, unless yuo are a collector. And if you have one, don't use it. Your eyes will play tricks after a while of watching bland colors (16?).

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

[This message has been edited by Master Terry Bogard (edited February 27, 2001).]

NeoGML

Fighting Artist
well, i'm gonna dump my thoughts right here, so bear with me:

well, I used to like Gameboy a lot, but that was when i was gay and liked N sixty crap. damnit that thing sucked ass. i only got lke, $48 for it when i sold it too, however i think that's somewhat of a fair price
smile.gif

I totally hate gameboy, because that's when killed the Neo in the US. Fuckin pikachu... and fuckin Pokefans. they're too fuckin ignorant and too fuckin hooked on their shitboy's playing Pokemon rainbow which only are 8-bit and look like shit. The NGPC would still be here if it weren't for game gay. If people gave it a chance it would have flourished! (however, SNK really really needs to sack their "international dept." and needs a WAY better ad campaign) I'd be playing KOF R-3 right now if it weren't for gay nintendo. that's the reason i hate nintendo so much. people also like nintendo just because they're nintendo. a direct quote from Pocket Gamer Magazine, "Neo Pocket is good, but Gameboy has Pikachu!" and another one "Game Boy Advance is here! THE FUTURE IS NOW!" <-- did you READ THAT?!?!!? stealing SNK slogans!!!!!! fucking bastards. screw Nintendo. Screw Pokemon. and most of all SCREW GAMEBOY!!! Long live the great Neo Geo.

S

Silent_Scope

NES Game Axe - waste of money

Gameboy/gameboy pocket/gameboy color - have great castlevania, contra and final fantasy games on it. Unfortunately the technology is bit outdated so only few games have surpass gameboy capability.

TurboExpress - Excellent handheld if not better than NGPC. That's why I just shell out money to get this baby recently....after dreaming about it for 10 years. How can you pass so many great titles from TG 16?

GameGear - not my cup of tea. I only like Shinobi and sonic and that's about it. Poor sound for most of games.

Atari Lynx - a great system with many poor games (except blue lighting? I forgot the name so please correct me if I'm wrong)

Wonderswan/Wonderswan color - original B/W games are too expensive (around $45 or above) and I don't like Bandai games that much (Gundam...no way...no way.....).
Even though color version has FF series coming up. Well, too lazy to read those Japanese.

Noman - no comment. I'd rather get Turbo Express or NGPC instead of this one.

Game.com - what a joke....hahaha
biggrin.gif

Actually TurboExpress is no 1, then NGPC.

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

My dream girl....where are you?

S

Silent_Scope

Forgot to mention:
Currently I have 2 NGPC and TurboExpress.

Sold gameboy, gameboy pocket, gameboy color, game gear and NGP B/W two years ago.

Will not buy Lynx, Game Axe, Game.com. (two of my friends have them and .....no comment)

Wish to get Wonderswan Color but change my mind after seeing GameBoy Advance game list.

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

mliu92

n00b
I have a Nomad - it was the 2nd console I ever bought, 3 years ago on closeout at Electronics Boutique - and played it incessantly for about 2 weeks. Then I bought a regular Genesis and have stuck with that - not that the Nomad isn't a nice machine, but the battery life and passive-matrix screen are two big strikes against it.

Battery life - 2-3 hours on 6 AA's relegates it to more of a home-machine use on an AC adaptor (although I have to admit that it was very cool to play Phantasy Star II on a cross-country flight).

Passive-Matrix - with the plethora of action games on the Genesis, the screen blurring is very noticeable and unwelcome (e.g. on ThunderForce 2, I regularly do much worse on the Nomad than on the regular Genesis). For RPGs though, it's fairly nice - the screen is sharp enough to display the text, small though it may be.

I will get a TurboExpress next, more than likely; I have a soft spot in my heart for GG simply because of Shining Force: Sword of Hajya (in fact, it's the ONLY game I have for GG). I'd have loved to seen something like Shining Force Pocket on NGPC. SEGA's a third party now; how about it?

------------------
Cheers - Mike

S

Silent_Scope

I have my doubt if Sega will release any game on NGPC other than Sonic.
It'll be cool if Sega decides to join NGPC wagon again......maybe Sega will boost NGPC sales figure.
So far, NGPC is the best handheld to use battery (I bought mine when it first came out and just replaced batteries two weeks ago).

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
I read in somewhere that a company(I can't remember the name)it going to launch the Game Gear again! The mag said that 3-5 games were already in production for it.

Bryan

------------------
kofKAnimated2.gif
-Long live the Neo-

oi-punx

Stakes Winner
That company would be Majesco. You should find plenty of consoles at your local Toys R Us along with some games. You should also be able to find a turbo express brand new for about $160. Well worth it in my book.

abend

n00b
Well - the NGPC would be fantastic if it had a backlight for its display. So my top Handhelds are:
  • Turo Express
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • Sega Nomad
  • Atari Lynx
  • Sega Game Gear

S

Silent_Scope

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by abend:
Well - the NGPC would be fantastic if it had a backlight for its display. So my top Handhelds are:
  • Turo Express
  • Neo Geo Pocket Color
  • Sega Nomad
  • Atari Lynx
  • Sega Game Gear

I agree with this list....if take out Atari Lynx and replace with Gameboy color (even though it sux)

------------------
Silent_Scope
norikos.jpg

Master Terry Bogard

Belnar Institute Student
Yeah, I also agree.
Mine would be, in order:

1. Turbo Express
2. NGCP
3. Nomad
4. GBC
5. Game Gear
6. Atari Lynx
7. Game Com

------------------
ffmw_terry.gif

"Come on, get serious!"

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
i think the
nomads great
.. fact that you
can play any genesis game
on it is sweet
i plug mine directly to the
wall though
the dam thing just sucks
batteries like nothing
i think getting a neopocket was
one of the coolest things
i got the special ed
sam sho b/w clear pocket
and i played the helloutve it
i play round 1 constantly
i cant believe that its kof 97 for
a hand held that s
just too cool

------------------
99clark.gif

HEEEEEYYYYYYYY!!!!

SerialExperiments

Quiz Detective
I have a GBC and a Game gear and they both suck compaired to the NGCP.

iori6w1.gif

------------------
"No matter where you go, you are always connected"

endgamer

Another Striker
The Sega Nomad RULES. I usually use an ac adaptor though. And I love the fact you can hook it up to the tele and play it on the big screen. Turbo Express is cool as well but I wish you could hook that up to the tv, now I will have to buy a Turbo Duo.
Neo Geo Pocket kicks ass too. I am working on collecting mostly UK titles. Anybody got any MINT titles for sale?

BioMotor_Unitron

Global Moderator,
20 Year Member
Game Axe is a piece of garbage. The ads I saw showed Tomba from the PSX on the screen rather than anything actually being played on it (the screen is very low quality, and the interior is a mess of wires and bad soldering jobs). Who knows, maybe they improved their manufacturing techniques over time, but I doubt it.

As for the NGPC, it is pretty much perfect in every way, but I wish it had an A/V out so I could plug into a TV when I am at home.
wink.gif

-BioMotor_Unitron

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
The best handheld ever is The TurboExpress I bought mine in 91 and nothing has beat it in the last 10 years in terms of picture quality or graphics. It has the best possible screen since it uses active matrix technology (plays great in the dark) and the graphics are superb. I even got a tv tuner for it so if you ever get bored of the games you can just watch tv.

The gameboy advance looks promising it might be the first system to beat the TurboExpress.

S

Silent_Scope

Big N finally beats Turbo Express by releasing GBA........in technology I mean.

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

S

Silent_Scope

well...cough cough....hmm....
Sega...not exactly....cough cough

------------------
Strength and Honor

Silent_Scope
"You have to defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance"

jbeedham

yeah he did that, ,
TurboExpress wins hands down against the Nomad!!!!

First off, when comparing the TurboExpress against the Nomad you must remember the home systems they are based on. The TurboExpress is a portable version of the TurboGrafx-16 and the Nomad is a portable version of the Genesis. In terms of specs, the TurboGrafx-16 was definitely better than the Genesis.
Also the TurboExpress uses a better screen the Nomad. The Nomads screen gets all blurry at times since it uses a cheaper screen.